Thread: [Signing] Joakim Nygard signs with Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [Signing] Joakim Nygard signs with Oilers

I don't know much about him but I do remember reading that a lot of teams were interested in signing him. I do like what I am reading from this link though.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/05/23/...joakim-nygard/

According to reports on Twitter, the Edmonton Oilers have signed 26-year-old Swedish free agent forward, Joakim Nygard, to an NHL contract, though the contract details have not yet been released.
    Over at Elite Prospects, friend of the Nation, Uffe Bodin, recently wrote about Nygard’s game and what his next team might expect from him:

“It’s most likely the goals that have made the undrafted free agent interesting to more than 20 NHL teams, but it’s really his ability to play a complete 200 ft. game that gives him a shot at becoming a regular in the league next season.

Speed is the key word here. Joakim Nygård is one of, if not the fastest player in the SHL right now. He owns the kind of footspeed that can overwhelm opposing defensemen and leave them in a pile of dust, but also to put pressure on the forecheck and the backcheck. Carl Hagelin would be an obvious comparison… Early in his career, speed was the only asset Nygård really had. Thanks to hard work and good schooling, he has been able to build a nice game around that foundation.”
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Default Re: [Signing] Joakim Nygard signs with Oilers

Good on them for bringing in a guy for free. Try it out and see how it goes!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

I wonder if this is a guy that Holland was scouting already for the Wings and managed to snipe him from them signing him. Hard to say. As I say, there apparently was lots of interest around the league for him.

Either way, as you say eric, it's no harm no foul. I have read that it's a one year deal and an ELC so the cap hit wont be bad. Good spin around the block at the very least.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Nice signing. I don't know a whole lot about him but he's generally described at a fast, defensively-responsible forward, Carl Hagelin does seem like a good comparison. He was second in the SHL in goals this year behind Emil Bemstrom, 21 in 52 games, 13.7 SH%.

Another thing that I'm fairly sure about but not 100% confident is that since he still has an active SHL contract he cannot be sent to the AHL. It's the Oilers or back to Sweden.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Nice signing. I don't know a whole lot about him but he's generally described at a fast, defensively-responsible forward, Carl Hagelin does seem like a good comparison. He was second in the SHL in goals this year behind Emil Bemstrom, 21 in 52 games, 13.7 SH%.

Another thing that I'm fairly sure about but not 100% confident is that since he still has an active SHL contract he cannot be sent to the AHL. It's the Oilers or back to Sweden.
    I don't know the ins and outs of the CBA but Ryan Rishaug was discussing him this morning on Edmonton's TSN radio station and said that he can be sent down to the AHL and that the impression he got from the team was that Nygard would get every opportunity to make the NHL team but would go down to the AHL if necessary.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Jedi

With these signings, I set my expectations low. good depth add, free. low to no risk.. If he is responsible in his own end. bonus. If he produces more than Par Lindholm did - added bonus.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    With these signings, I set my expectations low. good depth add, free. low to no risk.. If he is responsible in his own end. bonus. If he produces more than Par Lindholm did - added bonus.
    If he scores at least one goal, he's already an upgrade to Reider.