Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Edm GM decision

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Edm GM decision

LOL, please dont flame me, and honestly i even hate to post this knowing the source, but

HockeyBuzz is saying Mark Hunter..honestly i see this as a SOLID move...if its legit

Just talked to a few trusted sources and this looks to be as one NHL source put it..."As done of a deal as can be at this point.. Call it an E5 TBA...."

"The new GM of the Edmonton Oilers will be Mark Hunter and the new coach will be DJ Smith."
    also from Edmonton Journal which suggests it has legs:
    In the meantime, here are some real-world Oilers goings on, including some news on the G.M. hunt which seems to be nearing decision day. And one name in particular may be at the top of the hit parade: Mark Hunter.
    EDIT, the title is a tad misleading, said Coaching, should read GM
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Edm GM decision

Mark Hunter's name has been involved in most of the discussions. Reports saying the Oilers have already had 2 interview with him.

Ryan Rishaug was on local radio this morning and said the Oilers are real interested in interviewing Vegas Assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon but Vegas would only allow that after they were eliminated from the playoffs. So if Vegas loses game 7 the Oilers will get an interview done immediately but if Vegas goes deep they might lose their chance to talk to McCrimmon.

The team is most likely waiting to name a GM who will pick his own head coach.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...069310464?s=19

Oilers boss, Bob Nicholson into 2nd interviews with GM candidates. Belief is, he may do a 3rd with top guys and is hoping to hire his man around May 1.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm no expert but would McCrimmon perhaps rather wait until Seattle starts looking for a GM? To me, that's more ideal and I've heard he is the frontrunner anyway. He'd have the chance to essentially make his team his way and not inherit a mess like the Oilers. Honestly who wants to deal with contracts like Lucic, Koskinen and Russell?
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Big Daddy

It’s Edmonton. They’ll end up hiring Ryan Smyth out of nowhere!

Dobber Sports Deity

The Oilers are clearly waiting for the opportunity to talk to McCrimmon but that doesn't mean hes the guy they will hire. We'll see how this plays out. Lots of good options.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    I'm no expert but would McCrimmon perhaps rather wait until Seattle starts looking for a GM? To me, that's more ideal and I've heard he is the frontrunner anyway. He'd have the chance to essentially make his team his way and not inherit a mess like the Oilers. Honestly who wants to deal with contracts like Lucic, Koskinen and Russell?
    Every team has issues to deal with in this cap era. Only one of those contracts you mentioned are seriously bad (too long, too much cap hit) - Russell at $4M per for 2 years? Meh, a defenseman who can skate and chew gum, here's $4M. Koskinen at $4.5M per for 3 years isn't bad, but he better be the starter or it's not a great signing. Not debilitating, just not a good deal. Hard to argue Lucic is worth that contract. Sure he can fight and threaten to beat up players who go after McDavid, but he's got to catch them first.

Just to bring my point home about all teams having issues, how's that James Neal contract looking? Healthy scratch in the playoffs? Yikes. Good thing he's only got 4 more years at $5.75M per compared to Lucic's 4 years at $6M per. Quite the mess.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    It’s Edmonton. They’ll end up hiring Ryan Smyth out of nowhere!
    To play?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Would you rather have McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, etc and a few bad contracts or would you rather have no bad contracts and a bunch of 3rd liners? I can't see an NHL team gifting the Seattle franchise 2/3rds of a top line prior to the next expansion draft which is what Florida did by trading Vegas Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. I am predicting that NHL GMs learnt from the Vegas expansion draft and there will be very few, if any, trades between the other franchises and Seattle before the expansion draft. Teams are going to go with the theory that it is better to lose one player than it will be to lose two players (or picks or prospects).

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've heard this reasoning before and it makes some sense but passing on a GM job for the chance to interview for another GM job for a team that doesn't even play for 3 more years (GM hired in 2 years??) is a big, big risk. McCrimmon is the front runner for now but a lot can change in 2 years and that's too more years of not making GM money... I would think a guy who has never been a GM would jump at the first job offered instead of waiting for the "perfect" opportunity.

Dreger tweeted this morning:
    Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    The Oilers will respect the appropriate time to allow Kelly McCrimmon and the Vegas Golden Knights to sort through end of season procedure. However, request for permission to interview McCrimmon for Oilers gm job will happen in near future.
    Heck even if McCrimmon does not want the job he should still take the interview for that experience alone.
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    NO IR

Administrator

He should take all interviews just to build his personal brand. Even if his intention is to stay with Vegas till the end of time, it's in his best interest to show there's demand for him.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Bob McKenzie

Verified account

@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Following Following @TSNBobMcKenzie
    More
    Kelly McCrimmon is not in the mix to be GM of EDM. Remaining with VGK.
    https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    NO IR

Administrator

How many people are going to turn down the job?

Dobber Sports Guru

Just to quell rumours, I have also turned down the job as Edmonton GM.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    How many people are going to turn down the job?
    A lot that look at the roster (outside of McDavid, Drai, RNH, Klefbom and some good prospects) and the owner and go "uhhh... no thanks". It is the same in Ottawa, notice how NO ONE wants to be the President of Hockey Ops there hahaa

If Katz gets rid of the old 80's boys there then the smart folks would line up to GM a team with McJesus.

Also if they just leave Keith Gretzky in limbo and he leaves after would Wayne leave as well?
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league