Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elvis- wheres the hype!!!

The Great One

Default Elvis- wheres the hype!!!

I know Bob hasnt quite left yeat and Tarasov has that "swing for the fences" upside- but why arent more people hyped about this signing? I actually really, really, doubt GMJK goes out and signs a big name UFA- hes been public in his praise for this guy!. hes also not your typical "prospect" at 25- dudes a rockstar! I know goalies are voodoo- blah, blah, blah- but dont miss out on the next big thing in net- hes been hyped for awhile by people in the know and hes got a legit breakout chance here...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Elvis- wheres the hype!!!

Not an expert by any means, but you don't just throw a goalie into the NHL thinking he's going to live up to the hype and breakout. He's a solid prospect but the "goalies are voodoo" argument is quite valid. Lots of players have been hyped by those in the know and many have crashed and burned.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Because frankly, tabloids are still hyping the other Elvis and his offspring, and there's only so much Elvis hype to go around.

Seriously, he's on a dynasty team I took over, and I'm hoping he gets to be a tandem guy this year. I don't hope for more than that from prospects in the short term, that way disappointment stays low.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Guru

I'd temper expectations in year one. Lots to adjust to coming from overseas--and more so as a goalie I'd think.
    Definitely worth a look in leagues where goalies are sparse though.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Initiate

I own him in one league and i have a good feeling about his upside , he obviously is gonna get his chance with Bob gone. Over at the Athletic today an article quoted GMJK as saying he is comfortable rolling with Merzlikins and Korpisalo as a 1-2 in goal if nothing else happens.
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Deity

I searched him on the forums. There's hype. You just have to look for it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I'm all shook up over the news

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've seen him play regularly in the Swiss league and have also tracked him somewhat in his games for Latvia (he's Latvian but has lived in Switzerland and gone through the junior ranks here..). He is a special player and I'm really high on him. Our league isn't the NHL, but his squad (HC Lugano) wasn't the most responsible one defensively and he still had very respectable stats over the years. Same can be said for Latvia I guess.
    I completely agree on the goalie prospects are voodoo statement though, but still think both his talent and opportunity are better than in most other cases.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Jedi

really should be traded to Nashville for Saros
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

There has been plenty of hype but thankfully this board has been refreshingly restrained on the matter. Sometimes it seems like I'm alone when I'm looking through twitter or the Athletic's comment section on this one but I'm not drinking the Elvis Kool-Aid quite yet.

The best case scenario for him is likely Jarmo going into the season with Elvis and Korpisalo competing, both under 1 year, 1-way deals and hoping one of them breaks through. I think that's probably not going to happen though, I can't see any GM going into a season with a $70M payroll being propped up by the hope a rookie goalie without experience in North America is as ready as he likes to think he is and I also can't get a good grasp on what Jarmo acually thinks of Korpi, he has talked him up a bit lately but that could just be blowing smoke/covering his ass if Jarmo can't land an experienced goalie this summer. On the plus side, if they go with Korpisalo/Elvis they'll have the cheapest goalie tandem in the league and could make good use of that cap space. IF they do go with that combo, Korpisalo needs a bit more love. Korpi has never had a losing record in 4 years (8-8-1 was his worst), he's 25 (2 weeks younger than Elvis actually), and, low bar, he's 5th on the franchise wins list. Tortorella has openly talked about "mind-****ing" with rookies and I'd guess he'd give the net to Korpi to lose as things stand now.

Worst case scenario is the Quick to Columbus rumours pan out and Quick stays healthy blocking Elvis.

My guess is something inbetween those 2 scenarios happens. Korpisalo is traded for whatever draft pick Jarmo can get, Mrazek, Varlamov, Elliott, or Smith signs to be the starter in the meantime easing Elvis into where he wants to be and then it's up to him to step up when he gets the chance.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    I own him in one league and i have a good feeling about his upside , he obviously is gonna get his chance with Bob gone. Over at the Athletic today an article quoted GMJK as saying he is comfortable rolling with Merzlikins and Korpisalo as a 1-2 in goal if nothing else happens.
    Y'all should get a subscription but I just wanted to share the quotes from Jarmo

“We have a goalie (Merzlikins) who a lot of people think is the best goalie outside the NHL,” Kekalainen said. “We have a goalie (Korpisalo) who, for good stretches when Bobrovsky’s been hurt, has carried the load with good performances. He’s been our No. 2 goalie for the last couple of years. He’s going to get an opportunity to play more now.

“It’s going to be a competition between those two unless something else happens. And if that’s what we have for our two goalies at the start of the training camp, we’re totally fine with it.”

“The Bobrovskys and (Tuukka) Rasks … they were all in the same position as Korpisalo and went on to prove they could be a No. 1 and become elite,” Kekalainen said. “The Carey Prices of the world, the Martin Brodeurs of the world — the guys who go right in as No. 1s — those are very, very, very rare. Everybody else has been a No. 2 before they became a No. 1.

“It’s probably one of the hardest jobs in the whole league, being a No. 2 behind a guy who can play 60 games. You’re not playing for two weeks, and when you do come in, you’re playing the second half of a back-to-back with a tired team in front of you. That’s not an easy job. It’s a hard job.”

Administrator

I think Columbus signs someone like Smith or Varlamov to split duties with Korpisalo. It makes too much sense to start Merzlikins in the minors when he has two years of exemption from waivers. When the inevitable injury happens to whichever vet they sign, Merzlikins will get his first chance to show what he can do in the NHL.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I think Columbus signs someone like Smith or Varlamov to split duties with Korpisalo. It makes too much sense to start Merzlikins in the minors when he has two years of exemption from waivers. When the inevitable injury happens to whichever vet they sign, Merzlikins will get his first chance to show what he can do in the NHL.

He hasn't even shown he can do it in the minors (AHL) yet, let alone in the NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This is very plausible...though I personally wonder why he signed a one-year deal. This made me think that if he isn't playing in the NHL, he might go back to Europe (if not immediately, then certainly in the following off-season).

Anyway, we will know more after the Summer and into the pre-season. If Columbus does sign another veteran goalie, then I won't get too excited about Merzlikins. If it comes down to him vs Koprisalo going into the regular season next year, then I will be looking to draft Merzlikins in as many leagues as possible.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    This is very plausible...though I personally wonder why he signed a one-year deal. This made me think that if he isn't playing in the NHL, he might go back to Europe (if not immediately, then certainly in the following off-season).

Anyway, we will know more after the Summer and into the pre-season. If Columbus does sign another veteran goalie, then I won't get too excited about Merzlikins. If it comes down to him vs Koprisalo going into the regular season next year, then I will be looking to draft Merzlikins in as many leagues as possible.
    Money. This guy fully believes in himself and if things go his way he will get paid next year. From Jarmo's perspective Elvis ends this contract remaining a RFA.