Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Karlsson to TB??

The Great One

Default Karlsson to TB??

This is NOT my own speculation- in fact makes very little sense to me- but on the most recent 31 thoughts podcast Elliotte spent a decent amount of time talking about how they are one of the biggest favorites outside of SJ. One of the big factors is that unlike SJ which apparently is a heavily taxed state- TB is tax free! So not only is there potential to sign him but they were speculating he could and would likely have to take a major haircut to keep in line with Hedmans contract but because of the tax situation he might still be coming out ahead money wise. This all sounds totally nuts to me but Friedge is about as legit as it gets. Can you imagine in cap leagues if EK signed in Tampa AND at a discount!! Please excuse me while i wipe the drool off my keyboards :P

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Karlsson to TB??

He may be willing to take a paycut to play there, but ask him to cut his hair and I think we'd have a problem.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I wouldn’t get to drooley just yet. There is definitely smoke in TB which could lead to fire but it’s still the very early stages. Tampa is a income tax free state but that break isn’t as big as most make it out to be. NHL players pay state income tax to the places they work so only his time Tampa would be tax free. All road work is taxed to the respective states. It is still a good chunk of money saved but I don’t believe it’s a driving force like most believe.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bstbullies View Post
    I wouldn’t get to drooley just yet. There is definitely smoke in TB which could lead to fire but it’s still the very early stages. Tampa is a income tax free state but that break isn’t as big as most make it out to be. NHL players pay state income tax to the places they work so only his time Tampa would be tax free. All road work is taxed to the respective states. It is still a good chunk of money saved but I don’t believe it’s a driving force like most believe.
    According to CapGeek, an $8 million salary in Tampa is worth a $10 million salary in SJS. They might be wrong, but if not, that's pretty spot on.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

The Great One

This "news" is about a year old. It was very widely reported in the Ottawa press last year that the major difficulty the Sens had with moving Karlsson is that the only team he'd consider signing a long-term deal with was Tampa Bay. (And for whatever stupid reason, Ottawa didn't want Erik in the Eastern conference).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    According to CapGeek, an $8 million salary in Tampa is worth a $10 million salary in SJS. They might be wrong, but if not, that's pretty spot on.
    You and Capgeek could be right as I’m not an accountant. Saving 2M on 10M a year doesn’t add up to me though. A 5% state tax on 10M would be 500k. Maybe capfriendly is comparing a Canadian team (higher federal tax) to the US AND state tax? I was just trying to point out, say over a 70M 7yr deal he’d be saving a little over half of 3.5M we’ll just say 2M over 7yrs. It’s a big chuck of change but if a higher taxed team offered 73.5M 7yr it’d be basically the same take home money. There’s a difference, just not a big one. I couldn’t find the article that dove into this but I did find a Bloomberg article https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#4e80dd7c411e

Dobber Sports Sage

If this happens that pp1 is going to set records
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bstbullies View Post
    You and Capgeek could be right as I’m not an accountant. Saving 2M on 10M a year doesn’t add up to me though. A 5% state tax on 10M would be 500k. Maybe capfriendly is comparing a Canadian team (higher federal tax) to the US AND state tax? I was just trying to point out, say over a 70M 7yr deal he’d be saving a little over half of 3.5M we’ll just say 2M over 7yrs. It’s a big chuck of change but if a higher taxed team offered 73.5M 7yr it’d be basically the same take home money. There’s a difference, just not a big one. I couldn’t find the article that dove into this but I did find a Bloomberg article https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#4e80dd7c411e
    Yeah I'm not either, just the most legit calculator I could find (CapFriendly sorry, not CapGeek RIP). State tax in SJ is 12.9% though, so quite a bit more than 5% (again, according to CapFriendly). It works out to roughly a million difference after taxes.

SJS (10/8): $5,030,159/$4,036,000
    TB (10/8): $6,335,012/$5,075,012

Check it out for yourself: https://www.capfriendly.com/post_tax_calculator/
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)

Roster

The Great One

Friedge quotes the equivalent value (approx) - likely not to the penny but probably close enough. I'll listen again and post what he said...

The Great One

Sorry he never said an equivalent price point- just that he'd have to take hedman money or less and that it's a tax free state. He also said he thinks TB is currently the frontrunner and that if given a chance Karlsson would find a way to make it work.

@ alsrevenge- who called it news? I posted in trade rumors and listed it as "something I heard on a podcast"- lol!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Yeah I'm not either, just the most legit calculator I could find (CapFriendly sorry, not CapGeek RIP). State tax in SJ is 12.9% though, so quite a bit more than 5% (again, according to CapFriendly). It works out to roughly a million difference after taxes.

SJS (10/8): $5,030,159/$4,036,000
    TB (10/8): $6,335,012/$5,075,012

Check it out for yourself: https://www.capfriendly.com/post_tax_calculator/
    Yeah that makes a lot more sense as California has by far the highest state tax rate, most states fall in the 3-6% range. 12.9% is asinine. I’m still not sure if CF accounts for the state taxes that has to be paid even though he signs in a no income tax state. Those two numbers would be even closer if they haven’t taken that into account. Thanks for the calculator share!

Emu, I think alsrevenge was referring to the “news” as EK65 has been rumored to TB in the past as well.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Sage

On a side note, I completely disagree with Friedman's contention that tax savings is not a major advantage for teams from Florida, Texas, and Nashville. I am not sure if it should be addressed with the salary cap but it definitely is an advantage. A couple podcasts ago he and Marek were debating this.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

You could argue the same thing all day about sponsorship opportunities in bigger markets.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You could argue the same thing all day about sponsorship opportunities in bigger markets.
    I'd want to see all the numbers on that.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I think the big difference there is that the tax advantage applies to every player who signs in favourable states. Sponsorships are. Pretty variable depending on whether you're a star or not.
    Ice Cap

Roster