Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selling Taylor Hall

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Selling Taylor Hall

So last year was my first year doing fantasy hockey. I took over a team in a dynasty league that had been around for 7 years and did what I could to learn the ropes. Prior to the start of the season I traded for Taylor Hall in the hopes that a star like that could really make me competitive. His bad year aside, I've learned just how far off I am from being competitive in this league based on teams with long standing owners who have managed to really horde the talent so I'm trying to do a full rebuild. I think I'm at least 3 years away from having a chance come playoffs so really trying to target some youth and let go of any one older to get it. Hall being my best guy I'm trying to sell before our upcoming entry draft and I have one offer on the table right now.

TLDR;

Taylor Hall and 13th overall pick (out of 50) for Alex Barre-Boulet, Troy Terry, Jesperi Kotkaniemi and 8th overall pick. I feel like it's a pretty fair deal but would love some thoughts.

Roster in signature, other picks I own are 3rd, 20th, 22nd, 27th, 43rd.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    G,A,+/-,PIM,SOG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

4C: A.Barkov, N.Kadri, N.Schmaltz, S.Stamkos
    4LW: J.Gaudreau, J.Huberdeau, L.Raymond, C.Mittelstadt
    4RW: D.Pastrnak, S.Reinhart, B.Rust, A.Iafallo
    6D: T.Barrie, B.Chiarot, B.Dillon, S.Gostisbehere, E.Gustafsson, B.Skjei
    2G: J.Binnington, A.Hill, P.Mrazek
    Res: R.O'Reilly, T.Hall, P.Kane, P-O.Joseph, J.Drysdale, M.Bunting

F: M.Bourque, B.Brisson, W.Eklund, D.Goyette, R.Suzuki, R.Jarventie, A.Martino, T.Fix-Wolansky, S.Holmstrom, J.Kemell, C.Lucius, C.Bedard, W.Whitelaw, A.Cristall, S.Poulin
    D:T.Harley, D.Mateychuk, J.McIsaac, D.Samorukov, L.Cagnoni
    G: J.Daccord, P.Kochetkov, K.Keyser, A.Werner

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Selling Taylor Hall

I wouldnt do that deal and I accept terrible trade offers.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Sophomore

That roster doesn't look like you accept terrible trades.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by chris20973 View Post
    That roster doesn't look like you accept terrible trades.
    //deadpan// It's a two team league.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, you look like you are in a tough spot. Half way good, half-way bad. You need to collect more guys like the ones in BOLD. Kotkaniemi may end up as one of these players, but that is a maybe. I think that the offer in front of you adds four non-bolded assets for your Taylor Hall. You are right about needing to take a long view but when you are trading your elite players you need to be getting more than question marks back.

4C:T.Hertl, A.Kerfoot, N.Kadri, T.Thompson
    4LW:O.Palat, J.Bailey, A.Lee, B.Tkachuk
    4RW:J.Eberle, R.Dzingel, A.DeBrincat, J.Anderson
    6D:R.Ellis, S.Gostisbehere, J.Gardiner, O.Klefbom, R.Dahlin, T.DeAngelo
    2G:R.Luongo,A.Raanta
    Res:R.Fabbri, J.Korpisalo, T.Sanheim, T.Bertuzzi, T.Hall, E.Haula, D.Heinen

Prosp
    F:N.Martin, J.Quenneville, N.Suzuki, A.Guadette, I.Lunderstrom, D.Dube, A.Formenton, J. Kuokkanen, A.Nylander, E.Svechnikov, D.Gurianov, C.Grundstrom, D.Batherson, M.Joseph
    D:R.Fabbro, U.Vaakanainen, J.Valimaki, J.Zboril, M.Lajoie, O.Kylington, N.Dobson
    G:J.Campbell,E.Merzlikins

Dobber Sports Sophomore

To get a sense of the level of parity in this league though here is one of the better teams top 10 based on points. P.Kane, S.Crosby, B Wheeler, C.Giroux, M.Scheifele, T.Seguin, P.Bergeron, N.Backstrom, V.Tarasenko, E.Pettersson, plus he has Bobrovsky, Gibson, and Rask and he's got the 1st overall this year too. I get Hall is a big player but if I hold him and just draft high after tanking for years idk if I'm any closer to doing anything. My thought is to gamble that I get more out of multiple prospects, are all those guys so far off from what Hall will still be in 3 years?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Given it's a dynasty, I'd absolutely be holding onto Hall and selling him during next season when he's hot as hell. Right now he's probably as low as he's ever been trade value wise.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Given it's a dynasty, I'd absolutely be holding onto Hall and selling him during next season when he's hot as hell. Right now he's probably as low as he's ever been trade value wise.
    +1. Plus Hall is in a contract year. He should be motivated and there could be huge hype if he leaves the Devils..

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by chris20973 View Post
    To get a sense of the level of parity in this league though here is one of the better teams top 10 based on points. P.Kane, S.Crosby, B Wheeler, C.Giroux, M.Scheifele, T.Seguin, P.Bergeron, N.Backstrom, V.Tarasenko, E.Pettersson, plus he has Bobrovsky, Gibson, and Rask and he's got the 1st overall this year too. I get Hall is a big player but if I hold him and just draft high after tanking for years idk if I'm any closer to doing anything. My thought is to gamble that I get more out of multiple prospects, are all those guys so far off from what Hall will still be in 3 years?
    Yup... You are between a rock and a hard place. Agreed. Still, though, you need to get 2 "keepers" for Hall. Not 4 "maybes". Hall is also at a very low selling point.

Five cents worth of unsolicited advise: You say that this is a 10 team league? You are never going to win. The league is so slanted in one direction you may never even be competitive. You are going to spend a ton of time and energy trying to rebuild a team in a rigged league. There are always posts in the forums about dynasty leagues starting up. If you are this interested in being in a league like this (It's June and you are cruising Fantasy Hockey Forums so you are obviously into it!) I would consider finding a league that is starting up and drafting from scratch. It will be much more enjoyable than watching a shitty team, that you did not build, get helplessly pummelled week after week.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I don’t think it’s a terrible deal but I’d rather get back 1-2 valuable pieces than 5-6 maybes .. I’d be targeting a player like svechnikov ++
    12 Team - 17 Players
    6 Keepers league w/Yahoo

C: Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel,
    LW: Andrei Svechnikov
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Mitchell Marner
    D:
    G: Andrei Vasilevskiy

(G) 3 (A) 2 (+/-) 0.5 (PIM) 0.5 (PPP) 1 (SHG) 1 (GWG) 2
    (Shots) 0.1 (W) 3 (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 5

2013-2014 Champion
    2017-2018 Champion
    2018-2019 Champion

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Guy with the offer has him and I asked and he completely refused to budge on that. Been trying to snag him for months.

Dobber Sports Pro

My answer would be to not join that league in the first place. It may be a good league, but it looks like it's dominated by a few old established teams and the one you inherited was long ago picked clean by the vultures. That said, under your format, Hall is extremely valuable as he's one of the top multi-cat contributors you can get. I understand the urge to get something for Hall as he's not going to get you into the playoffs by himself (like he couldn't help the Oilers on his own), but he's still a cornerstone-type player for many years to come. I do like you moving up from 13 to 8 in this draft, but have you tried countering to get a decent goalie?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

To be honest I was planning to find a new league and phase out of this one, but not for another year. I joined the current one to learn about fantasy hockey because I've really only done football, though at a moderately high level. This was a low pressure no money place to get more into hockey. Just trying to make the best of it and keep learning for now.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I haven't made many plays towards goalies in general because of the "Goalies are Voodoo" idea. Yeah there's tiers to them but it feels so fluid and I'm so far away that landing a good one now feels like it could be a quick waste in as little as two years.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Some solid points. I could probably get way more at a trade deadline. Being patient sucks when the draft is around the corner though lol.