Thread: *Challenge* Create Your Best Playoff Roster Going Forward

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default *Challenge* Create Your Best Playoff Roster Going Forward

Hey Guys, just a little challenge to create the best possible playoff roster from the 8 teams that were competing in the 2nd round. Like the NHL, you can't just pick an All-Star team. Winning teams are built with a fine balance of youth and experience/talent and toughness.

Only 5 rules:

Can only use players from the teams competing in the 2nd round (DAL/STL, SJ/COL, CBJ/BOS, CAR/NYI)
    Must have a minimum of one player from each of the 8 teams on your 23 player roster
    23 players (4 forward lines, 6 defense, 3 spare skaters, 2 goalies)
    Must stay within $79.5M cap using Cap Friendly cap hits
    Must use players positions according to Cap Friendly (might as well keep it on one website) for your 4 lines (3 spare skaters can be any position)

Logan Couture (SJ-6M) - Nathan MacKinnon (COL-6.3M) - Mikko Rantanen (COL-894,167) - Like the idea of keeping MacKinnon/Rantanen together and adding playoff stud Couture to the line
    Brad Marchand (BOS-6.125M) - Patrice Bergeron (BOS-6.875M) - Timo Meier (SJ-894,167) - Keep Marchand and Bergeron together and add young talent on the right side
    Pierre-Luc Dubois (CBJ-894,166) - Ryan O'Reilly (STL-7.5M) - Robert Thomas (STL-894,166) - This could be my favourite line. O'Reilly is a stud, youngsters PLD and RT are showing glimpses of what the future looks like
    Jake DeBrusk (BOS-863,333) - Boone Jenner (CBJ-3.75M) - Josh Anderson (CBJ-1.85M) - I can't imagine a better 4th line. A lot of hitting with some decent skill. Playoff gold.

Brent Burns (SJ-8.0M) - Erik Karlsson (SJ-6.5M) - Game breaking ability x 2
    Seth Jones (CBJ-5.4M) - Zach Werenski (CBJ-925K) - Played together most of season and playoffs. Dominant
    Charlie McAvoy (BOS-916,667) - John Klingberg (DAL-4.25M) - Wanted Slavin (instead of Klingberg) in part for the PK, but couldn't work the salary cap. Still, not a bad third pairing

Spare Skaters - D-Miro Heiskanen (DAL-894,166), C-Mathew Barzal (NYI-863,333), LW-Warren Foegele (CAR-746,667) - Talented young players in Heiskanen and Barzal and Foegele has played very well in a limited role, stepped up when opportunity arose

Tuukka Rask (BOS-7.0M) - I've never seen Rask so dominant as he's been in these playoffs. Just gives the team so much confidence
    Jordan Binnington (STL-650K) - Hard to argue the bang for buck here

Think you can come up with a better playoff "team"? Let's see it.

Total Cap Hit: $78,985,832 (Max $79.5M)
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: *Challenge* Create Your Best Playoff Roster Going Forward

Changes I would make to yours (since you did a very solid job).
    Bishop in for Rask (better value for a similarly dialed in goalie.
    Slavin over Klingberg (with the cap savings from the goalie swap)
    Heiskanen in the lineup with Slavin over McAvoy (Just a better player).
    Landeskog in for ROR (cap savings, keep the COL line together, and I think Landy is better)
    Kuraly in for Jenner (cap and similar player)
    Pasta in for DeBrusk just because I can with the cap savings

So the lineup becomes:
    Forwards ($44,239,761):
    Landeskog-MacK-Rantanen
    Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
    Dubois-Couture-Meier
    Thomas-Kuraly(or swap in Barzal depending on the matchup you want)-Anderson

Defence ($27,019,166)
    Burns-Karlsson
    Jones-Werenski
    Slavin-Heiskanen

Goalies ($5,566,666)
    Bishop
    Binnington

Spares ($2,526,667)
    Barzal, McAvoy, Foegele

Cap: $79,352,260
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

There were so many options I thought of - Bishop was definitely one. Wouldn't disagree too hard with Bishop/Slavin for Rask/Klingberg.

No way Landeskog is better than ROR...at least in my opinion...that said, I haven't watched as many Avs games over the last couple of seasons.

Thought hard on Kuraly, but Jenner was playing so well that I just had to keep Booooooone! Yeah, Pasta for DeBrusk is a sweet upgrade!

Would have given you Rep, but apparently I have to spread some love around first! Thanks for your post.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Fun to debate back and forth. We're each going to think our way was better, but that's the fun. Thanks for putting the initial thought into it!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)