Thread: Pedigree vs Donner's "Time is Everything" Mentality

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Pedigree vs Donner's "Time is Everything" Mentality

I just took over a dynasty team (my first ever dynasty! I'm very new to having to pay attention to prospects...) that is an utter dumpster fire. My goalies are Rask, Kinkaid, Nedeljkovic, and Sparks, but I noticed that there are some decent prospects on FA.

Namely:

Scott (Tor)
    Hogberg (Ott)
    All of Boyle, Dostal, Eriksson Ek (Ana)
    Korenar (SJ)
    Point (Dal)
    Gillies (Cal)

Since my team is a couple years away from being remotely competitive, who do you all think has the best shot at being impactful given their progression, pedigree, and team situation?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Pedigree vs Donner's "Time is Everything" Mentality

Welcome to dynasty leagues and the forum! One thing you’ll learn about this forum is the more information you give on your roster (how many starters, how big of minors, etc) and format (scoring categories, roto, h2h etc) the better and more accurate thoughts and advice you’ll receive.

To answer your question, I personally let other GMs sit on the goalie prospects (they usually take 4+ yrs and that’s an eternity in fantasy hockey) and usually look to trade for them or pick them up when their value is still a year or two out from any nhl chance. Guys like gillies and Hogberg would interest me more than a skinner or Dostal even through the latter might be higher rated. Really the amount of goalies you roster comes down to your roster number and the amount of minor spots.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Titan

Welcome to the forums!
    Gillies and Boyle would be the ones I would want to own as I think they're closest to the NHL. Really tough to say anything past that. Though Scott has had some real success this season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the responses! It's a relatively deep league with 2 active goalie slots, and 4 goalie bench spots, although not everyone uses up all 6 slots (I only inherited 4). It's also worth noting that the scoring is:

W = 3.5
    S = .3
    GA = -1.5
    SO = 3

Goalies aren't valued very highly overall, but the ones that do bring value are the work horses. Markstrom, for instance, finished higher than Bishop and Lehner.

I think Gillies is the choice from FA right now, but because I'm so far away from being competitive, I'm not opposed to sitting on a long term project

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Gillies

and welcome! You'll find everything you need at Dobber. Fantastic forum. Cheers

Dobber Sports Jedi

Gillies is the closest of the bunch, but he underwhelms me.

I wonder if Joseph Woll is available? He's much closer than Scott - (who's my #1G on that list in terms of upside) signed his ELC at thee end of Boston College's season. He's in front of Scott in terms of development right now in Tor. He's no slouch and has above avg. upside.

Another name that might be under the radar is Kappo Kahkonen - Minn. A bit older and one injury away from getting a real cup of coffee with Minn. Started absolutely lights out in the AHL last season before cooling to sustainable numbers.

A couple other names that 'might' be available and are also closer than Scott -

Merzlikins
    Francouz (back up in Col 19/20 - most likely, just signed 1yr deal)
    Nalimov - Chi

One really interesting prospect to watch is Conor Ingram. Very likely owned, but after a solid AHL season, he was demoted to the ECHL to end the season. Basically banished. I dunno if it's an attitude issue (none reported when in Kamloops) or if there's issues with him getting bumped to back up or whatever... there's fractures in that relationship between him and TB.. If he got moved - He'd go up my list if avail.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

I'm not crazy about any of the goalies you listed from a fantasy perspective. There's some decent talent there but all prospects are competing for two available spots in their respective organization. It's not easy climbing the ranks.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Gillies is the closest of the bunch, but he underwhelms me.

I wonder if Joseph Woll is available? He's much closer than Scott - (who's my #1G on that list in terms of upside) signed his ELC at thee end of Boston College's season. He's in front of Scott in terms of development right now in Tor. He's no slouch and has above avg. upside.

Another name that might be under the radar is Kappo Kahkonen - Minn. A bit older and one injury away from getting a real cup of coffee with Minn. Started absolutely lights out in the AHL last season before cooling to sustainable numbers.

A couple other names that 'might' be available and are also closer than Scott -

Merzlikins
    Francouz (back up in Col 19/20 - most likely, just signed 1yr deal)
    Nalimov - Chi

One really interesting prospect to watch is Conor Ingram. Very likely owned, but after a solid AHL season, he was demoted to the ECHL to end the season. Basically banished. I dunno if it's an attitude issue (none reported when in Kamloops) or if there's issues with him getting bumped to back up or whatever... there's fractures in that relationship between him and TB.. If he got moved - He'd go up my list if avail.

Some good names and alternative options here

I scooped Woll in one of my leagues whom I was happy was available