Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Karlsson to TB??

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Karlsson to TB??

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You could argue the same thing all day about sponsorship opportunities in bigger markets.
    Same thing with the Canadian vs US dollar, cost of living ($5M is going to go a lot further in a place like Carolina than in New York City). Then you start to get into subjective variables that make bigger markets more attractive than others, Warner markets better than colder ones. I personally feel like there’s no perfect way. Some teams get a sales tax “advantage”, others have a general cost of living “advantage”, etc.

There are so many factors that go into why a player chooses to pick one team over another. Sales tax is a factor, but only one of many factors.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's not a "pay cut"... taxes are real. All that matters is the amount that hits your bank account.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    Same thing with the Canadian vs US dollar, cost of living ($5M is going to go a lot further in a place like Carolina than in New York City). Then you start to get into subjective variables that make bigger markets more attractive than others, Warner markets better than colder ones. I personally feel like there’s no perfect way. Some teams get a sales tax “advantage”, others have a general cost of living “advantage”, etc.

There are so many factors that go into why a player chooses to pick one team over another. Sales tax is a factor, but only one of many factors.
    I agree. It's a very interesting, multi-faceted discussion. My issue with Friedman was that he brushed aside the tax advantage that some teams have and wanted to emphasize the team culture that attracts a player to sign/resign with a team. Granted, those things are important but at the end of the day for the majority of players the $$$ is most important factor on where to sign.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's not a "pay cut"... taxes are real. All that matters is the amount that hits your bank account.
    Exactly
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    On a side note, I completely disagree with Friedman's contention that tax savings is not a major advantage for teams from Florida, Texas, and Nashville. I am not sure if it should be addressed with the salary cap but it definitely is an advantage. A couple podcasts ago he and Marek were debating this.
    I may have missed this specific one, but they have debated it plenty of times on the podcast. From what I recall is that Friedman isn't so much debating that the tax savings aren't an advantage, but rather that it simply isn't something the salary cap should address.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

I am intrigued to see if Tampa Bay can pull this off. They are sitting at ~$8.5M in cap space for next season with a few re-signings to make. Karlsson, even at a discount, is absorbing all of that cap space. So they've got more moves to make:

1) The most obvious solution is to either buyout or Orpik-style trade dump Ryan Callahan. I think they can dump him with a sweetener, say Raddysh and a pick, and then re-sign him for ~$1M, so that clears nearly $5M.
    2) Go for a bridge deal with Brayden Point. This could be tough, but the Lightning have always successfully gotten home-town discounts from their guys. For instance, Kucherov just finished out a run of three seasons of MVP-level play while on a bridge deal at merely $4.8M AAV. Bump that up for inflation and maybe they get Point on a 2-3 -year bridge at ~$5.5M. That soaks up your Callahan savings so at least one more move is required.
    3) Move at least one of Killorn, Johnson, Miller, Palat. Johnson seems to be the most popular option to move but he is the only one with full no-trade protection. Still, any of these guys being moved (potentially as the juice to get the Callahan contract dumped) would clear ~$5M in cap space and generate enough room to fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Ya, if Steve Yzerman was there, most would be more confident on him finding a way to make this happen, especially the Point bridge deal.

It will be interesting to see if Brisebois can pull it off.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Wrong. See above. Money coming in is only half of the equation.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He may be willing to take a paycut to play there, but ask him to cut his hair and I think we'd have a problem.
    The Islanders are automatically eliminated from rumours & consideration.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

The truth is that Tampa is all in - and they didn’t achieve it this year. Can’t believe they will stand pat this Summer despite the looming cap issues (and tbh we all know a first round pick buys some positive enquire in cap issues with teams getting to the floor)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.