Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Draft Class, Top 12

Dobber Sports Sage

Default 2019 Draft Class, Top 12

OK, the U18 is over. Only the Memorial Cup left for prospect evaluation. People must be starting to really solidify on their top 12 fantasy players out of this year's draft class.

Let's see where you all stand. Give me your current top 12. Multi-category scoring.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: 2019 Draft Class, Top 12

I still need to flesh out my list with some more research but at the moment I have something like

1. Hughes
    2. Kakko
    3. Podkolzin
    4. Turcotte
    5. Krebs
    6. Byram
    7. Cozens
    8. Dach
    9. Zegras
    10. Caufield
    11. Newhook
    12. Kaliyev

Matt Boldy and Bobby Brink are 2 guys I need to look more into and they could jump in there (I draft at 10 in the league in my signature.) 6-12 are pretty interchangeable for me so far.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I still need to flesh out my list with some more research but at the moment I have something like

1. Hughes
    2. Kakko
    3. Podkolzin
    4. Turcotte
    5. Krebs
    6. Byram
    7. Cozens
    8. Dach
    9. Zegras
    10. Caufield
    11. Newhook
    12. Kaliyev

Matt Boldy and Bobby Brink are 2 guys I need to look more into and they could jump in there (I draft at 10 in the league in my signature.) 6-12 are pretty interchangeable for me so far.
    That's pretty similar to my top 12 as well. Not sure I'm taking the risk with Podkolzin at 3 though. I think he has the tools to be an excellent player, but he seems to me like a slightly higher rated Kostin. Talented bulldog of a Russian player that we just maybe haven't gotten the full scouting picture on yet, and may take longer to develop than we anticipate.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

I have been trying to figure out what's hype and what's the actual potential of the USNTDP players after Hughes. Here's what I understand:

1. The team is very deep, so Zegras, who is a center, normally plays on Hughes' wing with Caufield on the other side. This leaves Turcotte to center the second line which has feasted on opponents' weaker lines (as the Hughes line draws the tougher assignments).
    2. A lot of their production has come against USHL competition, which, I understand, has been diluted by the recent expansion of the league from 14 to 17 teams.
    3. USNTDP team largely consists of players who have played with each other for years, so familiarity with each other and the team's systems maximizes their production. They play against tournament teams who consist of players who may or may not be as familiar with each other and the teams' systems.
    4. The team is also consistently intact (except for Turcotte's injuries this year), meaning that the stacked team is available for league and tournament games. Contrast this with Canada's U18 squad, for example, who were missing key pieces such as Dach (injured) and Byram (WHL playoffs), among others.

I'm not saying that the USNTDP players don't deserve their lofty status, but these factors do give me pause when I try to determine my own rankings going into the draft. Can you compare players who for years have played on what essentially is an all-star team against, for example, CHL players who play on normal teams with varying quality of talent and coaching?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I have been trying to figure out what's hype and what's the actual potential of the USNTDP players after Hughes. Here's what I understand:

1. The team is very deep, so Zegras, who is a center, normally plays on Hughes' wing with Caufield on the other side. This leaves Turcotte to center the second line which has feasted on opponents' weaker lines (as the Hughes line draws the tougher assignments).
    2. A lot of their production has come against USHL competition, which, I understand, has been diluted by the recent expansion of the league from 14 to 17 teams.
    3. USNTDP team largely consists of players who have played with each other for years, so familiarity with each other and the team's systems maximizes their production. They play against tournament teams who consist of players who may or may not be as familiar with each other and the teams' systems.
    4. The team is also consistently intact (except for Turcotte's injuries this year), meaning that the stacked team is available for league and tournament games. Contrast this with Canada's U18 squad, for example, who were missing key pieces such as Dach (injured) and Byram (WHL playoffs), among others.

I'm not saying that the USNTDP players don't deserve their lofty status, but these factors do give me pause when I try to determine my own rankings going into the draft. Can you compare players who for years have played on what essentially is an all-star team against, for example, CHL players who play on normal teams with varying quality of talent and coaching?
    I agree. I wonder how much of a factor having the stacked team has overblown some of the secondary players for The Program. We knows Hughes is incredible, and he makes everyone around him better. But with so many of the players feasting off of his playmaking what do they do when they are being centered by less talented pivots when they reach the NHL? Turcotte is one that is climbing the lists lately, but hard to get a true read on.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I agree. I wonder how much of a factor having the stacked team has overblown some of the secondary players for The Program. We knows Hughes is incredible, and he makes everyone around him better. But with so many of the players feasting off of his playmaking what do they do when they are being centered by less talented pivots when they reach the NHL? Turcotte is one that is climbing the lists lately, but hard to get a true read on.
    Their production did not suffer when Hughes was out earlier in the year. Including Caufield - who arguably benefits the most.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

A month until draft day, anyone else care to share their list? Want to just critisize mine?

