Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Puljujarvi Requests Trade From Oilers

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Puljujarvi Requests Trade From Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I'm not sure you understand just how far his value has fallen.
    There is really only one person that knows what his value is...and that is Ken Holland. Anything else is just perceived value or biased-opinionated value.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    There is really only one person that knows what his value is...and that is Ken Holland. Anything else is just perceived value or biased-opinionated value.
    Not sure that's an accurate assessment there.

Holland can set a value at what he perceives it to be, but if no one is willing to pay, then Holland is wrong on his value. His value will be set by how he is perceived around the league, and I am fairly certain that that has come down a fair bit from where he was originally drafted. Rumblings out of Edmonton is that if they were to go back to that draft, he would not have been drafted until the 2nd round.

Dobber Sports Deity

Not sure that's an accurate assessment there.

Holland can set a value at what he perceives it to be, but if no one is willing to pay, then Holland is wrong on his value. His value will be set by how he is perceived around the league, and I am fairly certain that that has come down a fair bit from where he was originally drafted. Rumblings out of Edmonton is that if they were to go back to that draft, he would not have been drafted until the 2nd round.
    At the end of the day, Ken Holland is the one who sets the price. He doesn't have to trade him if others don't agree on his perceived value.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At the end of the day, Ken Holland is the one who sets the price. He doesn't have to trade him if others don't agree on his perceived value.
    For sure, but then that means Hollands valuation is wrong. A price is set by the buyer as much as it is the seller.

Dobber Sports Pro

For sure, but then that means Hollands valuation is wrong. A price is set by the buyer as much as it is the seller.
    Either way, it's still only Holland who has access to both those informations. Value offered by the buyers (other teams) and value perceived by the seller (Holland himself). The rest is pure speculation.

I believe his value is not as low as some want to portray it here. He's still a young valuable asset that many teams believe they can salvage from the Oilers mess. But again, only speculation.

Administrator

Holland needs to play this like Stevie Y did the similar Drouin situation.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sounds like Ken and I agree on this, and this makes me happy.

https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/statu...752346625?s=19
    but sometimes... when you get things like Gum or Bird Shit in your hair, you just NEED TO GET IT OUT!

Remember back when there was a critic's push to try and bridge the gap between McDavid/Eichel and Pulj? lol... Love to dig those old threads/articles up.

What's more, looking like Columbus made a genius reach for PLD instead of Pulj and Pulj did indeed "DROP" to Edmonton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Holland needs to play this like Stevie Y did the similar Drouin situation.
    This right here. Gotta agree with Steve.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    LOL Puljujarvi isn't even worth a 1st himself.

Brown has more goals than Puljujarvi has points.

Give me Brown over Puljujarvi anyday of the week. Especially at $2M.
    Interesting thought process. You do realize that at the age that Jesse Puljujarvi is right now, Connor Brown had played ZERO NHL games.

I think everyone is greatly underestimating how many teams in the NHL would love to acquire Puljujarvi right now. His value is nowhere near as low as people think it is. He's a 6'4 forward who can skate very well and who dominated the world jrs as a 17 year old. Teams are thinking that the Oilers have slowed his development but they have not ruined him.

My prediction is that Puljujarvi comes to his senses, fires his agent and reports to camp. He plays the full season on RNH's wing and ends up with 45 points this year and that number increases to 55 the following year and then he settles in as a 60 point forward for the following 5-8 years.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Interesting thought process. You do realize that at the age that Jesse Puljujarvi is right now, Connor Brown had played ZERO NHL games.

I think everyone is greatly underestimating how many teams in the NHL would love to acquire Puljujarvi right now. His value is nowhere near as low as people think it is. He's a 6'4 forward who can skate very well and who dominated the world jrs as a 17 year old. Teams are thinking that the Oilers have slowed his development but they have not ruined him.

My prediction is that Puljujarvi comes to his senses, fires his agent and reports to camp. He plays the full season on RNH's wing and ends up with 45 points this year and that number increases to 55 the following year and then he settles in as a 60 point forward for the following 5-8 years.
    Connor Brown also has less double hip surgeries than JP.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

On the value thing: obviously Holland is one of the few people in the league who knows both how Edmonton values him and how the league values him, but anyone valuing him as a “former 4th overall pick” is just wrong. He’s a D+3 RFA with service time to have him as close as possible to UFA status and is waiver eligible and is coming off major surgery. That has a massive impact on his value. His draft slot simply does not matter at this point. That’s like calling Sam Bennett a former 4th overall pick. No, he’s just a middle six winger with some value.

On the Drouin thing: that’s quite a stretch. Drouin scored 32 points in 70 games in his first NHL season, by his third NHL season he had a 53 point season. Puljujarvi has scored 37 points in 139 games. I know the message is “patience”, but the situations are so dissimilar they can’t even be compared.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Connor Brown has also shown he can be an affective NHL player in a specific role. Pulj has moments, but like a box of chocolates - from game to game - you never know what you're going to get.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    On the value thing: obviously Holland is one of the few people in the league who knows both how Edmonton values him and how the league values him, but anyone valuing him as a “former 4th overall pick” is just wrong. He’s a D+3 RFA with service time to have him as close as possible to UFA status and is waiver eligible and is coming off major surgery. That has a massive impact on his value. His draft slot simply does not matter at this point. That’s like calling Sam Bennett a former 4th overall pick. No, he’s just a middle six winger with some value.
    Not often I agree with you, but this is bang on.
    Oilers track record of developing prospects doesn't help either.

Administrator

I would also caution against taking the public quotes seriously. Holland says A, the agent says B. Both might be full of shit. We really don't know.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

On the Drouin thing: that’s quite a stretch. Drouin scored 32 points in 70 games in his first NHL season, by his third NHL season he had a 53 point season. Puljujarvi has scored 37 points in 139 games. I know the message is “patience”, but the situations are so dissimilar they can’t even be compared.
    Agree with the value statements. Pulju is a sunk cost. He's worth something but not what his draft position reflects. Those days are gone.

On Drouin. My point is that the team cannot allow a player to dictate when and where they will be moved when they don't really have that leverage. Pulju can go play elsewhere or sign an offer sheet. That's the extent of his leverage. For a trade, the team has to wait for the right value in return. Pulju hasn't shown near what Drouin had to the point of his demands, so scale down the expectation to something much lesser than what Drouin ultimately returned. But Pulju also hasn't hit the point where he should return nothing a la Yakupov.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Superstar

Puli is a true unknown at this point. He still has high potential and upside but he sure has not shown that at the NHL level. I am happy that Holland is the man in charge of making this decision because he has previously shown that he has an abundance of patience for players. If Holland cannot make a deal that brings back a top-6 winger in the offseason I would not mind Puli signing a 1-year deal to play in Europe.

He really belongs in the AHL to start the season but since he needs to go thru waivers that will not happen. Playing big minutes in Europe to re-find his game and confidence (while recovering from double hip surgery) could be just the thing that is needed to make him a usable asset once again. Assuming he can have some success he could then either re-join the Oilers or get traded for something worthwhile.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR