Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Oilers potential Signings..

The Great One

Default Re: Oilers potential Signings..

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Connolly could be a nice signing and I could see Holland pulling it off but I'm not sure the Oilers should be really be cracking open their wallet this offseason. They may want to focus on plugging holes with bargain players with something to prove and hoping for the best.

Having just obtained a GM and without a coach they're already behind in signing most cheap unsigned players from Europe and the NCAA.
    Joakim Nygård comes to mind as someone they could plug into the lineup immediately. Vladimir Tkachev again maybe, or the other Vladimir Tkachev? I can't remember which one is signed.

Guys who have struggled to carve out their spot in the NHL like Brandon Pirri or Charles Hudon could prove useful given the right opportunity.

They need a partner for Koskinen first and whatever they spend there will determine where to start with the rest of the UFA crop. My guess has been Brian Elliott signs a relatively cheap contract there but I really don't have a grasp on what Holland may do.
    I agree with this- Connolly's points per 60 are startingly good. Few forwards did what he did with such limited icetime last year- prime breakout candidate...

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    One rumour I've seen floating on the West Coast is Lucic & a good pick/prospect for maybe nothing basically.

Edm. paying to make Lucic go away and it has leaked Lucic is now willing and wanting to play in his hometown Van market.

That pick/prospect would be substantial though.

It would give Holland 6-7m in flexibility to perhaps sign a Dzingel and address a second need
    It would mean Van is doing what they should have started doing 3yrs ago - taking on bad contracts to obtain extra assets and assisting the rebuild.
    What a 4th line Van would have -

Lucic - Sutter - Ericksson
    I'm not sure it was "leaked" Lucic was on Vancouver radio and they asked him about playing for the Canucks being from the area and Lucic said "It's something that could potentially happen in the future" which is about as much of a non-answer as I would expect any hockey player to give.

The story got some legs when Loui Eriksson came out and talked about how unhappy he was in Vancouver and with the coach. A Lucic-Eriksson swap would be great for Edmonton, if only because Eriksson’s contract is a year shorter and his cap hit is a million less.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Taking on Lucic is a bad idea, even if a 1st is coming with him. He has FOUR more years left. So you acquire Lucic and the pick, then the team gets better and... you still have $6M in dead payroll for two years.
    it is a bad idea, but Benning is likely thinking about protection for the likes of EP. Nucks really have no toughness at this point with GUDs gone, not like Edler or Stecher are going to step and protect anyone. Big hole when Dorsett called it quits, even bigger not Guds is gone.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    it is a bad idea, but Benning is likely thinking about protection for the likes of EP. Nucks really have no toughness at this point with GUDs gone, not like Edler or Stecher are going to step and protect anyone. Big hole when Dorsett called it quits, even bigger not Guds is gone.
    So go find a cheaper guy to fill that role. They exist. Also, "protection" hasn't produced the intended result over the years. That's why teams aren't hiring goons anymore.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

If I am not mistaken, bringing Lucic in to "protect" McDavid was one of the big allures for the Oilers but it never really worked out that way or all that well for that matter.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I can see the isles being a good landing spot for Connolly as theres not much competition for top RW slot and they could afford to pay him 4/4.5 per .

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I wonder if they try to sign Varlamov and do a 1a/1b goalie tandem. Thinking Varlamov will garner the 4m range on a contract.
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jokke Nevalainen@JokkeNevalainen

According to @CapFriendly, these 44 players are set to become Group 6 UFAs - basically their RFA status is removed because they haven't played enough NHL games.These are always interesting because many of them can still be considered prospects but they get to choose their team.

Jokke recently posted this list on twitter and if Holland is looking for guys with something to prove to sign to cheap contracts this year's Group 6 UFA crop may be a good place to mine for gold. Riley Barber and recent Calder Cup MVP Andrew Poturalski's names jump out. [ Insert Griffin Reinhart joke here. ]

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    I think Van has drafted well enough to allow them to stay away from bad contracts. They've got enough right now. I honestly have no idea who would take a chance on him.
    Yes and no... They've had the big hits - Boeser, Hughes, Pettersson, Demko. And the diamond in the rough - Gaudette. And Juolevi will be a solid 2nd pair D... eventually. and we'll include whoever they take at #10

But that's it. The next wave is not ready... it's not even really a wave. There's Woo & Madden IMO.

Rathbone, Lind, Lockwood, Gadjovich are either 2-3 years out or not slated to be impact players. The longer they sit in Utica, the further out they are. Utica is a black hole for developing top 6 talent.

They've hit with their 1st rounders... But compare. After the Leafs big 3 AM, MM, WN. The next wave - Dermott, Kapanen, Johnsson hit. Now there's Rosen, Sandin, Bracco, Moore, Marchment... and coming Hollowell, Timashov, Brooks, Engvall, Lindgren

Vancouver doesn't have depth. If any of their hopeful prospects miss... it creates a gap. There's still no room for error. You can never have enough prospects. I'd argue that in their system, they're not ranked top 15 when looking at the depth of talent. They need all the help they can get. If that means Lucic with a high pick or B (or better) prospect - they HAVE to do it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

I dont think the playing with McDavid factor weighs much with free agents. Plus, how much longer will the Soilers be able to offer that minor selling point? Another year, maybe two before McDavid asks for a trade out of there.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I dont think the playing with McDavid factor weighs much with free agents. Plus, how much longer will the Soilers be able to offer that minor selling point? Another year, maybe two before McDavid asks for a trade out of there.

LOL!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    LOL!
    Yes I know the entire Soilers fan base doesnt want to face that. Denial is the obvious first stage of the delusion. Lots of folks laughed at the idea of Gretzky being traded too. But he was, and the Oilers were far from the terrible team then that they are now.

Dobber Sports Deity

Gretzky got traded because of a cheap/greedy owner who didn't want to pony up his next contract. McDavid MIGHT want to move on after his current deal expires, much like Tavares did, but he isn't asking for a trade any time soon. That's something that Oilerhaters are hoping for.

Dobber Sports Sage

I dont hate the Soilers at all Axe. I am ambivalent and impartial. I fully admit I enjoy making fun of them, but that goes for almost everything. I own Draisaitl, Nurse and Bouchard and I like winning so in actuality I would like to see things get straightened out. But I believe the culture in Edmonton is broken and until that is fixed nothing will change.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I dont hate the Soilers at all Axe. I am ambivalent and impartial. I fully admit I enjoy making fun of them, but that goes for almost everything. I own Draisaitl, Nurse and Bouchard and I like winning so in actuality I would like to see things get straightened out. But I believe the culture in Edmonton is broken and until that is fixed nothing will change.
    Have you not been paying attention this off-season?