Thread: CHL Championship Series

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default CHL Championship Series

Ontario Hockey League - Ottawa 67s vs Guelph Storm

Ottawa is coming into the series on a 12 game winning streak. They have not lost a game these playoffs. They have played two games that have went to overtime, of which one went into trip overtime. They have not played a lot of hockey in comparison to their opponents this series.

Guelph has played in back to back game sevens against the powerhouse London Knights (who were heavy favourites) and the high-scoring Saginaw Spirit. They came back from being down 3-0 against London in the second round. This is your classic rest vs momentum scenario as Ottawa has a lot of rest, but Guelph should have lots of momentum.

Players to watch - Nick Suzuki
    of the Storm is leading the playoff scoring race by nine points with 31 points in 18 games played. Vancouver Canucks goalie prospect Michael DiPietro has played some awesome hockey all year and it will be interesting to see if he can slow Suzuki down.

My pick - Ottawa in 5 games. Ottawa has been elite all year and I suspect Guelph to steal one game. Ottawa is just too deep, especially with all the talent they added at the deadline.

Western Hockey League Prince Albert Raiders vs Vancouver Giants

Both of these teams were ranked high in the CHL standings all year. And I expect this too be a great matchup. Prince Albert is entering the finals after trailing Edmonton 2-1 in the West Finals. That is the only bit of adversity that either of these teams faced all playoffs and it was easily overcome by the Raiders.

The goalies in this matchup were three of the top for in the regular season. Ian Scott of the Raiders GAA for the regular season and playoffs is below 2.00. Vancouver split the role all season and the two goalies finished third and forth in GAA. So one would expect a low scoring affair.
    Payers to watch - As mentioned above their is some elite goaltending in this series, but their is also some high-level draft prospect talent that I am interested in watching as well.
    The number two North American Ranked Skater (per NHL.com) is having an outstanding playoffs for Vancouver. Bowan Byram is leading the WHL playoffs with 18 points in 15 games as a draft-eligible Defenseman. Impressive!! On the Green and Black side of things they have draft-eligible Brett Leason who is in the top 30 North American skaters. However, he is not my player to watch for the Raiders. It is rookie Aliaksei Protas from Bellarus. Protas has scored 15 points in 15 games, only one point behind team leaders, Leason and Noah Gregor. Protas is on fire as he had back to back hat-tricks in the final two games against the Edmonton Oil Kings.

My pick - Prince Albert in 7. Both teams have been dominant all year and through the playoffs. So I am going with the homer pick and picking the Saskatchewan team in an exciting back and forth 7 game series.

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League - Rouyn-Noranda Huskies vs Halifax Mooseheads

I have to admit, that I have not followed the story-lines of these series as much as the WHL and the OHL. I always start of the playoffs trying too, but with lots of the reports and series previews being written in French I end up slowing down and giving up. My French is nowhere near as up to date as it was back in high school.

The one big thing that I have noticed is that the Huskies have not missed a beat as their top player missed the third round series and the team was able to sweep Rimouski Oceanic. I assume that an injury is what kept the QMJHL leading scorer Peter Abbandonato out of the series. Joel Teasdale has stepped up in a big way to replace the absence of Abbandonato.

On the other side of the puck, draft eligible prospect Rapheal Lavoie is lighting it up for Halifax and is leading the playoffs in scoring with 27 points in 17 games for the Mooseheads.

Payers to watch -
    For the Mooseheads it has to be Lavoie, who is ranked as the number 20 North American Skater. If he continues this streak through the finals and into the Memorial Cup (Host City) then I fully expect his draft stock to increase significantly. For the Huskies, one has to love watching Noah Dobson play. With 20 points in 14 playoff games, he can defintiely score, so I am interested in watching to see how he does on the defensive side of the puck and how close he is to being ready to make the jump to play on the Islanders.

My pick - Huskies in 7. This is a tough one to pick as I had mentioned I did not follow the playoffs as much as the other leagues and with the uncertainty of the Huskies top player. However, I think Abbandonato will be able to play at some point in the series and will be the leader he was all year for the team, leading them to a game 7 victory.

Please add your thoughts and any discussion topics, predictions.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: CHL Championship Series

I really hope to get to a game or two of the Mooseheads/Huskies series. My company has season tickets and the Moose have been so much fun to watch this season. Not sure what the wheelchair seating is like at the arena though so haven't figured out for sure if my injuries are going to stop me yet.

Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Mooseheads goalie Alex Gravel does. When he is on, he is tough to beat! Could be the goalie of the future for the Blackhawks. Also Benoit Olivier Groulx is a great Ducks prospect and is always a factor. Samuel Asselin had 86 points in 69 games this year and has been pretty productive in the playoffs too. And as you mentioned, Lavoie is always exciting to watch.

The interesting thing about the Q league series is that with Halifax hosting the Memorial Cup this year, both teams are guaranteed a place in that already. While it takes away a little luster from the Presidents Cup series, a close matchup could end up making the Memorial Cup even more fun.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Great One

I went to game 2 of Ottawa's last series. I was so stoked to see DiPietro play. And I was shocked...he was awful. No rebound control whatsoever. Couldn't cut down an angle to save his life. Kyle Keyser gave up 7 goals, and let me tell you, he looked much more confident and poised in the net.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    the Moose have been so much fun to watch this season.
    I agree!!! #WHL

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

San Jose prospect Sasha Chmelevski moved into 2nd in OHL playoff scoring last night with a two goal, two assist performance. He now trails Suzuki by 7 points with 6 less games played.
    Sasha ChmelevskiSasha ChmelevskiSasha Chmelevski
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Master

does rouyn make the memorial cup even if they lose to halifax considering halifax is the host ?

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    does rouyn make the memorial cup even if they lose to halifax considering halifax is the host ?
    That is correct. So we already know half the teams in the Mem Cup!

​​

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    That is correct. So we already know half the teams in the Mem Cup!
    those are fightin words for Don Cherry , hah

Ottawa 67's are steam rolling everyone!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

All ready to head to Game 4 of the Mooseheads vs Huskies tomorrow night!

Casts going to match the jerseys

Without me, it's only "aweso".