Thread: Spencer Knight

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Spencer Knight

Hey all! Wasn't sure if this should be posted in here or the trade section but in my fantasy league we're currently in the midst of our rookie draft - we voted on it being before the draft as we wanted to do the scouting and not just pick what the NHL does.

I was lucky enough to get 1st/2nd pick, now I'm looking at my final pick of the whole thing (70 plus picks in total), it's at number 13.

My team is pretty solid for Minors, however, lacking a little on the goalie department (minors, I have good goalies in the majors).... I'm thinking of drafting Spencer Knight at 13... would you say this is worthwhile? I have been offered a trade my 13 for 17,33rd pick but I'm wary of losing out on Knight.

Thoughts?
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Spencer Knight

Drafting any goalie in the 1st round is always a risky move because they normally take forever to develop and make an impact on anyones fantasy roster. That being said, he's certainly highly touted and sounds like one of the better goalie prospects in a few years.

I probably wouldn't do it, but that's me. I wont be surprised if he goes early in a lot of fantasy drafts.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you are in need of some goalie prospects, I'd probably do it. I'm in a 12 team league and could see him going in the 2nd round. My guess, probably around 20-24th OA. As mentioned though, they take time but if you don't mind waiting, I don't see the harm in snagging him.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Administrator

I wouldn't draft a goalie just to fill a positional need considering you'll be waiting at least 3-4 years to get a return on that investment. Stick to your draft board.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

I'd want to see your actual team, including who you've already drafted, before giving an opinion....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'd want to see your actual team, including who you've already drafted, before giving an opinion....
    In my sig

Dobber Sports Prodigy

With Gibson, Hart and Sorokin you are probably set for the next decade.

At this rank I would pick the best player available. I personaly wouldn't pick him before the 25-30th rank.

Dobber Sports Jedi

You only have 160 prospects off the boards it looks like 16 x 10. There should be some real good G prospects much closer to the NHL than Knight. Take Joseph Woll in Tor for example or Kahkonen in Minn. goalies pop up all over the place and blow out their draft position. Knight's heading off to NCAA... that pretty much means a 2/3 yr wait to turn pro. Then another year adjusting.

In a shallow prospect pool like this leagues, I agree with DJ.. you're pretty much set. There's lots of G - prospects floating out there you can grab later. I'd check the top 50 G-prospects list. Wouldn't surprise me if a top 15 was still sitting there.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

If you need a G soon trade the pick. Otherwise there will be some nice G prospects lurking, there always are. My league goes 220 deep at prospects and there are at least a half-dozen G prospects I would like to have that are readily available on the FA pile.

Administrator

Binnington
    Rittich
    Ullmark
    Petersen
    Blackwood
    Georgiev
    Desmith

Most/all of the above would have been available as prospects not that long ago in most leagues. Goaltending has become more random and demanding on goalies, so teams are turning to relying on multiple goalies. Goalies are also able to make an immediate splash when they transition to the NHL. It's all about momentum.

The Great One

I'd ignore goalie and pick the best position player available; you are set in goal for eons. The only way I don't follow this is if goalies have a crazy premium and you think you can flip Knight in a year or two for a significant profit.

Administrator

I'd ignore goalie and pick the best position player available; you are set in goal for eons. The only way I don't follow this is if goalies have a crazy premium and you think you can flip Knight in a year or two for a significant profit.
    In my experience prospect goalies have done surprisingly well on the trade market, especially when a team does into rebuild mode and is selling off their big fish. They usually want to have their "goalie of the future" sorted out. That said I'd still have a hard time drafting a teenage goalie.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    In my experience prospect goalies have done surprisingly well on the trade market, especially when a team does into rebuild mode and is selling off their big fish. They usually want to have their "goalie of the future" sorted out. That said I'd still have a hard time drafting a teenage goalie.
    Yup... Over the past two years I have traded Samsonov, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Demko (away and back), Georgiev (away and back), Husso, -- in one league alone.

I've offered them up when close on deals to push them over the top.
    I just added Woll, Kahkonen is available as is Tarasov. I mean.. G prospects seem endless at times.
    Not to mention Binnington was a UFA until his 4th NHL Win last year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think you have to take the deal, unless you absolutely cannot live with yourself in missing your guy at that spot.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Icon

I would definitely trade away pick 13 for picks 17 and 33. That's a very easy decision for me.

I would also stay clear of wasting a draft pick on any 18 year old goalie. He's at least 2 full seasons (and likely more) from playing a game in the NHL.