Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Puljujarvi Requests Trade From Oilers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Puljujarvi Requests Trade From Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Interesting thought process. You do realize that at the age that Jesse Puljujarvi is right now, Connor Brown had played ZERO NHL games.

I think everyone is greatly underestimating how many teams in the NHL would love to acquire Puljujarvi right now. His value is nowhere near as low as people think it is. He's a 6'4 forward who can skate very well and who dominated the world jrs as a 17 year old. Teams are thinking that the Oilers have slowed his development but they have not ruined him.

My prediction is that Puljujarvi comes to his senses, fires his agent and reports to camp. He plays the full season on RNH's wing and ends up with 45 points this year and that number increases to 55 the following year and then he settles in as a 60 point forward for the following 5-8 years.
    But I think that's the underlying issue here. You're right... Pulj got exposure WAY BEFORE Brown. And now look at them. Pulj's trajectory has done nothing but go down and Brown hit the ground running when he finally DID make the show. (not saying he's elite... but definitely producing better than Pulj and no where near the expectations that Pulj had).

Whether this was inevitable for Pulj... I don't think anyone can say for sure. But Letting Brown ripen in the AHL was a win for leaf's management while Oiler's management continued to show their ineptness in dealing with this, once considered, formidable pick.

Dobber Sports Deity

Brown has shown that's he's nothing more than a 30pt guy in the NHL so it's not like he's anything special himself.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Brown has shown that's he's nothing more than a 30pt guy in the NHL so it's not like he's anything special himself.
    I can see where you may draw that conclusion. And yes, Brown "IS SHOWING" what he can be (likely his floor) at the NHL level. But would you also admit that Pulj hasn't proven or "shown" that he's "ANYTHING" at the NHL level yet. And that's for a former 4th overall pick... hmmm.

I think the proven NHL player is currently a little more "special" than the currently unsuccessful prospect until otherwise proven.

Dobber Sports Stud

Many teams would love to have this guy on board. Oilers should be patient and look for the best offer
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I can see where you may draw that conclusion. And yes, Brown "IS SHOWING" what he can be (likely his floor) at the NHL level. But would you also admit that Pulj hasn't proven or "shown" that he's "ANYTHING" at the NHL level yet. And that's for a former 4th overall pick... hmmm.

I think the proven NHL player is currently a little more "special" than the currently unsuccessful prospect until otherwise proven.
    Hes definitely not shown much at the NHL level, but hes barely at an age where most expect much anyway.

We all know his development has been botched but I'm also confident enough to say that hes far from showing us what hes capable of. Brown on the other hand has pretty much shown us what he is.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

The Connor Brown talk is just silly - I'm impressed he made it to page 4. No way Holland is going to give this guy away unless it's a truly irresistible offer. Hit the reset switch, let him play in Europe, and give him time to calm down. He's a big guy and will take some time to reach his full potential.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    The Connor Brown talk is just silly - I'm impressed he made it to page 4. No way Holland is going to give this guy away unless it's a truly irresistible offer. Hit the reset switch, let him play in Europe, and give him time to calm down. He's a big guy and will take some time to reach his full potential.
    Exactly.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm sorry, but the people dissing Brown obviously haven't seen him play and are completely speaking out of their you-know-whats.
    And if you haven't seen him play, go look at his career numbers.
    Even if you want to call him a McDavid coat-tailer in junior, fine, but how do you explain to me 90 points in 110 AHL games. AND a 20 goal NHL season with minimal offensive deployment.

As of today, Brown is a far better NHL player. I don't think any reasonable person could argue that.
    Could Pulj pass him in the future? Sure, maybe, but at least have the objectivity to admit that it would be a big gamble. Once you're able to concede that, you should be able to concede that Pulj's value is simply not what you think it is.
    Brown on McD's wing is WAY better than someone like Chiasson. It's a mistake to think of him as a 4th liner.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I'm sorry, but the people dissing Brown obviously haven't seen him play and are completely speaking out of their you-know-whats.
    Even if you want to call him a McDavid coat-tailer in junior, fine, but how do you explain to me 90 points in 110 AHL games. AND a 20 goal NHL season with minimal offensive deployment.

As of today, Brown is a far better NHL player. I don't think any reasonable person could argue that.
    Could Pulj pass him in the future? Sure, maybe, but at least have the objectivity to admit that it would be a big gamble. Once you're able to concede that, you should be able to concede that Pulj's value is simply not what you think it is.
    Brown on McD's wing is WAY better than someone like Chiasson. It's a mistake to think of him as a 4th liner.
    Spoken like a true blue Leafs fan.

Dobber Sports Pro

Cool Re: Puljujarvi Requests Trade From Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post

...and he's scored 22 in total over the past two seasons. It's a lengthy list of bottom-six guys who had success in the minors. Anyway, now I'm getting suckered in to talking about him.

Administrator

I don't think Pulju for Brown would go down 1-for-1 for either side really. Think they'd both be involved in something larger between these two.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If Brown is so much better than Pulju, why are the Leafs trading him 1 for 1? Wouldn’t that not make sense? I can see the trade happening because NHL teams are stupid, but if Brown was a legitimate 20 goal scorer (instead of a guy that scored 20 once) it seems to me it would be pretty dumb to trade that for an (apparently) far inferior player.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm a Leafs fan too and Brown doesn't do much for me at all. Decent penalty killer I guess but a total boat anchor offensively.

The year he scored 20 was the year of the big rookies (2016-17) and he averaged the most minutes and PP minutes he's gotten in his career to date. TOI and PP time have fallen ever since and young guys like Johnsson and Kapanen have already leapfrogged him on the depth chart. He just ain't that good I'm sorry.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Spoken like a true blue Leafs fan.
    When Brown’a playing for the Soilers... this take will change.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    When Brown’a playing for the Soilers... this take will change.
    I called him a 30 pt player here. If that's all he does in Edmonton, I'll still be calling him a 30 pt player.

I have no issues criticizing any player no matter what team they play for. I'm an Oilers fan but I also have no issues calling out crappy Oiler players when deserved.

Would I love to see Edmonton acquire Brown and hope he turns into something more; absolutely but I'm not expecting it.