Thread: Draft Ranking/Organization...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Draft Ranking/Organization...

Just wondering how everyone goes about ranking their players in of the off season, what stats do you look at.

Do you use a number system to rank players individually? Do you tier players? Rank/Tier by position?

Just looking at a few different idea's this off season, as I spend my days in the back yard chillin with a brew waiting for hockey to start again...

Thanks in advance!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Draft Ranking/Organization...

Depends on the league. Limited keeper, full keeper, limited keeper by position, cap league, limited keeper by draft slot, etc.
    My approach changes for each, and I don't really write down rankings (all kind of in my head), but the general rule I follow is value to others vs value to me. Trading, keepers, drafts, etc. It's all mapped out by a balance of what the value is to someone else vs what the value is that I see.

Just have to find the system that works best for you.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm in a re-draft league
    P2 PPP1 BLK.25 SOG.20 HIT.15
    W3 GA-1 SV.15 SO2

I typically rank my players during the off season on paper making adjustments for changes in coach/trades/injuries...etc...

Then I wait for the ADP's from Yahoo to solidify and make adjustments based on what most of the less "intense" managers would probably pick, moving players up or down accordingly.

My Goalies are tiered as they tend to always be a crap shoot, so as long as there are a few good ones out there I don't rush to get goalies...

Players that are close in skill/deployment I look a their playoff schedule/injury history/line mates for adjusting.

I've got a friend who tiers all his players by position, he had a pretty solid draft last season so I was just wondering how others do theirs....

Thanks for your input!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I try and look out for potential 2 for 1 trades (i send 2 players for 1 better). offering diff trade scenarios and see how the other managers value in the league.
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I feel that if you're going to bother doing draft prep and you have time to do any real amount of work, you need to tier by position. You need to be able to compare players by position, and know when changes in tier happen based on what you think. I'd don't really find a need to get too granular within positional tiers to have a good draft.

Being able to compare across positions is also important. Ideally you'd have some formula to have an overall sort of grade, but one can often get by without an absolute value, and go by feel and knowing how many of each position you need, and having the positions tiered. It also helps if you are at the ends of a round in a snake draft, knowing what may vanish before it gets back to you again.

I've had to step in draft teams in various leagues in various sports for people over the years, including twice in the last 3 years being awoken from bed to do a draft in the next half hour. I knew the leagues in question having quit fantasy football, but it was a bit more scattershot than one might think. One team had the best draft they had in years - I did have to make sure to give them a couple homer fan players, but it was weird hearing the guy who showed up late ask "What happened to you? You got smart all of sudden." A good laugh was had by all.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.