Thread: Trading for Pettersson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trading for Pettersson

Been trying to pry Pettersson away from his owner (league in sig), and decided it might be worth dangling Klingberg (https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...ok-w-Heiskanen). After a bunch of straight proposal rejections, he came back with Klingberg and Debrincat for Pettersson. Kinda played my hand a bit by being aggressive, but there's a couple other Canucks homers in the league I wanted to get out ahead of.

I would end up keeping either Backstrom of Bergeron.

Klingberg & Debrincat for Pettersson & Backstrom/Bergeron

Thing is, we have offseason trading, including draft picks for the next two seasons. It's going to take an overpayment to get Pettersson, but I can't help feeling like this is just poor asset management on my part.

A pick upgrade coming back my way would make it more palatable, but I'm wondering if I'm just being greedy at this point.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Trading for Pettersson

I think I’d do it. But it’s betw Bergeron and Radulov for that last spot for me.

Dobber Sports Icon

Honestly man, when consolidating talent in a limited keeper, you are going to have to overpay. If you think he's going to be game for adding a small pick upgrade and won't walk away from the deal, then there's no harm in asking but I wouldn't let that stop the trade.

I hate to see you give up Klingberg in this format, but you still have two really solid D and Pettersson has the potential to be a perennial top 5 scorer in this setup. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but this kid is definitely something special and if he can stay healthy, is a must-own in Points only. Couple that with you being a Canucks fan, and I think you should follow your heart on this one.

Giving up Debrincat sucks, but Bergeron should still be a solid producer for a few more years. Chances are a trade or draft pick will come up next year that replaces him in your keepers anyway.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, yeah I agree an overpayment will be required. One thing I forgot to mention that my signature doesn't show (fixed) is that it's a cap league. Straight 1:1 with the NHL cap. Klingberg is money in the bank with his $4.5 million contract, but I would get an extra season of ELC over Debrincat.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)

Roster

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Done, thanks guys (and girls?). Went straight up, didn't bother countering. Figured worst case it sets the bar for offseason trades and takes a few players off the table. Took three beers more than I thought it would to hit the accept button though. Rep'd where I could!
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Late to the party, but I like the deal too. Doesn't look as positive as you would like on the surface, but all the details point to it being worth taking for you .
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Late to the party, but I like the deal too. Doesn't look as positive as you would like on the surface, but all the details point to it being worth taking for you .
    Woke up with a bit of a hangover and a moment of "oh shit what did I do", so your post is appreciated
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Woke up with a bit of a hangover and a moment of "oh shit what did I do", so your post is appreciated
    Happy to help calm the nerves. As for the hangover, mixing a diced up slic of pizza into some scrambled eggs is my go to
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Good deal for you, think I replied to your other thread.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Good deal for you, think I replied to your other thread.
    You definitely did, much appreciated. Reception to the trade worked out well too, Canucks homers were pissy, others thought I paid too much; perfect balance. I'm the commissioner, so I'm always a bit wary of the optics of trades.
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Superstar

On the surface, Klingberg/Debrincat looks like a pretty big overpayment for Pettersson. In a limited keeper it's not as bad though as you have some decent (albeit older) replacement level players.

I don't love the deal, but if it's a guy you wanted then sometimes you need to overpay.