Thread: Parayko v. Sanheim

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Parayko v. Sanheim

Team and League in sig.

Simple one here. Who ya got? Why?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Parayko v. Sanheim

I think Sanheim has a greater eventual chance of being a PP1, and that's the overriding factor. Even if Parayko is better at the rough-and-tumble categories.

The Great One

I like Parayko here. One of the best options in multi-cat leagues, imo.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm taking Parayko all day. Sanheim has the same PP blockage with Ghost/Myers as Parayko does with Dunn and AP. Parayko gets a lot more in the peripheral categories, and has more that one season under his belt so we know he's more than just a flash with what he can give.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Parayko gets a lot more in the peripheral categories, and has more that one season under his belt so we know he's more than just a flash with what he can give.
    A lot more? Parayko clearly surpasses Sanheim in Hits and SOG, that's it. Parayko has never had more points in any of his four full seasons than Sanheim did in his first full season last year. Their blocks and PIM are roughly the same, despite Sanheim playing 3 fewer minutes per game. When Sanheim gets post-rookie playing time, he'll probably edge out Parayko there too. Parayko having more than one season under his belt, and now being 26 years old, is an indictment against him, not a feature as compared to Sanheim. It shows us that he's probably exactly what he's consistently been for the past four full seasons with no substantial improvement coming. The day is not coming when Parayko is going to be "unleashed" and hit 50 points, something that seems very possible, if not probable, eventually, for Sanheim. Glatt already has six superior defensemen, so the better play in the dynasty league is to keep and hold the guy with the skills and pedigree which suggest his becoming something greater. If he's going for the title now, then I'd be persuaded to consider Parayko and have some certainty on the bench. But in dynasty terms, I'd rather have Sanheim, the extra three years of age, and the higher likelihood of him being a 50-60 point producer at some stage.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    A lot more? Parayko clearly surpasses Sanheim in Hits and SOG, that's it. Parayko has never had more points in any of his four full seasons than Sanheim did in his first full season last year. Their blocks and PIM are roughly the same, despite Sanheim playing 3 fewer minutes per game. When Sanheim gets post-rookie playing time, he'll probably edge out Parayko there too. Parayko having more than one season under his belt, and now being 26 years old, is an indictment against him, not a feature as compared to Sanheim. It shows us that he's probably exactly what he's consistently been for the past four full seasons with no substantial improvement coming. The day is not coming when Parayko is going to be "unleashed" and hit 50 points, something that seems very possible, if not probable, eventually, for Sanheim. Glatt already has six superior defensemen, so the better play in the dynasty league is to keep and hold the guy with the skills and pedigree which suggest his becoming something greater. If he's going for the title now, then I'd be persuaded to consider Parayko and have some certainty on the bench. But in dynasty terms, I'd rather have Sanheim, the extra three years of age, and the higher likelihood of him being a 50-60 point producer at some stage.
    Agree to disagree, but I still like Parayko more. I think he does hit 50 points sometime in the next few years (larger players take longer to hit their peak). SOG and hits are also some of the most consistent numbers year to year. Each player may fluctuate in other stats, but having the sure thing with hits and shots definitely makes a difference year to year.
    I like Sanheim, but I think he has a lower likelihood of 50 points in the next three years than Parayko. Outside of the next 2-3 years, I don't look farther ahead in a dynasty league.

That's my take on it anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Sage

If you take into account the 80/20 rule and Parayko's size and 320-odd games played, he could be a perfect candidate for a breakout, actually.

It's Parayko's terrible PP deployment that scares me away.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Parayko has a less muddled path to deployment, partly because he's only got 2 competitors for PP1. Gostisbehere/Provorov/Myers/whatever D the Flyers acquire could all be issues. That said, Parayko hasn't really pushed anyone aside yet, and has had time. I half expect the Flyers to move some young D out for veterans, and probably more traditional stay at home types.

I prefer Sanheim's youth, and upside, because while Parayko could get to 50, his clock is ticking, and the Blues are working well right now with the status quo. Sanheim's situation is more fluid, and more growth is possible. I'd likely keep him since you are looking for a big impact.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

I prefer Sanheim but only by a hair.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Eskimo Brother's reasoning is perfectly sound. Maybe this is a test of your taste for risk; either the solid performer or the gamble. Either way, I think you'll be happy with Parayko or Sanheim. Now how do we delete this thread after Parayko puts up 13/44/57 next year?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Eskimo Brother's reasoning is perfectly sound. Maybe this is a test of your taste for risk; either the solid performer or the gamble. Either way, I think you'll be happy with Parayko or Sanheim. Now how do we delete this thread after Parayko puts up 13/44/57 next year?
    Even if he does I'll forget to come back to it haha, so that's on you