Hughes v. Kakko?
    Am I too high on Podkolzin?
    I'm sure one of you has Caufield at 3. Who is it?

Dobber Sports Titan

I won't share my list as I still have prospect drafts with guys on these forums picking ahead/behind me, but I will at least answer your questions.

I want to pick Kakko first, but I think if I had the first pick in any league I would go Hughes.

Podkolzin and Caufield I have both between 6 and 10.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    A month until draft day, anyone else care to share their list? Want to just critisize mine?

Hughes v. Kakko?
    Am I too high on Podkolzin?
    I'm sure one of you has Caufield at 3. Who is it?
    Your list is not bad at all. I have taken Podkolzin and Newhook off my top 12. I dont have enough data to draft either that high. I will let someone else who thinks they know make those picks.

I have Caufield around #10. Definitely a guy I like after the big Cs are off the board. Then we will see a run of wingers between 8 and 15, then the run on European Ds will start.

I have traded for 5 of the top 15 picks in my entry draft. Really like this draft class overall. One of the best in years. Making a huge investment.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wont lie, in my main league which has many Dobberites in it, I am also picking 12th. Normally I don't like picking around that time but this year could be different. I think I am still going to get a very good player around that spot. I have no idea who it will be, but it should be a solid player. I know in that league, Dmen tend to slip so I'd have no issues selecing Byram if he falls to me at that point but I will be surprised if he does.

Like EB (whos in that league I just mentioned), I wont share my ranked list but I wont be surprised if Podkolzin is still around for you at 12 but that depends on how the actual draft goes. If he goes before that in the actual draft, he probably will go earlier in fantasy drafts too. If he slips (which wont surprise me) in the actual draft, expect the same in fantasy drafts.

This draft has some really good guys that will be there around 12. Be it Krebs, Newhook, Dach, Kaliyev, Suzuki (this is not a ranking by the way ), you should still be getting a very good player to be patient with.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Can't offer much of a list but I know if I'm picking 5th this year, I'm taking Caufield. Probably crazy of me but I really like what I'm hearing about him.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Sage

Pronman has Caufield #5 on his newest list on The Athletic. So its not crazy at all. The dude scores goals, dont need a PhD in analytical mathematics to figure that out.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'll bite:

1) Hughes
    2) Kakko
    3) Turcotte
    4) Byram
    5) Cozens
    6) Dach
    7) Zegras
    8) Caufield
    9) Boldy
    10) Podkolzin
    11) Krebs
    12) Newhook (Biggest riser for me)
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have the 3rd ov in my league and have had a tough time deciding what I want to do with it.

My current rankings look like;

1 - Hughes
    2 - Kakko
    3 - Zegras
    4 - Caufield
    5 - Podkolzin
    6 - Dach
    7 - Byram
    8 - Turcotte
    9 - Boldy
    10 - Cozens
    11 - Krebs
    12 - Kaliev

With the 3rd I'm torn between Zegras Caufield and Podkolzin.. it could change in a month. I'm a multicat I like Podkolzin. I feel like all 3 will take 2 seasons to be ready (Pod because of his contract). Zegras may have a shot at playing in the NHL (barring a lockout) after 1 season in college if he plays wing.

I like Turcotte and Byram but I rank them lower because I wouldn't take a dman in the top 6 unless it was a Dahlin type. Turcotte seems like a solid all around player, but less offensive upside because of his good defensive game. Maybe a Couturier type where it takes quite a few years to realize his offensive potential at the next level.

When drafting I try to go, not for the safe pick, a la Turcotte, but the guy who has the highest offensive upside. I was all in on Podkolzin for a long time.. but it's hard to ignore the red flags that have come up with him. If he goes to Detroit I would feel better about his development being handled properly, but if he ends up in a Minnesota I'd be reluctant to consider him in the top 8.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My top 12 would probably go:

1. Hughes
    2. Kakko
    3. Turcotte
    4. Zegras
    5. Byram
    6. Dach
    7. Cozens
    8. Caufield
    9. Podkolzin
    10. Boldy
    11. Krebs
    12. Newhook

And you didn't ask, but I'd put Harley as my 13. Think he's the second best fantasy defenseman.
    12 Team Keeper League, 28 Player Roster

G, A, PTS, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG, PPA, HT, GHHT
    W, GA, SV, SHO

C: Barkov, Barzal, Dubois, Point
    LW: Fiala, Guentzel, Huberdeau, Svechnikov
    RW: Ehlers, Kyrou,​S. Reinhart, Tomasino
    D: Bouchard, Ekblad, Makar, R. Merkley, Rielly, Theodore
    Bench: K. Johnson, Harley
    Minors: Johnston, McTavish, Clarke
    G: Saros, Thompson