Thread: Where to go from here?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Where to go from here?

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on what you would do if you were in control of my team. Last season was our inaugural season, only starting in January. My aim was to go full rebuild from the start, seeing as it was a short season I knew everyone would be going for the win and I took full advantage of that.

I've made some absolute steal trades over the course of the past few months and really got my team into a good position, however, I'm not sure if I am at the stage where I can just let things play out and hope to be the first 'dynasty' team or if I need to improve elsewhere.

I'm working on possibly getting a third goalie and also improving my right wing? Just looking for advice, whether you think the team is ready to make a run for it in the next few years etc... I do have the likes of Kakko, Svechnikov & Batherson on the right wing so perhaps I'm looking into that too much - all depends how they do obviously.

Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated team and league in my sig
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Where to go from here?

You seem to have obtained players before they were drafted, which seems odd. Will you be drafting a year ahead this year as well, or was that a one-time thing?

It's probably ready to make a run soon, but I think you need to dial back the Hughes/Kakko over Svechnikov/Hischier depth chart. Guys who haven't been drafted yet are rarely going to end up ahead of guys in the NHL who were recently drafted really highly themselves in their first season. I think you honestly need some more production to contend rather than potential, but you have enough potential that it could be there soon.

Also, you really need help on D - lots of scoring guys, and not much hitting and blocking there. Vatanen is probably worse than guys on your wire, honestly. Get yourself a guy who is more well-rounded, a young guy who does everything in return for some of your surplus prospects.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    You seem to have obtained players before they were drafted, which seems odd. Will you be drafting a year ahead this year as well, or was that a one-time thing?

It's probably ready to make a run soon, but I think you need to dial back the Hughes/Kakko over Svechnikov/Hischier depth chart. Guys who haven't been drafted yet are rarely going to end up ahead of guys in the NHL who were recently drafted really highly themselves in their first season. I think you honestly need some more production to contend rather than potential, but you have enough potential that it could be there soon.

Also, you really need help on D - lots of scoring guys, and not much hitting and blocking there. Vatanen is probably worse than guys on your wire, honestly. Get yourself a guy who is more well-rounded, a young guy who does everything in return for some of your surplus prospects.

Hey mate! thanks for your reply. Our league decided to do the prospect draft for this year before our real draft (so that's why I've got Hughes,Kakko,Boldy & Knight), it was pretty unanimous with everyone wanting to actually look into prospects opposed to just following what NHL teams do (yes it does mean that we don't know where they will play, but it was all laid out and it's what we decided on).

The lineups listed on my sig aren't in any order, just by position. So I definitely don't consider the likes of Kakko better than Svech already - but I understand your point. Do you have any suggestions on a young hitter? I brought in some potential future hitters like Jett Woo recently but obviously not ready yet. I'm trying to make moves for Trouba also as we speak.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Erik Cernak is a good target for you in my opinion. He looks to have secured a spot on Tampa's second pairing, chips in decent offense, and averages about 3.5 hits a game. On top of that, if he plays at last year's pace he will easily join the small group of players who hit triple-digit shots, hits, and blocks in a season.