Thread: Advice needed: Setting up keeper contratcs League an

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Advice needed: Setting up keeper contratcs League an

Hi there,

TLDR: starting contract League, looking for advice how to make it great

I am about to start my first keeper league and i dont want my any mistakes that i will regret later on. After researching, i decided to use contracts for keepers. We would have 2, 3 and 4 year contracts. No extension. No contratcs for FAs. Players will get their contratcs traded with them. If players is dropped, contract is terminated.

This is what I Got so far. But i cant figure out, how exactly will it work from year to year.

Lets say, we have 18 men rosters and first season we get 9 contracts (3 of each). New season just 3 contracts.

What should we do, when rosters have more or less than 9 players under contract at the end of the season? Should we make it 9 maximum and if you have more, you need to decide who to cut? And how do we deal with someone, who ends up with 6 players under contract?

Are Those Fantasy sites allowing different number of keepers for each team? Is it possible for one manager to draft 9 players and other 12? How Can i setup draft like that?

Which site would Be best for This kind of League? We are not going to Pay, for now. Probably. I am going to keep the spresdsheet with contratcs, so most important when deciding where to play, is keeper and draft flexibility settings.

Do you have any other advice?

Thanks a Lot ahead.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Advice needed: Setting up keeper contratcs League an

You can set up different numbers of keepers per team in most platforms, and you can successfully run a draft for different numbers of keepers per team.

Biggest thing is to be clear on rules, and open to suggestions.

Say you have 10 teams, and 20 players. After the first year, 8 teams have their normal 9 keeper contracts, while the last two teams made a trade, and team A has 11 keepers, while team B has 7. You set up the draft (usually 11 rounds to fill out the rest of everyone's rosters - 11rounds +9keepers =20players), and have the keepers slotted starting in the last round, and moving forward.
    So the draft will continue through 9 rounds as usual, but after that, team A has a full roster, and their pick in round 10 would be skipped since they already have a keeper slotted in there. After round 11, everyone except team B has a full roster, so team B gets the last two picks of the draft as everyone else is technically skipped for rounds 12 and 13.
    Does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

You can do this all on yahoo I know for sure, and I'm pretty sure Fantrax as well. Don't know about the others.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

I know Fantrax had some wonky updates this year, but from what I gather it's still the best place to run leagues like this.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks Eskimo, it actually did.

What do you think about limiting number of keepers? Should i force managers to cut it down to 9 every year, or should they keep all the keepers, even whole team? I mean, what does it do to the league going forward? I dont want it to become dynasty. Do you have any experience?

Dobber Sports Titan

If there's a limited number of keepers to start, and only three added in every year, you have it set up right now so by year you are going to have various keeper numbers:
    Year 1: 9
    Year 2: 12
    Year 3:12
    Year 4: 11
    Year 5: 9
    Year 6+: 9

That's your average number of keepers anyways. You could have some teams keeping 18 players and some keeping none, but you'll never have more than 2/3 of your players kept (that's your peak in yrs 2-3). You can tinker with the numbers to have a constant 9 every year (if you start with 3x1yr, 3x2yr, 2x3yr, 1x4yr, it works with then adding a 2, 3, and 4 every year).

What this league setup will do is promote a distinct top and bottom half, with half stocking up keepers, and half buying FAs going for a win. It creates trade discussions, turnover, and creative asset management. Leagues like this can work well.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Wow thanks a Lot. Now i am thinking, we will start the first season with 6 contracts. Then we will add 3 more every year.

But i will also Give a restriction, that you cannot apply new contract of certain type, If you carry More than 3 players with same contract type and that are not at least halfway into it.

Example: i carry 4 players with 3 years left on their contract prior draft. So after draft, i am not awarded that new 4 years old contract unless i trade one of Those guys before season starts.

Makes Sense to you?

Dobber Sports Titan

Not 100%. Are you planning on limiting specifically 4yr contracts in this example, regardless of how far through they are, or is it a certain number of contracts with a certain length remaining?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Yeah, Sory. I made i mistake. So i try again:

Example: i carry 4 players with 3 years left on their 4yr contract prior draft. So after draft, i am not awarded that new 4yr contract unless i trade one of Those guys before season starts.

But If at least one player is 2 years into 4 yr contract, it doesnt count and i can award that one 4yr contract.

Dobber Sports Newbie

One more question: do you think i should consider putting a limit on number of goalies under contract?

Dobber Sports Titan

Makes sense.

As for goalies, it depends on your league setup. If you set up the rest of the league properly it shouldn't matter.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks a lot. It was helpful. Really

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpro32 View Post
    Thanks a lot. It was helpful. Really
    That's what we're here for!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Hi Eskimo,

I have one more question. It is not about contracts, but about scoring.... We are playing H2H each category. We have G,A,SOG,PPP,ATOI,+/-,BLK,HITS + W,GAA and SV%...... I would like to get rid of +/-, but then we end up with even number of categories, which we don't like. What would you add instead of +/- ? ... I am thinking faceoffs, but I am not sure, I am affraid that centers will became too valuable.... Couple years ago, when we started, we had Defensman Points in our first season and we got rid of it after one year, because it made D-men too important. Does the same happen with centers when I add faceoffs?

Dobber Sports Titan

Faceoffs is definitely an option I like, but I would actually consider adding saves instead. With two of your three goalie categories being average based, someone could get by winning those two on most weeks just by starting one goalie three times, and then loading skaters. Adding saves balances the goalie value a bit.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Hmmm. That's definitely something to consider. Thanks