Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zegras vs Cozens

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Zegras vs Cozens

For league in sig , who do you prefer in 3-5 years ?
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Zegras vs Cozens

Quote Originally Posted by poolsharks View Post
    I pick 6th and it looks like it’s going to be between these two guys for me . I realize they are really close but what do you guys think ?
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What are you expecting for picks 3, 4 and 5?

I personally prefer Zegras of the two. He seems to have an IQ and knack for making some pretty incredible things happen with the puck.

That being said.. I see them both as eventual wingers, and Cozens may be closer time wise because of his size and speed.. but Zegras should have a higher output, especially if he gets a nice goalscorer to play alongside.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
    What are you expecting for picks 3, 4 and 5?

I personally prefer Zegras of the two. He seems to have an IQ and knack for making some pretty incredible things happen with the puck.

That being said.. I see them both as eventual wingers, and Cozens may be closer time wise because of his size and speed.. but Zegras should have a higher output, especially if he gets a nice goalscorer to play alongside.
    It looks like : Hughes
    Kakko
    Byram
    Turcotte
    Dach

Dobber Sports Initiate

I lean towards Zegras too but I also really Cozens , keep the votes coming guys . Thx Lindros88 !

Dobber Sports Titan

It looks like : Hughes
    Kakko
    Byram
    Turcotte
    Dach
    Really? Most everything I have seen has Dach behind the aforementioned two. I think Zegras is generally ahead of Cozens, so I'll go with that.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

To me the top four will most likely be Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte and Bynam in the NHL draft if you believe the pundits. After that, the lines get really thin between the rest of the top forwards getting drafted, which includes Zegras and Cozens. I will usually go look at different scouting reports to see who likes who more. Pronman is one I normally refer to for info. He's usually good at ranking and explaining why he likes them a certain way. Another I like to read is Craig Button. His final "list" comes out later today so I will be curious to see where he ranks them.

For the record, this is Pronmans current top 10:

Hughes
    Kakko
    Turcotte
    Byram
    Caufield
    Zegras
    Cozens
    Boldy
    Broberg
    Dach

The fact that he has Zegras and Cozens right after each other at 6 & 7 respectively should pretty much tell you how close these two are today. I have little doubt if you check other boards most will have them that close as well. They are both top prospects this year.

Pronman also ranks this skills as this:

Zegras
    Skating: 50
    Puck Skills: 60
    Physical Game: 45
    Hockey Sense: 75

Cozens
    Skating: 60
    Puck Skills: 55
    Physical Game: 65
    Hockey Sense: 60

Both have strengths over the other if you go by his scouting report.

I have no idea how any of us are able to differentiate between them, let alone the actual NHL scouts who have to pick them as well. I do not envy their jobs.

Is there anyway you are able to wait to make your selection until after the actual draft to see where these kids land and what opportunities may arise for them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    For the record, this is Pronmans current top 10:

Hughes
    Kakko
    Turcotte
    Byram
    Caufield
    Zegras
    Cozens
    Boldy
    Broberg
    Dach
    This is my personal order also.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I have no idea how any of us are able to differentiate between them, let alone the actual NHL scouts who have to pick them as well. I do not envy their jobs.
    This. I held off responding to this post as I think at this point it's a matter of going with your gut. I don't know how anyone can tell you who will be the better producer in 3-5 years. I actually traded down from 5 to 8 in my league (which drafts before the NHL) as I figured there would be three fewer options to confuse me haha.

Dobber Sports Star

Agree that it seems near-impossible to differentiate between the 3-13 range or so. Still, to drastically oversimplify their player types, in choosing between an exceptional playmaker and guy with enviable size, I'd select the skilled playmaker.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd also consider Caufield at 5th.

But between Zegras and Cozens, I'm taking Zegras right now.

Also, in regards to what Axeman mentioned about the top 4 in the NHL draft as Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte and Byram... I agree with the first 3, and I am high on Byram, but I just really see Colorado taking a centreman. They don't really have a good 2C behind Mack. Just my feeling but I've probably been wrong more than I've been right .

Anyways, in regards to the OP, if you have to select prior to the NHL draft on the 22nd and the four players you've mentioned are gone, my preference is

Caufield
    Zegras
    Dach
    Cozens/Boldy
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

The Great One

I like Zegras as well for fantasy. I think a big part of the allure in Cozens is that he has that frame to be a prototypical dominant 1a center with size (ala kopitar)- but he is still very raw with much of his development in an obscure mens league. I think Zegras is more polished with a more proven hockey IQ at this point. In a couple years this could look stupid but drafting for fantasy today Ill take Zegras...

Dobber Sports Genius

Let me first say that I am not a 'prospects guy', and secondly let me say that this is a serious question(not a trolling one)... I am curious.

If you are looking at these players in a 3-5 window, how can you answer this question until the players have been drafted and you have an idea about where they will be playing -- what the opportunities the organization's situation will allow for.

For example, if you were drafted by the 2007-18 Oilers you would be hurried into the league, whereas if you were drafted by the 2006-18 Red Wings you would learn your craft anywhere but on the big club.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Pro

It's so close after Hughes/Kakko that I can't confidently rank the players until I see what NHL team they end up on. That will be the deciding factor for me.

In a vacuum, I like Zegras better, and also like Caufield better than both of them. But fantasy upside is TBD until we know their homes.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have the 3rd pick in my draft, and although Turcotte has been ranked as kind of the defacto 3rd best player.. I can't see myself taking him. I'm stuck on Zegras/Cozens as well and like I said earlier, I'm leaning Zegras. I have the issue as well that I could see myself taking Podkolzin since I've put in so much research time into him, and I've had him so high all year.

Crazy how there's really 8 or so players that could be justified so high.