Thread: Top 5 Album Covers

Big Daddy

Default Top 5 Album Covers

Inspired by the 5 Album Challenge posted back in the dead of winter: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...lbum-challenge
    I've decided to create the best album covers of all-time. Simply just post the imagine of your 5 favourite album covers or if you want to share a song from that record you can post the youtube clip as I chose to do.

So here are my favourite album cover of all-time....

1. Faith No More - Angel Dust

There is something about this cover that I just absolutely love. I remember being a kid and seeing this album cover and barely knowing who Faith No More were but just loving the image. It actually has a really cool back story to the image and the title. For those who know Faith No more or Angel Dust for that matter, will know the various mixed genres involved and their distinct sound. I once read an interview with drummer Mike Borden where he explains the meaning behind it all. The record itself has some very beautiful mellow piano parts in it while other songs are very metal driven and are just plane brutal. He said they wanted that emphasized by the cover and title. So the cover is a beautiful image of a swan while the back cover is chopped up cows hanging in a butcher ship. Same with the title, Angel Dust sounds so nice yet it is a terrible drug that will destroy you. that always stuck with me.

2. Opeth - Sorceress

I swear I don't have an exotic bird fetish. This cover just sticks out to me much more than any of the others. Again, much like the Faith No More - Angel Dust theme, a beautiful Peacock spreading it's feathers while standing atop a pile of skulls and corpses.

3. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Not much to say about this one. I'm sure a lot of people won't agree that it is one of the best but there is something about it that I adore. Maybe it's the colours or just the weirdness in general? I'm not sure. Never looked up the meaning behind if there is at all.

4. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I'm sure this one will be on a lot of lists posted in this thread and all over the internet. Not a whole lot to say about this one either, a truly iconic image. I can easily have this at number one.

5. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

C'mon! This was back in the days before photoshop! The story goes that the man being punched was either a fan or just a random off the street. Paid $10 per punch and took 30+ before they got the right shot. Unreal. For this one I decided to share a link with the backing story plus a youtibe song video.

https://loudwire.com/pantera-vulgar-...myth-debunked/
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Top 5 Album Covers

I feel like any discussion of album covers needs to include Iron Maiden

Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Big Daddy

Absolutely lucafen! That isn’t even their best cover art in my opinion and it’s incredible.

Dobber Sports Master

Dobber Sports Star

Dobber Sports Deity

Favorite album covers? Man, that's tough because I don't usually pay much attention to the covers as I do the music on the albums. From the ones I have owned, these are my favorite I'd say. I have to admit, my music taste is all over the place and I am not a young guy either LOL

41yPceG-JUL__SX355_.jpg

il_570xN_1356484790_619m.jpg

images.jpg

Princepurplerain.jpg

lglp0597+abbey-road-album-cover-the-beatles-poster.jpg
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Great topic! lucafen is right though, Maiden takes the cake on this. My personal favorites are The Trooper

And Killers:

London Calling by the Clash has to be right up there too

Love the simplicity of Nevermind the Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols, it really embodies what the band is all about

Definitely a big fan of RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic cover too:

Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon takes it for me. What an album cover.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Great idea for a thread!

R-385521-1355800400-4408.jpeg.jpg
    Bolt Thrower - Honour Valour Pride (2001) by Jan Meininghaus
    There are two things that people think of when they think about Bolt Thrower -- songs about war, and awesome album covers. Back when I was in college, one of my many part time jobs was working at Saint Cinnamon making cinnamon buns all day long. The owners (a pair of hilarious Russian ladies) gave me a gift card to Sunrise Music for Christmas the one year. After my shift that day, I walked into Sunrise and picked up this CD. I had to get it. It just looked so cool. It's not Bolt Thrower's best, but it's not bad -- what am I saying? There is no bad Bolt Thrower. It's the only BT record to not feature Karl Willetts on vocals, so it often gets left out of the conversation but the cover illustrates their music so well.

220px-Metallica_-_Jump_in_the_Fire_cover.jpg
    Metallica - Jump in the Fire (1984) by Les Edwards
    Despite them being one of my favourite bands, I've never thought Metallica had the coolest album covers -- except this one. It's for the single "Jump in the Fire" off their debut album Kill 'Em All. The demented demon engulfed in flames just illustrates what the band were all about back then, and even if it's not one of my favourite Metallica songs, it goes along with the music pretty well.

Sepultura_-_Arise_1991.jpg
    Sepultura - Arise (1991) by Michael Whelan
    What the hell is it? I don't know but it sure looks twisted and cool. Michael Whelan contributed a lot of great cover illustrations to the metal genre -- be sure to check them out if you think this one's cool. Also one of the great thrash albums of the late 80's/early 90's as the genre was starting to fizzle.

R-1947518-1357637379-9032.jpeg.jpg
    Kublai Khan - Annihilation (1987) by Dan Kalal
    This album sucks. But man, doesn't it have some bad ass cover art? That dude just looks like he's going to mess you right up. This record is notable for one other thing -- it's the lone album from a guy named Greg Handevidt, who was also a very early member of Megadeth.

R-602176-1419082551-1854.jpeg.jpg
    Deathrow - Riders of Doom (1986) by Phil Lawvere
    Another mid-80's thrash album that's not great, I've always thought Riders of Doom was a pretty cool piece of art. Even though the horses' legs look kind of weird in spots, the overall feel and perspective of the art is really immediate and aggressive.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Genius

70's and 80's hard rock/metal always seemed to strive for killer album covers and Iron Maiden were probably the best at getting it done and BSSM by RHCP is killer too.

One of my favourites hands down though is this one
    h1xt4.jpg

London Calling by The Clash is awesome... Never realized the lettering was copying this though...
    elvis-presley-elvis-presley-album-covers-billboard-1000x1000.jpg

This one is also brilliant for its simplicity while being destructive and tying into the bands name.
    led-zeppelin-1-ticket-giveaway-orlando-classic-albums-live-cover-band-560x350.jpg

No introduction needed, straight up blue collar rock and roll.
    bde3bd52bc07591e0336051e39c1530f.jpg

And here, simple, memorable, and influential. Also, I hate bananas but can dig this.
    mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Icon

12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

Sorry, I logged on thinking this was the thread about Anal Bum Cover...

Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Star