Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Corey Perry Buy Out

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Corey Perry Buy Out

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post

I would love to see the Bruins sign him to a bonus laden deal. I think he's hungry for another Cup and if he's back to full health, he could fit in pretty nicely with Krejci & Debrusk.
    I would be wary of any team wanting to put Perry in their top-6 right now. He's got the talent to move up there if needed (injuries, bad performances, etc.) but I wouldn't want my GM to pencil him in that role in the offseason.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    I would be wary of any team wanting to put Perry in their top-6 right now. He's got the talent to move up there if needed (injuries, bad performances, etc.) but I wouldn't want my GM to pencil him in that role in the offseason.
    Only way I would do it.. is something like this:

Van (or similar team) signs him 1yr - 3m. Puts him with EP/Horvat - PP1
    deadline move him for assets.

Give him the chance to pump his own value in that role to show a contending team he's still got gas left.
    Low risk - med. reward opportunity for the team signing him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Give him the chance to pump his own value in that role to show a contending team he's still got gas left.
    I could see that for sure. For a team like Vancouver or any other in no hurry to really compete, that could make sense. Still, I'd rather let another young forward get that spot or target someone else with higher upside. But sure, if by August, Perry is still sitting there and you don't have many other options, it could work.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

I think this is a fantastic idea and I really hope they consider it. Having Perry out there adds a little bit more bite too.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Per TSN:

Perry, 34, is in the unique position to bet on himself. With the salary cap not rising as sharply as expected, he can opt to sign a one-year performance bonus-laden contract with a small salary cap hit that will be beneficial for teams – and mutually beneficial if he performs.

Those type of deals are typically reserved for players aged 35 and over in the NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. But Perry can sign one because he missed more than 100 days of the league’s 185-day season last year rehabbing a tough knee injury.

I would love to see the Bruins sign him to a bonus laden deal. I think he's hungry for another Cup and if he's back to full health, he could fit in pretty nicely with Krejci & Debrusk.
    Loophole. Good to know. I can see him signing a bonus heavy contract, this is the exact scenario such contracts are intended for in my mind. Signing a light base ($2mil) and bonus heavy contract and penciling Perry in as a 3rd line player seems like a smart play for a contending team.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    Agreed. I do believe he'd fit well on the Bruins second line if he's healthy. But he'd also be a good fit playing with the Bruins depth guys as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Loophole. Good to know. I can see him signing a bonus heavy contract, this is the exact scenario such contracts are intended for in my mind. Signing a light base ($2mil) and bonus heavy contract and penciling Perry in as a 3rd line player seems like a smart play for a contending team.
    I definitely see him more as a fit for a team like the Bruins/Maple Leafs/Penguins/Stars/Jets who could use a hungry vet chasing a Cup. Especially since he likely signs a one-year deal now to show he still has what it takes and hopes to earn a more lucrative contract to prolong his career.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

he'll find work ; it just might take a day or two after july 1

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    he'll find work ; it just might take a day or two after july 1
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed before then. Once a player has been bought out, they don't have to wait to sign with a new team do they?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed before then. Once a player has been bought out, they don't have to wait to sign with a new team do they?
    I'd assume he's as free as a bird but good question .

my take is that the teams he might be more interested in signing with (contenders) might need to move some furniture around first before hitting redial on perry