Thread: Which of these young studs going forward?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Which of these young studs going forward?

I'm posting ahead of the RFA contract negotiations, so I know this is an hurdle to my question BUT

In a cap league (league #1 in sig. using real NHL cap hit) I must choose my last keeper between an internal option or one acquired by trade. I don't expect to contend next year because I traded away all my picks for next year up until the last three rounds of the draft, so I can afford to make a bid now for the player with the best upside and contract situation in two years.

My own internal options (my projections in parentheses):
    Meier (6-6.5M x 6 yrs)
    Werenski (7M x 6 yrs)
    Stone - I know, not a young one but he's productive (9,5M)

Trade options
    Laine (7M x 5 years), probable cost of 2nd / 3rd round in 2020
    A. Svechnikov, probably won't cost much but I question his upside in 2 years.
    Keller (RFA coming up in 2 years, I project 7M x 6 years)

My favorite option is Meier but Stone probably holds the most trade value (I would trade him in season next year). I won't be able to redraft any of those unfortunately.
    Rep where I can, thanks for the input!
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Which of these young studs going forward?

Stone at 9.5 doesn't hold a tonne of value, especially in a shallow league such as yours. I'd much rather take Meier at EST 3m less.

As for trade options. Keller's a RFA now.
    Svech on an ELC for 2yrs IF you could get him cheap would be a smart acquisition.
    Would Laine provide a significant upgrade over Meier currently for an extra mil?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

What are your categories? Depending on those I may much rather Meier over Barrie.
    I would also consider shopping Tavares. If you don't have draft picks, the quickest way to pick up assets is to weaponize cap space. If you don't have cap space or draft picks, you'll stew in the bottom half for a while.

Stone and Meier are my favourites of your internal list. Externally, what would Svech cost? I would really be honing in on him if it's reasonable. Also are your salaries cap-hit, or AAV?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Just noticed it's points only, but still H2H. Barrie is solid then. I would still see what the market is for Tavares.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yes sorry its pts only! And we use Cap Hit over annual salaries.

Thanks for the input so far. I also like Svechnikov I just worry that he won't get to 70pts for a while while Meier could realistically get there soon. I also agree with the idea of trading Tavares, I have yet to find a suitor though. The most realistical option might be a one for one with a first round pick, but to be honest the interest has been lukewarm so far.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Titan

If you can trade Tavares for a first, keep Meier and Svech, I think you'll be better off. I do like the 60pts from Svech at his cost compared to 70 from Meier at his cost though.