Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Expansion Team

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default New Expansion Team

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some advice as I finish building my team. Been in dozens of yearly pools but it’s the first fantasy keeper league I’ve been in. Joined as an expansion team, MCAT League, and have very minimum top 6 forward/top 4 defense NHL players to work with. Based on my opponents teams and players available, even if I built around current NHL talent I’d be a basement dweller for the next 5 years(at least!). With that assessment, I’ve decided if I’m going to “rebuild” and be bad the next 3+ years, I may as well go with a team of young talent/prospects to gain potential top 6/4 versus guaranteed bottom 6/2. Here is my team so far:

C - Donato, Athanasiou, Necas, Suzuki
    LW - Bratt, Gusev, McCann, Robertson
    RW - Batherson, Kase, Kyrou, Terry
    D- Fabbro, Fox, Hronek, Smith, Valimaki, Kylington
    Bench - Hayton, Wahlstrom, Sandin
    G - Korpisalo, Rinne(traded for 8th overall), Samsonov, Shesterkin
    Draft picks 2019 - 3rd, 8th(trade), 14th, 25th.

I still have a couple high prospects available and need help deciding if they’re potential is better than players already picked.

Available Prospects - F: Farabee, Heponiemi, Denisenko, Veleno, Dube
    D: Cholowski, Liljegren, Miller, Foote, Kaski

I’m potentially considering replacing current NHLers Athanasiou, Donato, McCann, and Kase. I’m in this for the long haul and committed to drafting the best future team possible. It’s taken a lot of research to get this far and now have to weigh my options.

All advice and opinions are welcomed!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: New Expansion Team

Deni, Veleno, and Miller are my favourite three of the bunch, but I don't understand what we're comparing them against.

As for your rebuild, my problem with it is that you have all second tier prospects, there's no top tier future guys that will actually get your rebuild off the ground.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Comparing the available prospects against the team I’ve already formed.

Appreciate the input, I totally agree with that. These are the best available players I have to choose from as any current top tier or future one has already been picked up.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

For me, Denisenko and Farabee have way more value then Bratt and Kylington in your situation.

Other then that that's a pretty good group of prospect. But of course they are prospects so you're far away from competing. The key here to speeds things up is to try doing trades where you gain value. Like Donato might have some value right not to try and get a better guy. Also, try to trade for NHL ready prospects or young NHL players, otherwise you won't ever compete. Packaging 2-3 top prospects from what you have for a top guy under 27 would also help you.

And if you don't have farm, don't drop NHL players like Donato or Athanasiou. You want to trade them to top teams when they are hot to build your team. With no farm, players not in the NHL have almost no trade value.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you're going to drop Kase, Donato, & Athanasiou, and Mccann for 2nd-3rd tier prospects you may as well simply commit to being bad every year, and just trade everyone for picks within a year or two of them hitting the NHL.

The guys who are in the NHL are more likely to be useful than the prospects you'd be dropping them for, because they are young guys who were 2nd-3rd tier prospects and didn't bust. None of them are remotely old, all have shown some flashes.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Really appreciate the perspective guys. As I’ve said first time doing a keeper league so I got lots to think about. Good thing is they’ve given me until end of June to tinker with my team while the rest of the league’s rosters are frozen.

Big Daddy

Was there not an expansion draft for you entering this league? With all due respect to your current roster, you either made a couple questionable selections, they didn’t make enough players available to you or they simply just didn’t have an expansion draft, which is a terrible way to run a league.

A new team entering an existing league should be given a better opportunity to build a roster than what it seems like was given to you.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

indeed.

this team does not have one bit of a Tier A nhl player. I understand you are taking over/expansion, but you currently have no player that you can build around. Plus you don't even have a high first round pick..

you are going to have to do some magic and 2-3 great trades.

i'd first start to see if i can package 2 Tier 2 prospects for maybe a Tier 1 prospect one one solid player where you can build around. Obviously i dont think anyone would be giving you an Eichel or Seguin, but perhaps a Kotkaniemi, Svechnikov, etc would be a start.

