Thread: Winner rule change suggestion

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Winner rule change suggestion

Good afternoon all,

In our one-year league we have it set so that the winner gets to make a rule change for the following year and is in place moving forward until someone uses their rule change to dismiss it. This can be related to the the league set up itself or can be more playful. We've had changes ranging from winner changing one team name for following year to increasing roster sizes.

I was lucky enough to win this season so will need to present my rule change in the not too distant future and thought I'd see if anyone has anything similar and if anyone has any good ideas for rule changes?

Thanks in advance!
    --------------------------------------------
    10 team ESPN H-2-H each cat, Keep 3 league, 7 P/U p/wk
    20 man roster, 15 start, 5 bench, 1 IR
    Position min - 2xF, 2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 1xUtil, 2xG, 5xBench

G, A, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits, Blocks, D-Point, W, SVs, SO, SV%

2015 - Third
    2016 - Winner
    2017 - Third
    2018 - Runner Up
    2019 - Winner
    2021 - Winner
    2022 - Runner Up

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Winner rule change suggestion

Interesting wrinkle. I'm not sure I like that you could propose a rule that really helps sway the balance of the league, so I feel I would keep away from that. I would either go for something that increases league activity, or does something along the lines of being comical and not ideal for the loser.

I have a 10-team league with some guys I know from university. Most of us live in the Toronto area, and we were trying to come up with a rule to reduce tanking, and one year we implemented that the team finishing in last would have to busk in a Toronto Subway station with a recorder until they had gotten to $20. Definitely upped the participation at the bottom of the league that year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Haha nice, I like it.

Yeah we have the name change humiliator which has gone down well. The rule change does need to be accepted by the majority so you can't go too wild. For example last year the winner wanted to change to a keeper league. It didn't get the support though as we have a couple of managers who don't participate as frequently and my argument is I want full participation from all before considering this.

We have reverse draft order from previous season final position. The tanking for draft position was a concern though so we implemented with majority vote to have the teams who didn't make the playoffs to go into a lottery for draft position. Should keep people honest.

We all put in some money for the league. I'm tempted to suggest doubling it. If you make the play off you get half your buy in back but if you miss out you lose it all.
    --------------------------------------------
    10 team ESPN H-2-H each cat, Keep 3 league, 7 P/U p/wk
    20 man roster, 15 start, 5 bench, 1 IR
    Position min - 2xF, 2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 1xUtil, 2xG, 5xBench

G, A, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits, Blocks, D-Point, W, SVs, SO, SV%

2015 - Third
    2016 - Winner
    2017 - Third
    2018 - Runner Up
    2019 - Winner
    2021 - Winner
    2022 - Runner Up

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Interesting wrinkle. I'm not sure I like that you could propose a rule that really helps sway the balance of the league, so I feel I would keep away from that. I would either go for something that increases league activity, or does something along the lines of being comical and not ideal for the loser.

I have a 10-team league with some guys I know from university. Most of us live in the Toronto area, and we were trying to come up with a rule to reduce tanking, and one year we implemented that the team finishing in last would have to busk in a Toronto Subway station with a recorder until they had gotten to $20. Definitely upped the participation at the bottom of the league that year.
    If it's a one year league, I'm presuming this means no keepers. And if there are no keepers, I'm not sure any rule change can sway the balance of the league. Every team will be drafting under the same rules. I'd probably swap out PIMs (a category I don't care for much) and add something like GAA for goalies or SH TOI or FOW or FOW %.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Make PIM's a minus as in real hockey they are a negative.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's a one-year league, so the rule changes can work okay.

I'd suggest a second prize, an all-play record or total points prize to give people who have horrible scheduling luck something else to go for.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

If it was me I would cut 7 pickups per week to 2 maximum. 7 is way to high and ripe for abuse with churning, which can reduce trade activity.

If you're looking for a "fun" rule I would include a bonus/award for the manager that makes trades with the highest number of trades. That would encourage both more trades, and encourage the active guys to seek out deals with the less active guys.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

LawMan nailed what I was going to suggest - limiting the moves per week, in an effort to bump trade activity. As a wrinkle to LM's "bonus" suggestion - maybe a league vote on "best trade" (instead of just "most") to earn the award?

We've been tossing around the idea of a "GM of the year" award (full league vote) in our keeper pool, and the guy who finished 3rd (just out of the $) got a TON of votes (mock) to recognize the effort he put in, despite having some bad injury luck that affected his finish.

Tiny - but meaningful - consolation for a GM who "plays it right to the end" but doesn't have the hockey gods on his side that particular year...
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Jedi

I like the limit moves per week. It forces teams to trade. Even if it means a side deal so another GM can pick up a player from the wire and flip him over.

Other thought. Add in a bonus winner.

Reigning champion gets to either
    A. Keep one player from his current team
    B. Draft 1st overall and maintain their actual draft slot in the 1st round
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Trades in a one year league often just leads to collusion; limiting moves to encourage trades just seems like an awful idea.