Thread: Ty Smith

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Ty Smith

Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering why Ty Smith is so high in the Dobber Prospect Guide.

I'm in a keeper league, point only and we count 3C 4W and 3D.

What can you tell me about him.

Is he better than Girard, Sanheim, Jokiharju or Valimaki? I know they are all good young D, but if you answer yes, by how much Smith is better than those D?

Other than the fact, that, compare to the others, he has no competition (Butcher?!), why do you think he is better?

Thanks

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Ty Smith

I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen a lot of his games, but what I have seen has impressed me. Depending on the number of teams in your league, it will also probably be a few years before he is close to relevant with those smaller rosters.

That being said, I like his upside more than Girard's, and similar to the other three you mentioned. He seems like a very solid, well-rounded player. Similar to Pietrangelo in the fact that there aren't any holes in his game.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Ty Smith

I think you partially answered your own question - as to why he`s ranked so high - there`s no one in front of him. As soon as Ty is ready to take the PP1 reigns in NJ, they`re his.

I have a 2 part answer to your question - No. He currently is not better than any of the D you mentioned. Reason - they`re all NHL ready & gaining ice time. Ty may be another year or two from playing in the NHL. Dmen are very fickle in terms of adjustment times to break in.

Yes - I think he has higher offensive upside than pretty much any of those players. If his development pans out.
    All 4 of the D you mention will give you points/production this and next year before Smith starts to catch up.
    All 4 of them could touch on 50pts at some point in time during their careers.

Girard is about to get bounced back by Makar & currently has Barrie in front of him too.
    Seems like he'll always be second fiddle in Colorado

Sanheim, well we'll see if Ghost bounces back or if he can usurp him from the #1 job. Regardless of down year - those are big shoes to fill.

Joki - just got buried behind Gustafsson & Boqvist is coming. Along with a bevy of others with well rounded skill sets.

Valimaki - there's a log jam. He, Kylington, Andersson are all looking for time. Vets block them all. Something's got to give

Jeremy Davies is an unknown, unvalued D prospect with some real upside in deeper pools (gets compared to Will Butcher - if Butcher shot the puck). That Smith 'might' find pushing him in camp for a starting gig. He's a bit older coming out of college. he could be closer.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4