Thread: Help me pick at 16th overall

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Help me pick at 16th overall

Hey guys, so every safe and obvious picks are gone and I see rankings all over the place for the next 10-15 picks. I'm looking to get the better fantasy asset for the league in my sig(H2H multi cat).

I usually try not to pick D-men or goaltender because of how long it takes to get to the big show but if one of Seider, Soderstrom, York or Harley is the BPA I'll go with one of them.

Was also thinking about the few fowards left taken in the first round like Poulin, Tomasino, Suzuki, Pelletier and Foot.

Right now my mind was set on Suzuki or Seider but I would really like to hear what you guys think. Thanks!

Here's the first 15 picks ;
    1. Hughes
    2. Kakko
    3. Turcotte
    4. Byram
    5. Cozens
    6. Dach
    7. Knight
    8. Boldy
    9. Caufield
    10. Podkolzin
    11. Zegras
    12. Krebs
    13. Newhook
    14. Kaliyev
    15. Broberg
    16 teams Dynasty H2H, 25 Pro 17 Farm 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 6B
    Cats: G, A, P, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

C: Mackinnon, Matthews, Seguin(RW), Stamkos(LW/RW), Couturier
    LW: E. Kane, Pacioretty, Rakell(RW), Miller(RW), Palat, Johnsson
    RW: Voracek, Dadonov(LW), Pavelski(C), Eberle, Olofsson
    D: Burns, Jones, Ristolainen, Gustafsson, Weber, Fowler, D.Toews
    G: Hellebucyk, Varlamov, Mrazek

Farm: R.Suzuki, Garland, Kostin, A.Thomas, Appleton,
    Kahun, Marody, Dorofeyev, Paul, Lizotte, Fox, ¨Perunovich, Beaudin, Rosen, Walker, Brook

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Help me pick at 16th overall

Tough one but I don't think you can go wrong with Seider, Tomasino or Suzuki at 16. Depends on how patient you want to be.

FWIW: Seider went 13th in our draft while Tomasino went 15th and (I took) Suzuki 16th.

I think Seider will be in the NHL sooner and be a better player than others might suspect of him. I think he will end up somewhere in that Weber, Doughty, AP, Jones, Trouba, Ekholm range...

Tomasino has that Seguin/Duchene-lite style to him while Suzuki (a personal favourite of mine) will be more of a Backstrom/Kuznetsov-lite type.

Looking at your signature I'd probably lean toward Seider. You already have three young studs at C and could use an all-around stud option at D more once Burns hangs them up. But it depends on your next picks - when are you picking next? There will be 4 or 5 dmen available in the early 20s to choose from while Tomasino and Suzuki will be gone and leave a larger gap between themselves and the next batch of forwards available...

Those are my thoughts for whatever they're worth... If only you had a 3-headed coin to flip! Good luck with your ultimate decision.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Titan

Suzuki would be my pick.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Tough one but I don't think you can go wrong with Seider, Tomasino or Suzuki at 16. Depends on how patient you want to be.

I think Seider will be in the NHL sooner and be a better player than others might suspect of him.

Tomasino has that Seguin-lite style to him while Suzuki will be more of a Backstrom-lite.

Looking at your signature I'd probably lean toward Seider. You already have three young studs at C and could use an all-around stud option at D more once Burns hangs them up. But it depends on your next picks - when are you picking next? There will be 4 or 5 dmen available in the early 20s to choose from while Tomasino and Suzuki will be gone and leave a larger gap between themselves and the next batch of forwards available...

Those are my thoughts for whatever they're worth... If only you had a 3-headed coin to flip! Good luck with your ultimate decision.
    Thanks man for the reply, and your insight does help. Im only picking again at 32nd overall so I need to make a slam dunk pick here because I think there wont be much left at that moment. I like what you said about the NHL readiness of Seider (and I think he has quite a clear path to big minutes in DET and Yzeman must have see something in him making him the 6th overall).

My farm team could still use skilled prospect at the FWD position tho.. I think Tomasino is very safe pick but maybe since he plays in NSH it will take longer before he plays. And I like Suzuki alot but he might always be stuck behind Aho and Necas in Carolina..? Man not an easy decision lol

Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Kahun, Marody, Dorofeyev, Paul, Lizotte, Fox, ¨Perunovich, Beaudin, Rosen, Walker, Brook

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Justinsane87 View Post
    Thanks man for the reply, and your insight does help. Im only picking again at 32nd overall so I need to make a slam dunk pick here because I think there wont be much left at that moment. I like what you said about the NHL readiness of Seider (and I think he has quite a clear path to big minutes in DET and Yzeman must have see something in him making him the 6th overall).

