Thread: Fantasy Strategy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Fantasy Strategy

Looking for everyone's opinion on their fantasy strategy for aging players in a multicat salary keeper league. Players such as Suter/Byfuglien, while still producing, are obviously on the decline soon due to age.

Do you ride then to the end, then cut them loose to waivers? Or trade them and get what you can? In a cap league it is hard, because most owners don't want the salary cap hit. My guess is a the best trade would be possible to a contender in season trying to win. Other than that, my opinion is to ride them to the end due to the minimal return.

Administrator

Default Re: Fantasy Strategy

Are there penalties for dropping players under contract in your league?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Are there penalties for dropping players under contract in your league?
    No. No Buyouts/penalties/etc. Can drop anyone at any time for any reason.

Administrator

Since you don't have to worry about multi-year commitments then ride your horses till they're no longer worth their cap hit. Don't play into the trade market.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Since you don't have to worry about multi-year commitments then ride your horses till they're no longer worth their cap hit. Don't play into the trade market.
    That was my theory. Just want theories on both sides of the fence to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Been in keeper leagues for about 4 years now, and just running into the age factor and aforementioned issues.

Dobber Sports Stud

I won my one league last season off of this. If I lived through he value of players in trades, you’d think I had a team of waiver wire crud. Guys like Krejci, Carter, Buff, Weber, Staal, Hornqvist. They can still have so much value to a team beyond the bs 4th round picks that you get offered.
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Administrator

Simple concept: Don't make bad trades

If moving a player requires a bad trade, then that player is going to deliver the most value for you on your roster. You won't be able to turn him into something better and move your team forward.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    Looking for everyone's opinion on their fantasy strategy for aging players in a multicat salary keeper league. Players such as Suter/Byfuglien, while still producing, are obviously on the decline soon due to age.

Do you ride then to the end, then cut them loose to waivers? Or trade them and get what you can? In a cap league it is hard, because most owners don't want the salary cap hit. My guess is a the best trade would be possible to a contender in season trying to win. Other than that, my opinion is to ride them to the end due to the minimal return.
    That's my feeling. Either you trade them when their value is high, or hold onto them because they will be more useful to your championship aspirations than anything you get in return. If you are not in it then I guess in some circumstances you have to take what you can get, but otherwise I would be hesitant to give them away for nothing.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Apprentice

ride them until you dont contend anymore. However, if keep shopping them all year and look to sell high when they are on a hot streak.

also target or try for a 2v1 package type of deal for a contender if you are not in the race anymore during season.
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G: