Thread: 9th Year Dynasty League Seeks 1 Replacement

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default 9th Year Dynasty League Seeks 1 Replacement

Hello, all.

I've got a 20 team H2H dynasty league held on Fantrax with one open spot currently available. We require a seasonal entry fee of $30CAD - the entrity of which is paid back out for various achievements during the season - and hold our annual prospect draft in mid June, typically the weekend before the actual NHL draft so if you like to scout prospects then you'll love what we offer.

As mentioned we're a 20 team league going into our 9th season this fall, with about half of the original members still in place from our inaugural season in 2011-12. We pattern the vast majority of our rules off real NHL rules, so you'll find things such as a 23 player active pro roster (3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 1Skater, 1G and 6 bench) with a 33 player farm system. Waiver eligibility criteria for promoting/demoting players between your pro and minor league rosters, along with an annual prospect draft in the summer consisting of 5 rounds. We have an extensive rule book, formatted into a highly organized and detailed league constitution. The constitution is updated every summer to include any changes/improvements collectively decided upon at our annual GM meeting, which takes place the week after the NHL trade deadline. We use the GM meeting primarily to get everyone in one place at the same time to discuss issues and changes needed but also to provide a venue to jump start trade talks for our trade deadline, which happens a few days later.

We utilize 12 statistics for our weekly matchups, which include;

Goals, assists, points, special teams points, takeways, hits, blocks and shorthanded time-on-ice for skaters.
    Wins, goals against average, saves and save percentage for goalies.

We have 12 of 20 teams making the playoffs each season and we use real life salary figures - not cap hits - with our salary cap being tied to the NHL in that we usually we take the NHL salary cap plus a 15% surplus. For the 2018-19 season we sat at $91.4 and with the NHL predicting an $83M cap next season, we will likely be in the $93-95M range. The team in question has a current salary cap of $90.5M so it is quite close to the cap ceiling however it finished 10th place out of the 20 teams this past season, being ousted in the 1st round of our playoffs this year, after losing in the 2nd round last season to the same team. The current manager has decided quite literally to retire from fantasy hockey, ending his tenure with us and as such he had taken an “all in” approach, leveraging the future for current success. As such the team has no draft picks available for the next two drafts, however if a full rebuild were desired you’ll find it has several decent pieces to begin that process but a few shrewd moves could position this team well for continued current success.

Below is the full team:

Lars Eller
    Luke Glendening
    Leo Komarov
    Michael Grabner
    Ondrej Palat
    Jeff Skinner
    Nick Foligno
    Travis Konecny
    Tomas Tatar
    Andy Greene
    Radko Gudas
    Josh Manson
    Jaccob Slavin
    Ryan Suter
    Christopher Tanev
    Cedric Paquette
    Pierre-Edouard Bellemare
    Blake Comeau
    Craig Smith
    Conor Garland
    Michael Eyssimont
    Brendan Gaunce
    Zack MacEwen
    Antoine Morand
    Matthew Peca
    Ryan Spooner
    Joe Thornton
    Dominic Turgeon
    Brady Ferguson
    Nikolay Prokhorkin
    Tim Schaller
    Austin Watson
    Christoffer Ehn
    Tobias Lindberg
    Kirill Maksimov
    Buddy Robinson
    Nikita Soshnikov
    Anthony Bitetto
    Travis Hamonic
    Dillon Heatherington
    Brad Hunt
    Christian Jaros
    Jordan Oesterle
    Darren Raddysh
    Antti Raanta
    Brian Elliott
    Cam Talbot
    Igor Bobkov
    Laurent Brossoit
    Casey DeSmith
    Marek Langhamer
    Griffen Outhouse
    Edward Pasquale
    Karel Vejmelka

The league is ultimately managed by myself with assistance from a Co-Commissioner but it is more of a collaborative effort among all managers, with everyone getting an opportunity to have their say. It's cliche to say but genuinely you get out of the league what you put in. If you're looking for a highly competitive, armchair GM type fantasy league with close ties to the real NHL then you've come to the right place. If you're a casual fan who likes to put in an hour or two on weekends then you'll be well outside your element and unable to keep up, so please consider truly what you're looking for and more importantly, are able to commit.

I haven't included all the details about the league here because it would be a very long post if I did, but if you like what you've read and are interested in joining us, please contact [email protected].

We are not a first come, first serve league. As such upon receiving your application you'll be asked to respond to a questionnaire consisting of 10 questions that is designed to help us identify who would be the best fit for our league. We've been using it since league inception and it has resulted in a very good group of managers, so bare with us and just know the whole process is to ensure the success and longevity of the league.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: 9th Year Dynasty League Seeks 1 Replacement

I highly recommend this league. It is without question the best set up, best-run league I have ever been a part of. It's full of highly knowledgeable and competitive owners, the commissioners are 'with it', and the rules and cats are well-conceived. Aside from the terrific owners, my favorite features include drafting a week ahead of the NHL, so it adds another layer of interest; players can be released without buyouts so you won't get saddled with a team weighed down by zombie contracts; and, no +/- cat.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I highly recommend this league. It is without question the best set up, best-run league I have ever been a part of. It's full of highly knowledgeable and competitive owners, the commissioners are 'with it', and the rules and cats are well-conceived. Aside from the terrific owners, my favorite features include drafting a week ahead of the NHL, so it adds another layer of interest; players can be released without buyouts so you won't get saddled with a team weighed down by zombie contracts; and, no +/- cat.
    I agree with all of this. This is by far my favorite league, mostly because of the reasons listed here. It's a deep league with smart GMs and great commissioners.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would like to add that this was my team last season and I have had to leave this season due to some health concerns and I won't be able to give my team the devotion it deserves. I want to ensure any interested parties that this is far and away the best league I have ever been associated with and I've been playing fantasy hockey for over 30 years so leaving this league was not an easy decision for me.

You may also look at the roster and think "blah!!!",lol. But when you look at the cats in this league, you have 4 cats that are based offense stats, 4 cats based on defence cats and 4 goalie cats. My team was a fringe playoff team at the time I took it on with little in the way of young talent or many draft picks so getting players that "may" become stars down the road would be a long process. My options when I took over the team a few years ago were a) chase the offence through the draft, or b) chase the d-cats and upgrade my goaltending if possible. Being H2H, it doesn't matter how you take 7 of 12 cats and the defence first players get no respect in most leagues so that seemed to be the quickest build to be competitive. Anyways, I've made the playoffs the past couple of seasons and only lost to the eventual champions the past two season so the team is there to be competitive, you just need to look beyond the offence.

Good luck to whoever takes on this team and you won't find a better league.
    14 team H2H Dynasty: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench

G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, PPP, HITS, BLK,
    W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, Sv%, SO

Center: Kuznetzov, Johansen, Glass(RW), Hayton
    LW: T. Johnson(C/RW), Gurianov(RW), Labanc(RW), Zucker(RW),
    RW: Kucherov, Vorocek, Atkinson, Konecny,
    Defence: Josi, Trouba , Klingberg, Morrissey, Zadorov, Gudas,
    G: Fleury, Rittich
    Bench: Steel(C), Watson(LW/RW), Comtois(LW), Blais (LW/RW), Zaitsev(D), Saros(G)