Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Trade] Gudas Traded For Niskanen

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: [Trade] Gudas Traded For Niskanen

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I don't get this trade at all from a PHI perspective... well, I have two theories I'll get to in a bit.

I actually like Radko. But I liked Hakstol & Hextall as well.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Radko told the PHI brass off.
    I just came around to liking Radko, Hextall was great for the flyers but you are delusional if you think Hakstol was even close to an NHL caliber coach.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by flyersffan View Post
    ...but you are delusional if you think Hakstol was even close to an NHL caliber coach.
    Jeez - strong words.
    Hakstol was 134-101-42 in his 3+ years with PHI... with shit for goaltending and young (emerging, but inexperienced) defensemen.
    That's 310pts in 277gp... 1.11pts/gp... which is about the NHL average for points per game per NHL team.
    Hextall both hired him and refused to fire him, so you are criticizing Hextall (too) with your comment.

By the way... why are you JUST coming around to liking Radko?... I'd like to hear more about that.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This is a great deal for Washington.

1. They get a younger, cheaper player, who is probably better at this point.
    2. They dump the contract on a team in division, while getting the team taking on the more expensive contract to retain salary.

It works because this is a GM who overvalues veteran leadership & experience who is employed by an organization in their division that really, really overvalues those things, especially in defensemen.

The last cap crisis for the Flyers was caused by Fletcher's boss, Holmgren, by doing the overpaying for veterans who weren't great. Now that Hextall cleaned up the cap mess, and got fired, they've got a new guy in as the GM who can help them with the organizational fetishes of overpaid defenders and goalies. With MacDonald expiring after this year, they needed another guy to take over.

I'm just glad it wasn't Gostisbehere, Sanhiem, or Provorov going out in this deal. I expected there to be a bad deal for a veteran defenseman, and I think they've got one more in them before the season.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

So what is the over/under for Gudas + Wilson games suspended this year?

Caps better have a damn good PK.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

And the Flyers then buy MacDonald out to give them even more cap hit moving next year.

It's weird to make a deal retaining salary, getting a more expensive guy, and then buyout your most overpaid guy, now that you've got somebody else in house on the downside of their career at the same spot.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.