Thread: Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes deal.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes deal.

Jesse Puljujarvi and a 3rd for Brett Pesce.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes deal.

Welcome to the forums.

I think the Oilers would love to make this trade as Pesce is one of those underrated Dmen who do a lot of things right. The Oilers would need to move out Dmen to make room for him though as they are already stuffed full of D on one-way contracts so that makes it a little less viable. Plus, the Oilers need wingers more than D but that shouldn't stop them from making this type of deal.

I also don't know if Carolina would be willing to move someone like Pesce for a guy who, clearly still have tons of upside, but has yet to really prove much in the league to this point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I cannot see the benefit of this trade for Carolina, but welcome to the forums.

The Great One

Yuck

Administrator

Welcome!

As for the trade... makes no sense from Carolina's POV. Seems like this was drawn up from an Oilers perspective.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree w/others.
    Carolina has a good base for their team-building.
    They have all 6D signed for next year, but only 4D signed after than (Faulk & TVR are UFA 2020).
    I don't think it would be at all wise for one the league's best shot-against defense (#3 in NHL) to get worse.

And with Martin Necas likely joining their top 8F next year (incl. Aho, TT, Nino, Svech, Staal, Wallmark, Foegele, Martinook), they just don't need another forward.
    Justin Williams is in limbo, but I'd expect him to re-sign a short contract for about $4m per.

I think a better trade partner for Pulju might be Vegas - who has a cap crunch and needs bargain contracts.
    Vegas (I believe) are looking to move Colin Miller, having 6D signed for next year, and probably willing to re-sign Engelland for about $2m-$3m for 1yr-2yr... as well as clear way for Nic Hague.

Dobber Sports Recruit

This is coming from an Oilers/Carolina fan(maybe not the best to make the trade). My thought process was if Puljujarvi is still able to reach his potential, maybe team him back up with his teammates that he played with for Finland during the World Juniors in 2016. That either being Aho or Laine. It's just a thought. Carolina's top 3 young guns, in my eyes; Aho, Svechnikov and Teravainen are all lefties, where Puljujarvi is a righty. It was just an idea to increase Carolina's scoring which is a weak point I do believe.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoKappa View Post
    This is coming from an Oilers/Carolina fan(maybe not the best to make the trade). My thought process was if Puljujarvi is still able to reach his potential, maybe team him back up with his teammates that he played with for Finland during the World Juniors in 2016. That either being Aho or Laine. It's just a thought. Carolina's top 3 young guns, in my eyes; Aho, Svechnikov and Teravainen are all lefties, where Puljujarvi is a righty. It was just an idea to increase Carolina's scoring which is a weak point I do believe.
    I think the theory behind it isn't bad, but there are two things working against you: 1) The Yakupov glasses: Everyone is watching Pulj drown in Edmonton and just waiting for him to be labelled a bust. 2) The value of F vs D in trades: If a defence and a winger are generally even players, the winger is going to have to have a solid piece added to him to push it through (that would mean a 1st, not a third).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

call me crazy...but I suspect the 'Canes value Pesce only slightly less than they value Slavin (which is a heck of a lot). I suspect they'd be willing to trade Hamilton before considering dealing Pesce.

That said, I don't think that any of their dmen are going to be traded. Carolina went on a nice run and I suspect they'd like to retain the core of their defense. I think they are trying to re-sign Faulk, but if they lose him it is even more unlikely that they deal Pesce (or Hamilton).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Administrator

Pesce and Pulj just don't stack up as comparables. The Canes would be weakening their D in exchange for a hopeful.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Id buy it if it were Faulk for JP +.

Administrator

I'm not sure I see the fit for either side though the Oilers would likely not scoff at turning a disgruntled prospect into a bonfide player.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg