Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gotta drop one or two goalies - salary cap league

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Gotta drop one or two goalies - salary cap league

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Binnington
    Raanta
    Allen

are my choices. I agree with EB buyout/demote Crawford, whichever is more advantages to you. It's only 1yr
    Koskinen I would cut. Could try shopping, but moving to 1 G is going to limit his value - unless someone has Edm as a sleeper team for next season in your league.
    I want nothing to do with Hutton. He's garbage & Ullmark will lock down the starting gig next year.
    Luca,

(light-hearted)

You chose Allen!!! // NO YOU DIDN'T!! LOL // You did!

- I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

I would hold onto Binnington and Raanta and drop/trade/buyout the rest of you goalies out. This league is doing a reset, now is the time (with these new summer rules) to clear the decks of what you don't need. You need to both be cap-flexible and goal-flexible, and you can't do either until you trim the fat.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Luca,

(light-hearted)

You chose Allen!!! // NO YOU DIDN'T!! LOL // You did!

I know... it never happens. As a back up option giving cuffs to Binnington, he's way more palatable than 55+ gp a year. That and he's 2m cheaper than Crawford and I like Hutton less.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Given the new options you have, and that lots of goalies are going to suddenly become available:

Keep Raanta/Binnington, duh.

Farm Crawford, it's cheaper since he has 1 year left. It's either 1.2 million just this year or 1 million this year and 1 million next year. I'd want that extra million next year and the probable result of him starting the season healthy due to no hockey, being a starting goalie, and having some trade value.

With Hutton & Allen it depends on what you want. It's not cheaper to farm them due to their contracts having 2 years left.

Hutton might have some value to whomever has Ullmark, but if there's nothing working there, I'd probably buy him out. He's old, and has never really been a majority starter except for last year, and the stretches where his competence wrested the starting job from.....

Jake Allen. This guy is not truly a starting caliber NHL goalie. That sentence means I'd lean towards buying him out, but you do have Binnington. Options here are as follows, given that Allen is $4.35 million with 2 years left:

Buyout now: 33% of $4.35M so $1.45M over 4 years = 0.36M, 0.36M, 0.36M, 0.36M
    Farm, then buyout at 66% rate next year = 0.87M, 1.45M, 1.45M, 0.00M
    Farm this year & next = 0.87M, 2.18M, 0.00M, 0.00M

It really depends if holding Allen as a handcuff is worth it to you. You might need to call him up, and that increases his salary to normal, right?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Given the new options you have, and that lots of goalies are going to suddenly become available:

Keep Raanta/Binnington, duh.

Farm Crawford, it's cheaper since he has 1 year left. It's either 1.2 million just this year or 1 million this year and 1 million next year. I'd want that extra million next year and the probable result of him starting the season healthy due to no hockey, being a starting goalie, and having some trade value.

With Hutton & Allen it depends on what you want. It's not cheaper to farm them due to their contracts having 2 years left.

Hutton might have some value to whomever has Ullmark, but if there's nothing working there, I'd probably buy him out. He's old, and has never really been a majority starter except for last year, and the stretches where his competence wrested the starting job from.....

Jake Allen. This guy is not truly a starting caliber NHL goalie. That sentence means I'd lean towards buying him out, but you do have Binnington. Options here are as follows, given that Allen is $4.35 million with 2 years left:

Buyout now: 33% of $4.35M so $1.45M over 4 years = 0.36M, 0.36M, 0.36M, 0.36M
    Farm, then buyout at 66% rate next year = 0.87M, 1.45M, 1.45M, 0.00M
    Farm this year & next = 0.87M, 2.18M, 0.00M, 0.00M

It really depends if holding Allen as a handcuff is worth it to you. You might need to call him up, and that increases his salary to normal, right?
    Buyout math is actually 33% of the salary each of the years for twice as long as the length of the contract, it's not 33% spread out over that many years. So Crawford would be 2M for each of the two years, and Allen is 1.45M for all four years.

That probably affects your logic a little.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)