Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O'Reilly or Pettersson

Big Daddy

Default O'Reilly or Pettersson

For Team #2 in my signature.

Initially I decided on Pettersson without question. But since we are about to enter to slow fantasy offseason I thought I would make a post asking for opinions. It's simple, O'Reilly vs. Pettersson, I can only keep one. I figured it was an obvious choice picking Pettersson but with faceoff wins as a category I wanted to get a few extra opinions. Trading is not an option. I am taking over this team in a league that is in the transition of switching platforms so there won't be any offseason trading permitted.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: O'Reilly or Pettersson

hows the rest of your team looking like?

with FOW, this makes O'reilly probably a top 5 fantasy asset. i mean in some categories because he provides FOW, he has an overall way above Kucherov and McDavid, for instance.

If you want the hot players and popular, keep Pettersson. I would do it only if you cover FOW with the rest of the team.
    If you want the safe choice and possibly contend this year, O'Reilly. He is also not old (28 yrs old) so its not like you are taking a old guy.
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    hows the rest of your team looking like?
    The only other option would be E. Kane which would give me Hits but without PIM’s as a category he isn’t worth keeping considering we only keep 3. Duchene is a dark horse but I cannot see anyone making a case for keeping him over O’Reilly or Pettersson.

Won’t know how the rest of my roster shapes up until after the September draft.

Dobber Sports Stud

ROR. He is beyond the better keep with those categories
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Titan

How many C's do you start? If it's 3-4 then I'm tempted to keep both and dump Hedman.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    How many C's do you start? If it's 3-4 then I'm tempted to keep both and dump Hedman.
    As I mentioned already, the league is in a transition phase. They are switching platforms and lost some managers along the way and I decided to take over this team. Along with the platform switch, there are likely changes coming to roster size and number of keepers. As of now we start 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D and 2 G with a skater UTIL spot. We will keep 3 players heading into next season's draft and then we will expand keepers to 5 or 6. Roster sizes may increase to 3 at each forward position and 1 additional D. I considered keeping all 3 over Hedman but we only start 2 C for this coming season and I'm a Hedman fanboy. I find you need at least one elite D-man to win in fantasy as well.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, with only two C slots (even though there is a Util slot) that makes it tougher to swallow. I think I would keep Pettersson, but it's a close call. What makes my decision is that I think if you wanted to you could trade Pettersson for O'Reilly+ in November next year if you wanted to. So that means he's the choice to keep now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Big Daddy

This decision is going to be harder than I expected. Dobber’s Top 300 Keeper Rankings has Pettersson at 31 and O’Reilly at 44 and that is for Points Only. Add in FW as a factor and I’d think O’Reilly would jump Pettersson considerably.

Keep the opinions coming. Will rep everyone I can.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would keep ROR. As much as I think Pettersson is going to be a stud, ROR fills out more cats and personally, I think the line he plays on next year is going to be even better than it was this year. I smell a monster year from ROR next year and I think the Central Division is going to be relatively weaker (means easier competition more often) than it was this year.

I also agree with keeping Hedman......he's just a stud all around.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

ROR for me. In a weak central he'll put up similar if not more points than Petersson and his FOW throws him way over the top. At 28 you'll still get enough good years out of him to not regret it either. It's close but that's my choice.
    32 Team Keeper League
    Dynasty, unlimited prospects.
    $62 million salary cap (negotiate our own salaries)
    Current roster:
    Centers: Hintz, Eichel, Zegras, M. Barron, Schiefele.
    Wingers: T. Thompson, Teravainen, Slafovsky, Duchene/J. Benn
    Defencemen: Q Hughes, , Hamilton, Fowler, Borowiecki, Liljegren
    Goalies: F. Andersen, Conor Ingram, M. Murray
    Farm: Egor Sokolov, Jett Woo,
    Skater points: Goals, Assists, +/-, PiMs, GWG, Points
    Goalie points: Ws, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would keep Pettersson for his potential and trade value.

I also think ROR will be easier to redraft than Pettersson. Should have a couple of players with heavy FOW (Horvat, Trocheck, ...) available to draft anyway. Guys like Pettersson are not available to draft very often.

Dobber Sports Veteran

What's all this chatter about the Central being a weak division...? If anything, it's the toughest in the league.

I think what EB said makes sense that keeping Pettersson should allow you to fetch O'Reilly + in a deal, if that's something you wanted to explore after your keeper deadline. Waiting till your setting are etched in stone to potentially make that move would be the right idea, however... the only thing I'd be nervous about is the hype around O'Reilly who's got some new hardware with a Cup & Conn Smythe trophy... Him name value is at it's highest, and may fetch you more with the casual owners in your league.

Big Daddy

Any other opinions on this? I keep flip flopping every time I think about it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think I would still keep the 3 centers.

Love Hedman, but I have always found it easier to get value later at defense than at forward in banger leagues. Dmen tend to be more volatile as well... even Hedman has bounced between 47 and 72 points the past 4 years.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I was going to say to keep The Alien Pettersson but considering that you are starting only 2 Cs, ROR should be the right choice here. He gives you huge adventage in the FOW category. If it was a bigger roster with 5 C starting then Pettersson would be the better option. Thats because you would have Pettersson offensive potential on your team an still have the room to find FOs elsewhere to balance your roster. But with only 2 center spots ROR just gives you the advantage right from the start of every week.
    Devils & Predators fan