Thread: Expansion draft decisions

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Expansion draft decisions

Hey Dobberities, there will be an expansion draft in our League and we can protect A - 11F-4D-1G or B - 13Skater+2G.

H2H League expanding to 22 teams. 7 Standard skater categories + FOW/HIT/BLK + 4 Goalie stats.

My Team:

F: Barkov, Backström, Toews, Bergeron, Radulov, Marner, E.Lindholm, Huberdeau, Benn, Landeskog, T.Hall, Gusev, Nyquist, Simmonds, N.Ritchie, Laughton
    D: Chabot, Pulock, Trouba, Hamilton, Parayko, Faulk, Weber
    G: Hellebuyck, Holtby, M.Jones

Who would you protect? (I marked my choices with bold)

Most likely I'm going to lose two of the not bolded players, or I can try to package some to get small upgrade on the protected players and lose some lesser players like Simmonds or N.Ritchie.
    Last edited by CaptainCally; June 4, 2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: changed keep to protect

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Expansion draft decisions

Can't disagree with any of your choices but I'd be tempted to keep Gusev over Radulov and maybe Holtby over Trouba, unless you can draft a good G instead.

I'm thinking about keeping Gusev over Radulov, but who knows what he can do in the NHL. Radulov is an established 70 point producer, however he may be not an ideal target for an expansion team.

If I keep another G then I have to expose two of my bolded skaters like Trouba and Hamilton for example.

Dobber Sports Titan

I would keep Radulov over Gusev.

Sucks to lose Holtby, but you lose a good player no matter how you slice it. And if you end up with Helle and Jones as a tandem in a 22-team league, you're still set.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm high on Gusev talent-wise but his deployment in Vegas is the x-factor and we have to wait to see what happens there. I'd definitely keep Radulov over him until he gets the right opportunity and proves he can match what Rads does.

The choices you have bolded look pretty good to me.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Jedi

with Hits and blocks... Shea Weber over Hamilton 10/10 times...
    Similar point totals but vastly different periphs ... give me the MC stud.
    I worry not about age.. the rest of your keepers on D are relatively young.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Hard to chose when I don' t know: (a) the expansion rules (i.e., can you lose more than one of your goalies)? and (b) how many goalies do you dress?

If you dress 1 goalie, I wouldn't worry about losing Holtby. If you dress 2, then I'd definitely want to know if you are at risk of losing both Holtby and Jones to expansion.

We start 2 goalies per week, and yes I can lose two of them.

The Great One

In a start 2G, 22 team league...having two stud starters is huge. And I also suspect that the waiver wire will be absolutely bare for goalies. I'm be tempted to protect Hellebuyck and Holtby. Would be tempted to sacrifice Toews and one of your D...

Dobber Sports Genius

F: Barkov, Backström, Toews, Bergeron, Radulov, Marner, E.Lindholm, Huberdeau, Benn, Landeskog, T.Hall, Gusev, Nyquist, Simmonds, N.Ritchie, Laughton
    D: Chabot, Pulock, Trouba, Hamilton, Parayko, Faulk, Weber
    G: Hellebuyck, Holtby, M.Jones

Then one of Toews, Radulov, Huberdeau...
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with your own picks, but would take Holtby over Radulov. I think it's way easier to replace a guy like Radulov compared to a starting G of a strong team. Also Radulov doesn't offer much in the peripherals, so he doesn't hold too much value in a league like yours...
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

After thinking about it a lot, most likely I'm going with the "13 skater+2 Goalies" protection form and trying to trade away Jones for some youth.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree you need to go 13 skaters & 2 goalies, unless there is only 1 expansion team, and you can work out a deal with them in advance, as happened in the NHL.

If you don't protect two goalies, you should lose both of your spares, and it's likely you will be bidding to get a goalie in trade back. .Honestly I would grab any solid starter left exposed in expansion, and worry about sorting it out later. Having 4 starting NHL goalies as an expansion team isn't a problem, it's an opportunity.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.