Thread: 20 years ago today.....

Dobber Sports Deity

Default 20 years ago today.....

Hard to believe it's been 20 years since The Great One played his last NHL game. I remember watching this one live on TV.

Here's a good look at his last game in 99 seconds, especially if you never had the honor of actually getting to watch him play ....

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/9-things-a...onds-1.5102355

11519_10151509493388654_360299926_n.jpg
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: 20 years ago today.....

I remember watching this game. I knew he swapped sticks often in that game... but 52 sticks... wow. Pretty sure I stood in my living room for the ovations the Rangers fans gave him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was so lucky to grow up in Edmonton as the WHA and NHL merged. I got to see Gretzky from his first (but not rookie!! lol) season in the NHL. It's funny he turned out to be the player he did. Not a big guy, maybe 175 lbs, couldn't skate all that fast (wasn't slow, but was far from fast) and he didn't even have that hard of a shot. It was his ability to think the game several moves ahead that set him apart from everyone else. He was obviously passionate about playing and committed to being the best player he could be.

Gretzky wasn't even my favourite player on the Oilers, no, I much preferred the dynamic physically skilled players like the fearless Glenn Anderson who would crash the net back when they didn't pop off like they do now and Mark Messier, who was decently skilled, insanely driven to win and would do almost anything to beat (sometimes literally) his opponents. What I loved, was that that team, my team, was a true team. They did nearly everything together. What a ride for the faithful, at least until a certain owner who shall not be named (turns head, spits) instigated the trade of the best player in NHL history...in his prime. Fans were left wondering how many Cups might the Oilers have won had they not dealt The Great One.

I miss those days, but have great memories. Thanks for starting this thread Axe!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

wanted to see Wayne play live before he retired so I drove through white out conditions back in the early 90's to see him at maple leaf gardens (kings-leafs)

Big Daddy

I remember watching his final game live on TV. Canadian Heritage Moment.