Thread: Rebuilding Trade Advice

Dobber Sports Novice

Red face Rebuilding Trade Advice

Current offer I have is:

My
    Jack Eichel

For
    2019 1st overall
    2020 6-12th overall (most likely lottery pick too)

I'm rebuilding and have some very solid pieces already and 4 picks in the top 21 this year. (already made roster room for the 4 picks w/ trades)

Do I take a chance on Hughes or Kakko and add a top pick next year?

Thanks in advance!

Also side note: I already have 3 first round picks for next year.
    20 Team Dynasty H2H Multi-Cat league 32 + 12 minor spots - (4 C. 4 RW. 4 LW, 6 D. 1 G) - After 3 year rebuild, competing

C: McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Dowd, Frost,

LW: Kaprizov, Stutzle, Boldy, Marchenko, Paul, Deslauriers

RW: Marner, Rantanen, Tolvanen, Bemstrom, O'Connor, Gurianov

D: Heiskanen, Boqvist, Provorov, Fabbro, Dillon, Jokiharju, Liljegren, Marino, Mayfield, Moser, Smith

G: Oettinger, Forsberg, Merzlikins, Mrazek

Minors: Beecher, Heponiemi, Kulich, L'Heureux, Bellows, Kaut, Lind, Bichsel, Cuelemans, Mateychuk, Samberg, Ingram

2023 Draft Picks: 41st and 59th overall
    2024 Draft Picks: 1 - 1st round (1-20) and 1 - 3rd round (40-60)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Rebuilding Trade Advice

You'll probably get better advise from those who know more, but my opinion, I don't think it would hurt you making that deal. You'd lose Eichle but you'd be getting a very good C in Hughes (assuming you pick him.) Having the 1st and 3rd OA picks this year would be very helpful in my opinion. Good luck with whatever happens.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I do not makes this trade unless your getting more usable assets Its not like Eichel is aging he is only 22 years old and is already at 80 plus point he gets you 70 hits over 300 SOG could hughes be this good ?? maybe or maybe not why take a chance. I know your in a rebuild but why not build around Eichel instead of the new shiny toys

I wouldn't be trading Eichel away if you're rebuilding; he's the kind of player you want to build around, not to build from. I'm rebuilding myself and it's easy to think that all draft picks are priceless because of their potential, but ultimately guys Eichel are who you want, not a pick a year from now that could potentially be 12th overall next year. It's quality not quantity.

You're going to have seven first rounders to add to your roster over the next two seasons, I don't think you're desperate for more. Take your picks (consider packaging 17 and 21 together to move into the top ten if possible) and build around good players like Eichel.
    32 Team Keeper League
    Dynasty, unlimited prospects.
    $62 million salary cap (negotiate our own salaries)
    Current roster:
    Centers: Hintz, Eichel, Zegras, M. Barron, Schiefele.
    Wingers: T. Thompson, Teravainen, Slafovsky, Duchene/J. Benn
    Defencemen: Q Hughes, , Hamilton, Fowler, Borowiecki, Liljegren
    Goalies: F. Andersen, Conor Ingram, M. Murray
    Farm: Egor Sokolov, Jett Woo,
    Skater points: Goals, Assists, +/-, PiMs, GWG, Points
    Goalie points: Ws, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Icon

Keep Eichel. He's more valuable than Hughes and a pick next year.

Dobber Sports Deity

All this trade does is set back any rebuild you are working towards by 2-3 years.

Keep Eichel.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Big Daddy

Eichel should be considered the centrepiece of your rebuild. It’s not like you are selling someone like a Bergeron entering his mid-thirties with the possibility of decline within the next couple seasons. Keep him and use the picks you already have.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    All this trade does is set back any rebuild you are working towards by 2-3 years.

Keep Eichel.
    This. This right here.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I’m also against the trade. Eichel is an excellent rebuilding piece himself. You know what your getting with Eichel already. I’m pretty sure Hughes will be great, but how long does it take him to become great and does he even do as well as Eichel?

As was stated before, you’re delaying the rebuild by making this trade.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I do the trade... if you want to rebuild forever.

If you're rebuilding you need young studs - IE: Eichel. This would enter you into the never ending cycle of rebuilding...
    What would stop you from then, trading Hughes or Kakko for the 2020 1st overall? & then in two years... for a 2022 1st overall?
    It has to stop somewhere.

I would want that second pick to be a prospect breaking in or already starting to make hay to consider moving Eichel. PL Dubois & the #1.
    But as soon as you mention those type players, the other GM will back off. Because there's a known value on them already.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I agree - this deal is not a "rebuilding" trade, it is a "perpetually rebuilding" trade. I wouldn't trade Matthews or Rantanen either. Just draft with the picks you have, and wait. All you can really do is wait, with how young this team is...

I agree with everyone else given it set you back 2-3 years. Also agree on the perpetual trades with "rebuilding" mentality.

Where I differ is that you have another top tier talent in Hughes. The value is not good enough with that trade to proceed. You would undersell. But if you can squeeze a top prospect like necas or q.hughes or kravtsov or thomas... that kind of top prospect close to nhl or in nhl, or a young nhl guy like theodore or ghost then I would do it.

I'm not against that kind of trade. But you need to trade for at least three high end prospect knocking for nhl. If the guy wants eichel he will pay. Otherwise keep eichel and trade him when somebody else will. The value will not fade out, it will grow.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thank you everyone!

I've decided to hold onto Eichel. I paid a pretty good premium for him last year, and he is only 22 years old and putting up solid numbers already. I guess most of my thinking behind the trade is that I'm really high on Alexis Lafreniere and was hoping for an extra shot at him too.

Gonna rep everyone for the advice. Thanks again!
    20 Team Dynasty H2H Multi-Cat league 32 + 12 minor spots - (4 C. 4 RW. 4 LW, 6 D. 1 G) - After 3 year rebuild, competing

C: McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Dowd, Frost,

LW: Kaprizov, Stutzle, Boldy, Marchenko, Paul, Deslauriers

RW: Marner, Rantanen, Tolvanen, Bemstrom, O'Connor, Gurianov

D: Heiskanen, Boqvist, Provorov, Fabbro, Dillon, Jokiharju, Liljegren, Marino, Mayfield, Moser, Smith

G: Oettinger, Forsberg, Merzlikins, Mrazek

Minors: Beecher, Heponiemi, Kulich, L'Heureux, Bellows, Kaut, Lind, Bichsel, Cuelemans, Mateychuk, Samberg, Ingram

2023 Draft Picks: 41st and 59th overall
    2024 Draft Picks: 1 - 1st round (1-20) and 1 - 3rd round (40-60)

you rebuild around your top young player, which is Eichel
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek