Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Elvis- wheres the hype!!!

The Great One

Default Re: Elvis- wheres the hype!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Money. This guy fully believes in himself and if things go his way he will get paid next year. From Jarmo's perspective Elvis ends this contract remaining a RFA.
    yeah, could be...probably is that, tbh.

Though it also gives him the option to go back to Europe if not given a role in the NHL. It is all speculation at this point. We will know more once the Summer is over. Definitely an interesting situation in Columbus...Bobrovsky and Panarin leaving...the team will have money to spend (will they grab a veteran goalie, like Quick), Davidson just left...hard to know what will happen with this team. If I'm Merzlikins, I'd want a one-year deal too so I can see how it all shakes out and only sign a long-term deal if I like what I see.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    This is very plausible...though I personally wonder why he signed a one-year deal. This made me think that if he isn't playing in the NHL, he might go back to Europe (if not immediately, then certainly in the following off-season).
    It's a one-way deal from what I understand so he will be earning close to 900k in the AHL or NHL. So from that perspective he's not losing a bunch of money (unlike most Euro prospects) if he spends a bit of time in the minors to work on the transition to North America.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I've seen him play regularly in the Swiss league and have also tracked him somewhat in his games for Latvia (he's Latvian but has lived in Switzerland and gone through the junior ranks here..). He is a special player and I'm really high on him. Our league isn't the NHL, but his squad (HC Lugano) wasn't the most responsible one defensively and he still had very respectable stats over the years. Same can be said for Latvia I guess.
    I completely agree on the goalie prospects are voodoo statement though, but still think both his talent and opportunity are better than in most other cases.
    thanks for your opinion , it's good to hear from someone who has seen him play and feel's he has the same upside as i do. I own Korpisalo as well as Merzlikins in the same league but just don't feel Korpi is a #1 although Torts has spoken favorably on Korpisalo.
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Initiate

[QUOTE=Dennis;1977662]There has been plenty of hype but thankfully this board has been refreshingly restrained on the matter. Sometimes it seems like I'm alone when I'm looking through twitter or the Athletic's comment section on this one but I'm not drinking the Elvis Kool-Aid quite yet.

The best case scenario for him is likely Jarmo going into the season with Elvis and Korpisalo competing, both under 1 year, 1-way deals and hoping one of them breaks through. I think that's probably not going to happen though, I can't see any GM going into a season with a $70M payroll being propped up by the hope a rookie goalie without experience in North America is as ready as he likes to think he is and I also can't get a good grasp on what Jarmo acually thinks of Korpi, he has talked him up a bit lately but that could just be blowing smoke/covering his ass if Jarmo can't land an experienced goalie this summer. On the plus side, if they go with Korpisalo/Elvis they'll have the cheapest goalie tandem in the league and could make good use of that cap space. IF they do go with that combo, Korpisalo needs a bit more love. Korpi has never had a losing record in 4 years (8-8-1 was his worst), he's 25 (2 weeks younger than Elvis actually), and, low bar, he's 5th on the franchise wins list. Tortorella has openly talked about "mind-****ing" with rookies and I'd guess he'd give the net to Korpi to lose as things stand now.

Worst case scenario is the Quick to Columbus rumours pan out and Quick stays healthy blocking Elvis.

My guess is something inbetween those 2 scenarios happens. Korpisalo is traded for whatever draft pick Jarmo can get, Mrazek, Varlamov, Elliott, or Smith signs to be the starter in the meantime easing Elvis into where he wants to be and then it's up to him to step up when he gets the chance.[/Q

you make some good points here to think about , it will be interesting to see how this develops.
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Deity

Either way, Elvis hasn't earned NHL hype yet IMO.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."