Thread: What would you focus on?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default What would you focus on?

Hi everyone,

I inherited a team near the end of the season. I made some trades to boost depth but I was wondering what areas you would focus on? I believe a better RW and Goalies are prime areas to focus on. I may be able to secure Holtby depending on the managers wants and needs.

Player ratings are based on a formula that takes stats from the previous 2 seasons (50% from each)

Dynasty Sim League
    31 teams

C :
    Jack Eichel, Jordan Staal, Alex Galchenyuk, Sam Bennett, Ryan MacInnis

LW :Andrew Ladd, Boone Jenner, Jimmy Vesey, Derek MacKenzie, Morgan Klimchuk,
    Andrew Mangiapane

RW: Jordan Eberle, Nino Niederreiter, Matt Calvert, Jake Virtanen, Jayce Hawryluk

D: TJ Brodie, Brent Seabrook, Jordie Benn, Kevan Miller, Marc Methot, Erik Gustafsson,
    Dylan McIlrath , Brett Kulak, Robbie Russo

G: Cam Talbot, Jack Campbell, Michal Neuvirth, MacKenzie Blackwood

Prospects: Alexander Alexeyev, Tyler Parsons, Andrei Altybarmakyan, Brandon Hickey, Cameron Crotty,
    Connor Ingram, Linus Lindstrom, Mitchell Mattson, Reilly Walsh
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

The Great One

Default Re: What would you focus on?

Honestly, you could use help at almost every position, but goalie is your biggest weakness by far. You don't have a single starter there, unless Schneider's injury issues continue. Blackwood is certainly a good wildcard to have, but I'd want a sure-fire starter. Holtby would obviously be a huge upgrade, but it is going to be so hard for you to acquire a goalie of his caliber without giving up the few good assets you have at other positions.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

A goalie. You have no sure starter or close to it. Even your prospect Ingram found himself demoted to the ECHL by the end of the season... There's something brewing there. His numbers say he didn't deserve it... so is it his attitude?

An interesting situation to watch there (pending trade this summer?)

I'd also find a way to move Seabrook. In a SIM.. I can't see him providing much positive value. Same with Ladd.

Some crafty waiver wire moves & some well thought out value 2-1 deals are going to be needed.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Goaltending. Honestly, your roster looks like a team I took over, except worse, because I had Murray, but it was start 2, and far less teams, but much deeper benches.

You may have to throw some darts into lower tier goalies and hope one hits. I got lucky with Nilsson & Sparks last year, and delia helped some. I doubt there's much freely available talent, but guys like Ladd aren't going to help you much. A goalie suspect might help you more, and by that I mean a guy who isn't htought of highly generally, but has a shot via some way, some how to play in the NHL soon.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Your teams needs a lot of work in all areas. You should look at being a bottom dweller for a couple of season to generate good picks. Use some senior players as a package deal to pick up a stringer players and or first and second round picks. From what I see there is no quick fix option for you at this time; but if you have time then take it slow, stay at the bottom and trade for top level picks to rebuild it from scratch. Obviously you already have some solid players to build from.

Dobber Sports Titan

C : Jack Eichel, Jordan Staal, Alex Galchenyuk, Sam Bennett

LW :Boone Jenner

RW: Nino Niederreiter, Jake Virtanen

D: Erik Gustafsson

G: Jack Campbell, MacKenzie Blackwood

Prospects: Alexander Alexeyev, Tyler Parsons, Connor Ingram

These are the guys that I like. The rest can be sold off for the best return. Brodie is overrated, Seabrook is a pylon, and Vesey peaked as a name before he played a game in the NHL. Eberle should be sold as well as soon as he signs his UFA deal and his value peaks.

Goaltending I think is your second best spot (after centres). Blackwood and Campbell have some solid numbers from the last two years, and I imagine that gives you some solid ratings in net. As for moving forward with them, Blackwood should take over the NJ crease, and Campbell will be there when Quick gets injured.

As for the rebuilding bit, in a 31 team league, I would never want to be rebuilding. Between the trade flexibility that creates, the randomness of a sim league, and just generally not wanting to sit at the bottom of the standings for years, I would look only a year or two ahead, and build that way. Focus on acquiring a solid winger or two (use some of your goalie prospects and maybe Alexeev). Defence is probably easier to trade for as I think they would be more underrated for their production vs forwards.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)