Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knights-Sharks Ref Won't Officiate 2nd Round

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Knights-Sharks Ref Won't Officiate 2nd Round

Obviously a good call (pun intended) by the NHL. Pretty hollow win for the Knights.

Two referees who worked the controversial Game 7 between the Vegas Golden Knights and San Jose Sharks in the first round will not officiate in the second round.

Dan O'Halloran and Eric Furlatt were on the ice for a pivotal major penalty call in the third period that gave the Sharks a five-minute power play.
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...iate-2nd-round
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Knights-Sharks Ref Won't Officiate 2nd Round

Well... half the 1st round crews get cut into the second round anyway....

Only the best crews move on.. It's a huge deal to them too, to get to and work the Cup Finals.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports All-Star

[QUOTE=LawMan;1975339]Obviously a good call (pun intended) by the NHL. Pretty hollow win for the Knights.

Yes. No 2nd round for you!!!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Well... half the 1st round crews get cut into the second round anyway....

Only the best crews move on.. It's a huge deal to them too, to get to and work the Cup Finals.
    I haven't read the article, but this is exactly the type of info that always gets left out. Yes, they aren't working the 2nd round, but there's a ~50% chance they wouldn't have anyways.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I haven't read the article, but this is exactly the type of info that always gets left out. Yes, they aren't working the 2nd round, but there's a ~50% chance they wouldn't have anyways.
    No there wasn't

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2019/04/...-cup-playoffs/

O’Halloran and Furlatt officiated Game 7 between the Sharks and Golden Knights, which included a pivotal major penalty call against Vegas; San Jose scored four times on the ensuing power play en route to a 5-4 win. O’Halloran hasn’t missed a Conference Final round in over a decade and leads all active referees with 212 playoff games.

The Great One

No question it was a bad call. And I'm sure this has been said before, but if San Jose had not scored on the PP, or only scored one or two goals, this would be a non-issue. It is pretty darn convenient for Vegas to blame all of this on the refereeing. If a team can't stop another team from scoring 4 goals on one 5-minute major, they deserve to lose the game.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    No question it was a bad call. And I'm sure this has been said before, but if San Jose had not scored on the PP, or only scored one or two goals, this would be a non-issue. It is pretty darn convenient for Vegas to blame all of this on the refereeing. If a team can't stop another team from scoring 4 goals on one 5-minute major, they deserve to lose the game.
    Still doesn't make it right. Shouldn't have been a penalty and Vegas shouldn't have been put in that position. Hard to accept a brutal call in a game 7 from the 'best' referee's. Gallant would be the one to blame here after the referee's who probably should have given the Sharks a 5 minute major for something to even things up to see how the Sharks would have fared. That would have been fair.

Administrator

Bad officiating in general is the problem here. These guys are instructed to let a lot of stuff go and it's pretty much universal at this time of the year. In the end most of the penalties called don't make sense within the context of the game being played because a ton of equal or worse stuff is let go intentionally. And when something does happen you will probably get a cheap make-up call.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    If it's a 5 minute major that never should have been called in the first place, then that is pretty relevant, don't you think?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Are there really a large number of people who felt that it wasn't even a minor? I thought the issue was it being a major, and Vegas then crapping the bed on the penalty kill.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    If it's a 5 minute major that never should have been called in the first place, then that is pretty relevant, don't you think?

Rylant
    obviously the blown call is relevant, but if Vegas can't stop a team from scoring 4 goals on the same penalty, they don't deserve to win, in my opinion.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Bad officiating in general is the problem here. These guys are instructed to let a lot of stuff go and it's pretty much universal at this time of the year. In the end most of the penalties called don't make sense within the context of the game being played because a ton of equal or worse stuff is let go intentionally. And when something does happen you will probably get a cheap make-up call.
    honestly, this is the bigger issue I have. Most of the regular season, what is and is not a penalty is relatively-speaking fairly straightforward. Come playoff time, so many incidents that would have been a penalty in the regular season are not called unless a player is injured, a scoring play was prevented because of the penalty, or a scoring play was created because of the penalty. It is a bit of a joke, really. IMO, penalties should be called consistently all year, no matter the time of year nor the time of the game. Heck, with a minute to go in regulation and a team down by a goal with the extra attacker, you can pretty much do whatever you want without worrying about getting a penalty called against you.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Titan

About time the refs get punished for poor performance.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    About time the refs get punished for poor performance.
    I actually think there's a level of protection happening here as well. If they are back for round three (which maybe isn't possible if out for round two), I'm guessing this is a way to let things cool down and ensure they don't have too much scrutiny immediately after what has clearly been an error. Smart for the league to hold them out for multiple reasons IMO.

And I'm always reluctant to be too critical--especially in a situation like this one. Always remember that you're getting to see these things multiple times, in slo-mo, after the incident. And if there was an actual penalty and Pavelski was bleeding on the ice with a no-call the criticism is equally (if not more) harsh. Just saying....
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I actually think there's a level of protection happening here as well. If they are back for round three (which maybe isn't possible if out for round two), I'm guessing this is a way to let things cool down and ensure they don't have too much scrutiny immediately after what has clearly been an error. Smart for the league to hold them out for multiple reasons IMO.

And I'm always reluctant to be too critical--especially in a situation like this one. Always remember that you're getting to see these things multiple times, in slo-mo, after the incident. And if there was an actual penalty and Pavelski was bleeding on the ice with a no-call the criticism is equally (if not more) harsh. Just saying....
    They gave the penalty to the wrong guy even....Pavelski was hit twice, and the second hit was the one that should have been called.

Refs blew it and called the penalty based off injury not the play. Which was happening all playoffs because the refs don't call penalties in game 83 as they do in 82. And they went heavily off injury on this one as the actual hits were not a 5min penalty but because it somehow cut the back of his head through his helmet is the reason it was 5min.

League admitted they missed a call (I keep saying missed, but got the call wrong) and now the people who missed it are punished. As it should be. Refs are protected from missed calls too much in my opinion.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll