Thread: Nurse Potential

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Nurse Potential

Hey all,

I've got Darnell Nurse in my team, at the moment he's clearly my best defencemen for points - however, is he having a standout year and will back off next year? I've got the potential to get Andrei Svechnikov for him 1-1, really unsure on if this is a terrible deal on my end considering he's a top 10 Dman in my league at the moment.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

The Great One

Default Re: Nurse Potential

How many forwards and defense start? (In a vacuum, I take A Svech). (If you have too, drop Lindblom to make room and promote Makar to full Nurse's spot)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

3 LW,
    3 C,
    3 RW
    5 D
    5 Bench
    2 G

So I've got spots available for sure, just wondering if it would be a bad decision. I don't expect to win this year -we have 4 teams in each divisions and my division is pretty stacked but I've got an outside chance. Either way though I'm happy to play the long game as I've got the youngest av age by about a year lol
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Dobber Sports Icon

I would make that move in a heartbeat. Nurse will likely never get 40 points in another NHL season. He played almost 2 minutes per game on the PP last season and that's not going to happen again with the type of dmen that the Oilers will be adding next season and for a few more seasons after that. Nurse is not good offensively as he is a poor decision maker and passer. He does skate the puck better than most dmen but that does not help on a PP with McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Take this in a heartbeat. Svech is the real deal on a team who will be adding a lot of offence around him over the next little while. Nurse had a good season but I struggle to see that as his norm and you have the minors to fill his role anyway. Sell high when you can.
    32 Team Keeper League
    Dynasty, unlimited prospects.
    $62 million salary cap (negotiate our own salaries)
    Current roster:
    Centers: Hintz, Eichel, Zegras, M. Barron, Schiefele.
    Wingers: T. Thompson, Teravainen, Slafovsky, Duchene/J. Benn
    Defencemen: Q Hughes, , Hamilton, Fowler, Borowiecki, Liljegren
    Goalies: F. Andersen, Conor Ingram, M. Murray
    Farm: Egor Sokolov, Jett Woo,
    Skater points: Goals, Assists, +/-, PiMs, GWG, Points
    Goalie points: Ws, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sage

I like Nurse a lot in multicat. I am not predicting he will decline this year. The guy is going to play 25 minutes a game, the numbers will be there, filling all cats.

That being said, I would trade him for Svechnikov if offered because I am not a dummy.

Big Daddy

Absolutely make that trade. You have Dahlin and Heiskanen to carry your team on D and they are only going to continue to improve the next few seasons.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I took the trade! thanks peeps

Dobber Sports Jedi

Good deal. Now, you can go and try to acquire someone like Esa Lindell who will give you 80% of Nurse for 50% of the cost.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I'm late to this, but FWIW that was a good deal for you. Some thoughts...

- I'm surprised Nurse was your top-rated dman (and 10th overall in your entire league). As much as the points will diminish next season with a (hopefully) healthy Klefbom and perhaps Bouchard on the NHL roster (though supposedly he will play the season in the AHL next year), Nurse will continue to be a multi-cat stud.

- That said, I like this deal for you because, if you aren't competing next season for the championship, Svechnikov is a better fit for your young team. Kakko, Hughes, Pettersson, Svechnikov, Makar, Brannstrom, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Hart, Hischier, Tkachuk, etc. will all be hitting their prime at roughly the same time and that right there is how you build a dynasty. It isn't that Nurse is old, but by the time those other players are at their peak and you are a perennial contender, Svechnikov will be one of the best wingers in the NHL and Nurse's situation will be unknown (what will the Oilers look like in 2-3 years? what dmen will be on the roster? will Nurse still be a top 4 dman on their team? etc.).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Sophomore

none of you seems high on Nurse even with last year’s number/toiPP and the IIHF performance so my question is the following

- who would be a good target to trade him for?

I got him for free off our FA but seeing as I’m not in contention to win next season or the one after, his 3.2M cap hit for the next upcoming 2yrs seems like an ez sell I can make to a team that’s competing in our top 6. The last thing I wanna do is make a stupid offer to start off with and lose all hopes I have in flipping him.

Thx in adv.

Dobber Sports Star

You may want to target Trouba. Like Nurse, his stats last year are appreciably better than his career history. They're both good in the grinder categories. You can say Trouba is probably going to leave Winnipeg and might lose out on the great situation he was in and that his numbers were boosted by Byfuglien's injuries. And Trouba's a little bit older.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dkall View Post
    none of you seems high on Nurse even with last year’s number/toiPP and the IIHF performance so my question is the following

- who would be a good target to trade him for?

I got him for free off our FA but seeing as I’m not in contention to win next season or the one after, his 3.2M cap hit for the next upcoming 2yrs seems like an ez sell I can make to a team that’s competing in our top 6. The last thing I wanna do is make a stupid offer to start off with and lose all hopes I have in flipping him.

Thx in adv.
    These open-ended questions are near impossible to answer without knowing the stats used in your league, and (more importantly) without knowing the strengths/weaknesses of your potential trade partners. I mean, if another person is really in need of a solid multi-cat dman, then you could probably use Nurse's inflated numbers from last season to snag a forward who had a down year but is likely to rebound (say someone like Ehlers, just off the top of my head).

That said, if you are looking at comparable dmen who are more likely to repeat (or improve) on last season's numbers, a few players I'd consider are Morrissey, Slavin, and Pulock. Again, that's just throwing names out there without really knowing any details about your league, etc.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98