My farm team could still use skilled prospect at the FWD position tho.. I think Tomasino is very safe pick but maybe since he plays in NSH it will take longer before he plays. And I like Suzuki alot but he might always be stuck behind Aho and Necas in Carolina..? Man not an easy decision lol

Any other opinions would be appreciated.
    We are on the same page for sure. It isn't an easy decision but (as I added into my original post above)...

FWIW: Seider went 13th in our draft (over the wknd) while Tomasino went 15th and (I took) Suzuki 16th.

Id personally be leaning toward Seider or Suzuki and go with your gut from there. Chances are that both Suzuki and Tomasino end up starting on the wing with sheltered, middle six ES minutes (and decent PP opportunities) the first 2-3 years of their career before they move over to C in any event.

That said, I think Seider has a higher chance of getting you a solid, multi-cat floor -- and sooner rather than later. While Tomasino and Suzuki have some work to do and size to gain before they begin climbing toward their more pure offensive NHL potentials.

Good luck with your decision and remember - it's all about having fun. If you're stuck between two guys -- pick who you think you will enjoy watching most as they continue to develop and eventually make their way into the NHL.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

I would pick Seider in your position.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think Phil Tomasino is going to go apesh*t in his D+1 year and make a lot of teams regret passing on him. His 5v5 production as a 17 year old in the OHL is up there with the top guys. You can't go wrong with any of Tomasino, Brink, or Dorofeyev. All premier offensive talents. Brink's USHL scoring was more impressive than a lot of the NTDP guys, and Dorofeyev absolutely roasted the MHL. Podkolzin had 8 points in 12 MHL games, whereas Dorofeyev had 31 points in 19 MHL games. They both played in the KHL as well.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Deity

Suzuki would be my choice but Tomasino would be a close 2nd.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I think Phil Tomasino is going to go apesh*t in his D+1 year and make a lot of teams regret passing on him. His 5v5 production as a 17 year old in the OHL is up there with the top guys. You can't go wrong with any of Tomasino, Brink, or Dorofeyev. All premier offensive talents. Brink's USHL scoring was more impressive than a lot of the NTDP guys, and Dorofeyev absolutely roasted the MHL. Podkolzin had 8 points in 12 MHL games, whereas Dorofeyev had 31 points in 19 MHL games. They both played in the KHL as well.
    AAhh thanks mounD, but now you make my decision even harder I have them on my list to (Doro and Brink) but wanted to try to draft them with my second round pick since they sled further down in the real draft and may go under the radar (not anymore if any fellow GM sees this post lol)

Dobber Sports Giant

AAhh thanks mounD, but now you make my decision even harder I have them on my list to (Doro and Brink) but wanted to try to draft them with my second round pick since they sled further down in the real draft and may go under the radar (not anymore if any fellow GM sees this post lol)
    uhh ... well ... you see, they're bad actually. Don't draft them. Yuck.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you're going forward, take Tomasino. I'm with mounD in that there's untapped skill there. He has natural ability in his skating and puck skill.

If you're going D, take Seider since it's multicat and opportunity matters, especially for D. I like York and Harley, a lot. But when/are they going to surpass Gostisbehere/Provorov/Sanheim or Klingberg/Heiskanen.

So guys, I ended up trading the pick (16th) for a top 10-12 in next year's draft. But I also made a trade to move up by giving my 3rd round pick (48th) and my 2nd rounder (32nd) for 26th overall and got Suzuki with the pick..! Very happy with that.

Also after the 3 rounds draft (48 total picks), I picked Dorofeyev and Puistola as FA because they weren't draft.

I think I did good considering I only had a 26th overall pick.

Thanks all for the great help and comments!

The Great One

So guys, I ended up trading the pick (16th) for a top 10-12 in next year's draft. But I also made a trade to move up by giving my 3rd round pick (48th) and my 2nd rounder (32nd) for 26th overall and got Suzuki with the pick..! Very happy with that.

Also after the 3 rounds draft (48 total picks), I picked Dorofeyev and Puistola as FA because they weren't draft.

I think I did good considering I only had a 26th overall pick.

Thanks all for the great help and comments!
    Kinda wish I was drafting in your league; well done!