Thread: Worth losing assets to move from 9 to 6?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Worth losing assets to move from 9 to 6?

Hey everyone,

Looking for some opinions on a trade offer I received for a 28 team, keep 9 pts only league (in sig).

Have been offered the 6 for my 9 + Perunovich + my 2020 second. In year two of a rebuild. I have some good assets to play with but really wondering if getting a guy like Zegras or Caufield at the six spot is worth giving up a promising (but small) dman in Peruno and a top 56 pick next year. Of course Id also be likely giving up a Boldy or Krebs at 9.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    28 team, pts only, Keep 9 (or 10 if you miss playoffs)

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

F: [B] Kuznetsov, Konecny, Hall, Crosby, Kreider, Couturier, Lindholm, Bergeron, Schmaltz
    D: [B] Hedman, *Girard, Jones, Petry, Doughty
    G: [B] Vasilevskiy

Farm
    Heponiemi, Comtois, Kayumov, Krebs, Abramov, Khovanov, Shalagin, Dineen,

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Worth losing assets to move from 9 to 6?

I am not sure the difference between 6 and 9 is going to be that great to be honest, but as always, until you really know who goes between 1-5, it's hard to answer this.

For me, I wouldn't give up two pieces to move up three spots simply because I believe you will get a similar piece at 9 with similar upside.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

In this particular draft year, I wouldn’t, especially if you’re in a rebuild and need assets. The quality of players available between 6 and 9 is nearly indistinguishable so giving up assets to move up three spots gives you little or no benefit. I moved down from 5 to 8 for the same reason.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think you could get a guy like Cozens/Zegras/Caufield at 9 anyways. I wouldn't do it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Not really offering an opinion here, but the main reason I would trade up is if I'm stuck on the wrong side of a "cliff" (where the value between two picks is significant). For example, sometimes you have a great top-five and then pick #6 is meh. If I owned pick #6 in that case I'd be looking at trade options. Here it looks like you might be trading up for the sake of doing it and in the process losing assets with probably not enough gain to justify such a move. Prospects are such question marks at this point anyway.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In a 28-team league, counting 4D, that's 112 D in play.
    Perunovich could be a sneaky own, as he could be a future PP2 D-man, so possibly 2nd highest D man scoring on his team.
    That puts him in the future 50D-70D ranking... which is significant here.
    I'm not sure what the 112th D in the NHL scored last year... but maybe just 20pts... that makes a 35pt Perunovich (if that's what he may be) a +15 value over that D4-type player.

The counter-argument, is that perhaps the bigger centers (Dach & Cozens) might have more value in their real NHL two way game and might only pan out as 60-65pt players..
    If that's the case... you may actually separate a smaller guy who could put up points a little sooner, like Caufield or Zegras, who might have 75pt potential by their Year4 breakout. (assuming top 4 are JH,KK,BB,AT)

In pure points, I might consider Caufield or Zegras ahead of Dach/Cozens.
    Though, anybody that ends up on the Oilers could be ripe to soak all kinds of PP1 points if playing with McDavid and/or Draisaitl... so there's value there too.
    There's also value in that #6 pick just to get the guy the Oilers pick - I mean, could you imagine Caufield in EDM... yowzas, he could go #3 in fantasy drafts if that's where he falls.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks everyone for the opinions.

I agree with a lot of what is being said here. I've reread Pronman recently and I'm leaning toward Zegras as a guy who could have elite production at the NHL level. I have the 5th and 9th picks right now, just trying to decide if after I take one of the bigger bodied guys at 5 (I'm currently pretty set on one of Turcotte, Dach, or Cozens) I should give up the potential 2nd pp guy in Perunovich (thanks Penguin) and the 2nd for that six and take either Zegras or Caufield (NHL draft spot dependent). Is that upside separation enough? It sounds like the consensus is no - that I'll be justified in holding tight with a guy like Boldy or Krebs at 9. Like ED suggested, this may be a case of throwing assets away for an equal upside player. And, like Eskimo Brother suggests, I may even get one of the guys I'd move up for at 9!!!

But the chance to land that elite scorer ahead of a top-six-but-not-elite guy like a Boldy or Krebs keeps nagging at me as something to explore.

And...I've talked myself into a state of simple confusion now. Going to go outside and breath in some fresh air : (

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

F: [B] Kuznetsov, Konecny, Hall, Crosby, Kreider, Couturier, Lindholm, Bergeron, Schmaltz

Farm

The Great One

Put me with the "hold" crowd; not enough of a gap between 6 and 9 to justify moving two decent assets. Especially if you are rebuilding.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would also stand pat, this draft not much differencer between 6-9, and if you are rebuilding, keep the second rounder as well.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Jedi

5-10 in this draft is a crap shoot.
    It's very possible the player you want to target at 6 will be available at #9.
    Meaning you've given up assets for nothing.

there was a draft posted on here by someone last week, Dachs & Krebs went 15/16.

Perunovich is a really good prospect that is still flying slightly under the radar.
    Reminiscent of Brandon Montour 3-4 years ago.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    5-10 in this draft is a crap shoot.
    It's very possible the player you want to target at 6 will be available at #9.
    Meaning you've given up assets for nothing.

there was a draft posted on here by someone last week, Dachs & Krebs went 15/16.

Perunovich is a really good prospect that is still flying slightly under the radar.
    Reminiscent of Brandon Montour 3-4 years ago.
    I'd go as far to say that 5-12 is a crapshoot.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd go as far to say that 5-12 is a crapshoot.
    Totally... All it takes is someone jumping on a kid like Kaliyev, Soderstrom, in the top 10...
    Some mocks have March's 3rd overall - Podkolzin going outside the top 10.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Bottom line here is...in this year's draft it's a waste of assets to pay to move from 9 to 6.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. You've sold me. I'm staying put and planning to reap the rewards of someone jumping too early and leaving my guy available at 9. Then also watching Perunovich Montour his way into some pp time with Stl in relatively short order.

Cheers!

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

Farm