Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gotta drop one or two goalies - salary cap league

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Gotta drop one or two goalies - salary cap league

Our cap league is dropping to ONE goalie position because the goalies are a bit OP and are hard to get. The top teams have acquired the top goalies and they are next to impossible to get. A league vote suggested to drop to ONE goalie spot (goalies get up to 130pts on good teams)

In an effort to be competitive, I have had to commit to several 2nd tier goalies. Now I have too many. I want to run with 3 goalies to make sure I play enough games. WHO DO I BUYOUT (2/3 of salary over twice the length of contract remaining) or SEND TO THE FARM (at a 50% cap hit)

Cap is based on real NHL cap each season. So anticipate $83mil next year.
    Points are 2pts for win, +0.1 per save, -1pt per goal against. Usually a win nets you 2-3pts. A bad loss can drop you though. A 2-0 loss with 40 saves you still get almost 2pts..

Goalies I am committed to (and can buyout at a reduced rate, but has cap implications)

Hutton (2yrs at $2.75mil)
    Rannta (2yrs at $4.25mil)
    Crawford (1yr at $6mil)
    Allen (2yrs at 4.35mil)

Goalies I OWN but can choose to resign or release
    Binnington!
    Koskinen

So I sort of want to keep Binnington if he signs around $4mil...could be a star (hope he's not the hamblurger)...leaning towards him, and ??? , ???

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Gotta drop one or two goalies - salary cap league

I'd want to end up with Binnington, Raanta, and Hutton.

It seems that you're going to have to eat a bunch of salary to get to 3. If you're looking to bottom out this year, then change Hutton to Crawford to take the hit this year.

Dobber Sports Titan

Sending Crawford and Allen to the minors saves you the most, but it also costs the most in terms of dead cap space. I'm assuming you can't easily trade one.

Cutting Koskinen is probably the way to go there, while Binnington should be a bargain for you. I would want to keep Allen as the handcuff. Raanta is solid, and Hutton should be able to give you something vs his cost anyways, so he's likely more worth keeping.
    At that point it looks like it's Allen in the minors, and Crawford could be demoted or bought out depending on what you need more next year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Big Daddy

Resign Binnington.
    Release Koskinen.
    Eat Crawford’s $6M for one more year and then dump him.
    Hold on to Raanta.
    Buyout Hutton and Allen.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Sign Binnington.
    I'd want to hold Raanta.
    Crawford was decent when healthy, but who knows if that will happen again.
    As much as I hate Jake Allen, he's a handcuff to Binnington, so you likely want him in your system if he stays there.
    Hutton is cheap, but I'm not high on him.
    Koskinen is a free cut, but he may have trade value.

Is there any chance you can trade Koskinen, Crawford, Allen (very doubtful) or Hutton for anything at all? You have 6 goalies, but I'm betting many others don't have that many - maybe someone else has a similar contract roster crunch in a different spot, and you each can eke out some depth instead of buying guys out.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Sign Binnington.
    I'd want to hold Raanta.
    Crawford was decent when healthy, but who knows if that will happen again.
    As much as I hate Jake Allen, he's a handcuff to Binnington, so you likely want him in your system if he stays there.
    Hutton is cheap, but I'm not high on him.
    Koskinen is a free cut, but he may have trade value.

Is there any chance you can trade Koskinen, Crawford, Allen (very doubtful) or Hutton for anything at all? You have 6 goalies, but I'm betting many others don't have that many - maybe someone else has a similar contract roster crunch in a different spot, and you each can eke out some depth instead of buying guys out.
    I'll try to get some value...not entirely sure that's going to be possible. Some teams have 1 goalie...but will inevitably wait to see who the top teams release to restock for free.
    Crawford was good at the end of last season...and he is on a contract year...so that's positive. His injury history isn't.

The Great One

Who do you fancy being healthier - Raanta or Crawford?

out of interest how does IR work in your league?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Novice

Alright. In an effort to soften the blow the following rules are changed for this year. These were just voted on and passed to help the massive change that is a goalie position loss. The following is for THIS OFFSEASON ONLY

20% farm hit for goalies (so farm cost is only 20% of salary instead of 50%)
    I can also buyout any of my goalies for 1/3 the cost over twice the remaining years
    (Crawford is 6mil so 2mil / 2yrs = 1mil cap hit over 2 years)
    (Allen is $4.35mil so $1.45mil / 4yrs = 0.36mil cap hit for 4 seasons)
    (Hutton is $2.75mil so 0.91 / 4yrs = 0.2275mil cap hit for 4 seasons)
    (Raanta is $4.25mil so around 0.34mil cap hit over 4 seasons)

The cap hit for Allen, Hutton, or Raanta is small - despite it being 4 seasons long. So now my options are better.

Will Raanta actually play? Or has Kuemper surpassed him? Is Allen worth keeping in a tandem with Binnington? Crawford played well last year at the end, but one more bonk to the head and he could be out for the season...

Plan is to have 3 goalies
    Binnington
    _______
    _______

?

add: Ideas
    Keep Allen in minors (20% cap hit and can recall him - but subject to waivers...though doubt anyone would want to take him)

Dobber Sports Titan

Binnington, Raanta, Hutton are the guys you want to keep.

Also, whoever came up with those rules gave you a very clear path forward to get rid of Allen and Crawford:
    Minors $2.07 for next year, $4.35M for 2020-2021
    Buyout $3.45 until 2021, and $1.45M until 2023.

At the cost of two spots on the bench in the minors, you come out way ahead money wise, and you have your injury replacements in house.

Also, yes, Raanta will be the starter next year. He's better, and he has the contract.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Binnington
    Raanta
    Allen

are my choices. I agree with EB buyout/demote Crawford, whichever is more advantages to you. It's only 1yr
    Koskinen I would cut. Could try shopping, but moving to 1 G is going to limit his value - unless someone has Edm as a sleeper team for next season in your league.
    I want nothing to do with Hutton. He's garbage & Ullmark will lock down the starting gig next year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

Lots of good opinions here. Some say keep Hutton, others say turf him. Raanta seems to be the consistent one to keep. Im surprised at the Crawford suggestions, but it seems consistent. I guess he has missed time two seasons in a row. High Risk, low reward.

So likely
    Binnington
    Raanta
    ________??

Dobber Sports Titan

And Crawford's cap is a lot higher than the other options.

Dobber Sports Novice

Maybe Crawford is stashed on the farm at 1/3 (2mil cap hit) as my 'backup' recall and I keep 3 other goalies on the roster? It's either 2mil in dead cap this year, or 1mil over the next 2 seasons...sort of the same thing but at least I can use him if I get injuries.

How valuable is Allen if he stays in St. Louis?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pawtucket View Post
    Right now it doesn't look so good but he's a good goalie and no goalie is immune to tough stretches these days (including Binnington). He'll get his share of starts behind Binnington.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pawtucket View Post
    Maybe Crawford is stashed on the farm at 1/3 (2mil cap hit) as my 'backup' recall and I keep 3 other goalies on the roster? It's either 2mil in dead cap this year, or 1mil over the next 2 seasons...sort of the same thing but at least I can use him if I get injuries.

Outside of 2015-16, Allen has never been what I'd call a good goalie, but he was decent enough to be roughly average in 14-15, and 16-17. I lean heavily on GSAA and somewhat on QS%. He was a volume starter on a pretty good team, but the Blues have always been in a situation where a better guy could show up at any time.

He has value as a handcuff to Binnington, especially if Binnington's play erodes or he gets hurt. The Blues seemed to have Allen's back for far too long, so we'll see how things shake out.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.