Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Full Ranking of Player Value in a Cap League - Thoughts

Administrator

Default Re: Full Ranking of Player Value in a Cap League - Thoughts

I prefer keeper value myself, as it would be a nice add-on next to the existing top 300 keeper players

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I prefer keeper value myself, as it would be a nice add-on next to the existing top 300 keeper players
    Oh there will be the keeper ratings. I'm just wondering if a single seasons rating list would also be of interest.
    Maybe that was your point though, that you want it ordered by the keeper list. That's my thinking too, but I'm open to seeing what the consensus is.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Oh there will be the keeper ratings. I'm just wondering if a single seasons rating list would also be of interest.
    Maybe that was your point though, that you want it ordered by the keeper list. That's my thinking too, but I'm open to seeing what the consensus is.
    I'd be curious to know who many 1yr pools use a salary cap. I think I'm out of the loop on that end of things.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'd be curious to know who many 1yr pools use a salary cap. I think I'm out of the loop on that end of things.
    I don't think there are many, but some use different re-draft setups that almost make limited keepers closer to one-year leagues in terms of player value. That's what I was thinking it would likely end up covering.
    That or catering to the teams that are just looking to contend for one more year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Love this idea and thread!! My vote is for a keeper list, and would have one year league sortable ranking.

I joined a full keeper cap league this year and have gone through a vary similar thought process. Once you look 2-3 years further and take age and salary increase in consideration it is not as simple.

I am on a mini rebuild - I want to compete in year 3, so I just did the following trade taking some of these factors in consideration:

I traded away: Wheeler (34, 10M this year, 6M next), Heiskanen (2years left entre level, due for a big raise in the 3rd year if he breaks out the way folks expect him too) - his value goes down once signed, and Johnson (5M this year, then 3 years at3M..2.5M) for Marchand (2 years younger than Wheeler and should have 4 more good years - 80pts+), Theodore (5.2M for 6 years - who I predict 45-55 pts), Nick Schmaltz (2 years at 3M, then up to 6M..then to 4.5M etc but I see as a 60-70 pts guy - and a tradable asset as part of rebuild he breaks out), and a mid/late 1st round pick next year (great class of rookies).

Was it it hard to let go of Heiskanen (and too some extent Johnson) - very. But the difference between them and Theodore and Schmaltz wasn’t enough not to land Marchand’s contract and adding a first.

Interested in thoughts on above trade and how i “perceived” value.

Interesting to see Letang’s value in the top 15 in Eric’s list above... I couldn’t trade him this summer, so I decided to keep him and hope he does well this year to move him.

Thanks again for doing this!
    12 Managers - Cap League (total salary adjusted yearly) - points only.
    12 F, 6D, 2G, 2 Spares
    5 Round yearly draft, ONE free agent pick up per year.

Team:
    G - Shesterkin, Gustavsson
    D - Montour, Addison, Barrie, Gustafson, Aho, Fowler.
    F - Draisalt, Kaprisov, Stamkos, Nylander, Marchand, Terry, Verhague, Necas, Mittlestad, Dach, Rossi, Bordeleau Spares: Zibanejad, Chytil.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre6666 View Post
    Love this idea and thread!! My vote is for a keeper list, and would have one year league sortable ranking.

I joined a full keeper cap league this year and have gone through a vary similar thought process. Once you look 2-3 years further and take age and salary increase in consideration it is not as simple.

I am on a mini rebuild - I want to compete in year 3, so I just did the following trade taking some of these factors in consideration:

I traded away: Wheeler (34, 10M this year, 6M next), Heiskanen (2years left entre level, due for a big raise in the 3rd year if he breaks out the way folks expect him too) - his value goes down once signed, and Johnson (5M this year, then 3 years at3M..2.5M) for Marchand (2 years younger than Wheeler and should have 4 more good years - 80pts+), Theodore (5.2M for 6 years - who I predict 45-55 pts), Nick Schmaltz (2 years at 3M, then up to 6M..then to 4.5M etc but I see as a 60-70 pts guy - and a tradable asset as part of rebuild he breaks out), and a mid/late 1st round pick next year (great class of rookies).

