Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Case to be made? - Grubauer

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Case to be made? - Grubauer

With how young and skilled Colorado is, especially on the defensive end is there a case to be made that Grubauer could be a top 10 fantasy goalie next year? Would taking him in the 5th round be a reach or good gamble?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Case to be made? - Grubauer

There is a case that he COULD be, but he could also be the 35th ranked goaltender. It's all about acquisition cost. If he is more likely to outproduce his draft slot than anyone else you can pick, he's your pick.

We would need to know your league size, scoring and settings, who else is available to be picked, and whatever other relevant info you have. Wouldn't hurt to know what goalies are already off the board, and who you have already picked.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Goaltending has become extremely random. He could be #1, he could be #25. He should have a good opportunity especially with Varlamov moving on and his team appears to be on the rise.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm in a limited keeper and I'm keeping him over Dubnyk for what it's worth... he's also ranked #35 partly due to being behind Varly the 1st half of the year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I think there's a good chance he will be top 10 next year, but nothing is guaranteed (especially when it comes to goal-tending).

Beyond Vasilevskiy, there aren't many "sure things" in the NHL right now. My personal top 5 (based solely on fantasy value) is fairly set. After that, there are so many goalies that are virtually interchangeable atm, and Grubauer is right in the mix with the likes of Dubnyk, Binnington, Lehner, Mrazek, Rask, Fleury, etc.

My top 5:
    Vasilevskiy
    Andersen
    Holtby
    Hellebuyck
    Bobrovsky (assuming Florida)
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm apprehensive he can handle a heavy workload. 37 games this past season is his heaviest workload in the NHL and 49 games 4 years ago in the AHL was his heaviest season professionally. If he has a bad stretch of games and Francouz (or whomever) steps up Colorado's crease could turn more into a 1A/B situation. Grubauer"s relatively cheap contract won't hold the crease for him if fatigue kicks in.

The Great One

Let’s see what that crease situation looks like come October as Salic hasn’t ruled out Varlamov’s return (though guessing it is unlikely). Francouz showed well in very limited showings and Grubauer had ups and downs this year...

not sure I’m keeping him over Dubnyk but i can see an argument to do that
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Administrator

I'm definitely in the camp thinking Grubauer/Francouz will be the tandem and the Avs will use the extra cash to shore up their depth.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'm definitely in the camp thinking Grubauer/Francouz will be the tandem and the Avs will use the extra cash to shore up their depth.
    I'm VERY interested to see what happens with their defense...Makar and Girard were dynamite to watch in the playoffs. With Barrie only having one-year remaining, I can't see them re-signing him. They certainly don't need him with Makar and Girard around. It will be interesting to see where they spend the money.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I'm VERY interested to see what happens with their defense...Makar and Girard were dynamite to watch in the playoffs. With Barrie only having one-year remaining, I can't see them re-signing him. They certainly don't need him with Makar and Girard around. It will be interesting to see where they spend the money.
    I think they'll be making more changes up front than on D. Looking through their team it seems like they have a first line and then two third lines. They need some actual quality scoring beyond their top line. So basically a real C2 and a winger.

Matt Duchene might be a good fit... oh right my bad.

Dobber Sports Novice

I'd take him in the 5th round. He could be top 10 but more importantly he should deliver reliable game to game stats as good as any in the NHL given the team in front of him. I'd take him in the 5th any day of the week.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Fly13 View Post
    I'd take him in the 5th round. He could be top 10 but more importantly he should deliver reliable game to game stats as good as any in the NHL given the team in front of him. I'd take him in the 5th any day of the week.
    Would you still take him if a couple of guys like Bishop, Lehner, Fleury, Rask, Jones, Dubnyk, Murray, etc are still on the board? Context of the choice matters
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Novice

If I recall right (I'll scroll to the top of the page) specifically about Grubauer and not the availability of other goaltenders. Specifics of the question matters

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Fly13 View Post
    If I recall right (I'll scroll to the top of the page) specifically about Grubauer and not the availability of other goaltenders. Specifics of the question matters
    Oh I know. But if I asked you should I pay $10 for a sandwich for lunch, and then you answer yes or no. You don't know the quality of the sandwich, whether $10 is a lot or a little to me, or what other lunch options are available that might be a better deal (sandwich or not - maybe pizza is the way to go).

My point being, sure, Grubauer could be a good guy to pick in the 5th round, but it's not black and white. What if a guy like Benn or Bishop slips. Do you pass on them? Holtby I think was picked on average in the 5th or 6th round last year. I would rather him over Grubauer.

So to specifically answer the question ( ), no, I am not taking Grubauer in the 5th round. Especially since I think this is for a 10-team league (the only league the OP seems to be in or post about).

Are there at least 50 players I am picking before Grubauer next season? 100%.

Dobber Sports Novice

Sandwich? We don't need to stinkin' sandwiches. You made a point of quoting me follow by your attempt to discredit my reply to a specific question about "Grubauer". Maybe you are trying to provoke me so you can have a reason to hit me with another infraction like you did for ripping my buddy who I am a close personal friend with. I may be wrong but it seems like you have been following me from post to post and intentionally posting comments quoting an challenging me on my feedback to questions asked by forum members.