Basically i recommend finding a way to get your hands on a Tier 1 NHL player under 23-24 yrs old (so he can produce now until your prospects are nhl ready) and build around him.
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

The Great One

Just our of curiousity, how many teams are in this league? It appears it's a 24 man roster, of those 24 slots - how many players did existing teams get to protect?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There are 11 teams with 28 man roster (3 farm 5 bench). For expansion, each team had to cut roster to 24. Which ended up having everyone drop from their farm or bottom 6 guys from their bench for me to choose from. I had asked why I didn’t at least get the first overall pick and they said it wasn’t fair to the teams that earned the top 2 picks so they gave me third overall and bumped everyone else down one.

With the comments from yesterday, I went back through the roster and found some young NHL players that I can slot in and replace my prospects for more of a sure thing.

Well that seems terrible. The fact that they just needed to drop their 4 worst players makes it totally unfair for you. You will be rebuilding for the next 6+ years, maybe longer. I don't think you will have any issue with the 1st OA for the foreseeable future. I feel bad for you, I would have rage quit already, haha.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Haha yeah it was pretty overwhelming at first. I’ve rebuilt my team almost three times since June 1st. After my first two attempts I came to the revelation that regardless what I do, I’ll be a bottom team for a long time. So I changed direction and decided to pick young/prospects players and plan for the future, rather than do everything possible to strive for second-last. That’s why I went so prospect heavy and made the team above since I know I won’t be competitive for 5+ years. Since I’m far from experienced in keeper leagues and prospects, I reached out to the community for advice which I’ve appreciated so far.

Big Daddy

That is a terrible way to expand and bring a new team into the league. I’d revolt! Haha

Could you maybe supply us with a decent sized list of what players are available? More curious than anything but maybe we could give you some input to help improve your team.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sure! Some things to keep in mind...I could absolutely draft a team with the list I’ll provide, but the bottom two teams in the league would be far superior to it. I “could” be competitive head to head with them, but would be battling for bottom of the league. My mindset has always been future (3-5 years). Some of these players are decent but I wouldn’t consider adding because in 5 years they’ll either be over the hill or retired. I sorted the forwards into two lists based on age since the older players will be in the “over the hill” threshold, and the younger players will be in their prime. The reality for the other teams as well is that they will need to consider rebuilding/getting younger as the years go by which I hope to take advantage of. 5 years from now the NHL will look a lot different based on retirees and upcoming talent. With that being said, here it is:

Older Players Aged 26+ (Ranked in order of highest FP/G to lowest 2018-2019)

Parize
    Zuccarello
    Thorton
    Nyquist
    Williams
    Kreider
    Ferland
    Brown
    Hyman
    Eakin
    Getzlaf
    Koivu
    Connolly
    Soderberg
    Silfverberg
    Killorn
    J Staal
    Pacioretty
    Cizikas
    Hornqvist

Younger Players Aged <26 (Ranked same as above)

Bertuzzi
    Vrana
    Ritchie
    Saad
    Schmaltz
    Galchenyuk
    Buchnevich
    Jenner
    Hinostroza
    Heinen
    Sissons
    Aston-Reese
    Tierney
    Schwartz
    Bjorkstrand
    Kahun
    Blueger
    Copp
    Duclair
    White

Defencemen (Ranked in FP/G)

Side Note - Last night I dropped Sandin and Kylington and picked up Miller and Pesce.

Petry
    Green
    Spurgeon
    Kempny
    Myers
    Dumoulin
    DeKeyser
    Hainsey
    Kulak
    Hamonic
    Severson
    Pettersson

Goalies (Ranked based on playing 30+ games and FP/G)

Side Note - Goalie situation is sketchy as the landscape is TBD based on UFA signings in the near future.

Greiss
    Mrazek
    McElhinney
    Khudobin
    Campbell
    Georgiev
    Koskinen
    Varlamov

Comparing this list to the team I wrote up above, what changes would you consider? I’ve already started mentally moving some of the younger players in to replace my prospects for more of a sure thing as I wrote in a previous post so I’m open to making changes.