Was it it hard to let go of Heiskanen (and too some extent Johnson) - very. But the difference between them and Theodore and Schmaltz wasn’t enough not to land Marchand’s contract and adding a first.

Interested in thoughts on above trade and how i “perceived” value.

Interesting to see Letang’s value in the top 15 in Eric’s list above... I couldn’t trade him this summer, so I decided to keep him and hope he does well this year to move him.

Thanks again for doing this!
    Thanks for the reply!
    Looks like a solid deal for you. The three players you swapped all look to have similar value, and maybe even a slight edge to the guys you are acquiring, plus you got a first out of it.

As for Letang, a lot of people get hung up on his salary and injuries, but when he plays he's a top 5 fantasy Dman. With the drop off being steeper with D than Fs, the top ones rise a little in value as well.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre6666 View Post
    It's a problem with how people perceive player value. He's obviously injury-prone but he's also 32. In my experience most people put way too much stock into age and decline. Obviously decline happens but sometimes they make it seem like any player should start planning his funeral once he hits 30. You're right in keeping him, because he'll be worth more to your team than in a trade. I don't think it's likely you'll get better offers next spring/summer. He'll be 33 then.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the reply gents!

You guys rock!
    12 Managers - Cap League (total salary adjusted yearly) - points only.
    12 F, 6D, 2G, 2 Spares
    5 Round yearly draft, ONE free agent pick up per year.

Team:
    G - Shesterkin, Gustavsson
    D - Montour, Addison, Barrie, Gustafson, Aho, Fowler.
    F - Draisalt, Kaprisov, Stamkos, Nylander, Marchand, Terry, Verhague, Necas, Mittlestad, Dach, Rossi, Bordeleau Spares: Zibanejad, Chytil.

Dobber Sports Titan

Alright guys, Cap League Rankings are almost here! Just running the last hurdles by Dobber and hopefully I can get them set up to be posted around this time next week.

Any questions, opinions, or thought points in the meantime?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Minor thing to make it easier - something done in my keeper salary cap league:

We just use AAV for cap hits. Instead of the actual value of the deal year to year. It's too complicated to plan ahead when a player's cap value changes every year, going up or down, or adding in potential bonuses.
    SBF Keeper League // 10 Teams // NHL Salary Cap //
    4C, 8W, 6D, 1G, 4B
    G=3pts, A=2pts, Shots=.2, PIMS=.2, Blocks=.2pts, Hits=.2pts, PPP=.5pts, SHP=1pt, GWG=.5pts,
    W=3pts, SO=4pts, GA=-.5, Saves=.1pt

St. Petterssons

C: Pettersson, Zacha, Novak, Kurashev, Lapierre
    W: Kucherov, Draisaitl, Hyman, W Nylander, Bratt, P Kane, Roslovic, Milano, A Nylander, M Jones
    D: Theodore, Seider, Gostisbehere, Harley, York, Perunovich, Sandin
    G: Skinner

*Bold means I can't drop them (but I can trade them).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jessenguyen41 View Post
    Minor thing to make it easier - something done in my keeper salary cap league:

We just use AAV for cap hits. Instead of the actual value of the deal year to year. It's too complicated to plan ahead when a player's cap value changes every year, going up or down, or adding in potential bonuses.
    Yup, the rankings will be done based on AAV. It would be insanely more difficult to input all of the contract variations year to year.

Administrator

At this point I refuse to play in any cap league that doesn't use AAV.

Dobber Sports Titan

Actually, scratch the above, I currently have cap-hit in the system, not AAV. Really the only difference is the bonuses.

If it's something people would want in general, I could use AAV instead.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Actually, scratch the above, I currently have cap-hit in the system, not AAV. Really the only difference is the bonuses.

If it's something people would want in general, I could use AAV instead.
    When some people say "AAV," they probably actually mean cap hit, which doesn't include performance bonuses, while AAV does. It would be weird for a cap league to count performances bonuses upfront that might or might not materialize.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rj45lan View Post
    When some people say "AAV," they probably actually mean cap hit, which doesn't include performance bonuses, while AAV does. It would be weird for a cap league to count performances bonuses upfront that might or might not materialize.
    My main one does, so it's not that uncommon