Thread: Klingberg Outlook w/Heiskanen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Klingberg Outlook w/Heiskanen

So Klingberg had a bit of a down season ("only" a 57 point pace while dealing with injury). That said, I'm watching Heiskanen, and he's got me worried. Kid has speed, skill. That combined with Dallas having troubles scoring during the regular season (although that might have had something to do with Klingberg being out). Need someone to talk me off the ledge.

Ultimately I have an ulterior motive for asking, as I have a solid set of defencemen, and I'm considering packaging up Klingberg to get Pettersson. Canucks homer, and I like having players on my fantasy squads from my favourite teams where I can. Cap league in sig.

For what it's worth, in said league, a ~90 point forward is roughly on par with a ~60 point D in terms of points above replacement.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Klingberg Outlook w/Heiskanen

I think it's a reasonable sort of deal to make in general, with your Canucks fandom, it makes more sense.

That said, I don't think Klingberg is in danger of losing his role anytime soon.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

In a keep 7 im generally ( league dependent of course ) looking to keep more forwards. I'm fine with 2 elite defensmen (which you already have in Letang and Hedman) and maybe one top 5 goalie on a really good team (Andersen). The rest I want elite forwards. There of course could be exceptions but generally that seems like its a pretty good balance.

I think having your favorite players on your fantasy team is extremely enjoyable and makes it more fun. I see no reason not to pursue this trade further (just don't get completely hosed) regardless of Klingbergs future with Heiskenen lurking. I don't believe kling is in jeopardy of losing his spot but I also don't believe he'll go ppg so it's a very reasonable deal.

Take advantage of petterssons slow finish to the season as his stock will probably never get lower.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yup, I also support the idea of acquiring your favorite players as it makes leagues more fun when you can cheer for your guys in fantasy and in real life. I paid a pretty hefty price to get Nathan MacKinnon for that reason and it certainly helps that he's a top ten producer I can build my team around. If Pettersson could be that guy for you and you've got the depth at other positions to get the deal done without crippling your team then definitely do it.

For the record I should point out that I also don't believe Klingberg's spot in the lineup is at risk. Heiskanen is good but when a guy like Klingberg is established and proven he doesn't just lose his spot when a shiny new toy shows up.

Gostisbehere had a pretty crappy season and he didn't even lose his PP1 spot for any length of time. And in Boston a lot of people thought McAvoy would dethrone Krug and it didn't even happen when Krug missed a ton of time with injuries. I feel that in the majority of cases the 'new player coming up will threaten for his spot' concerns are overblown.

None of this should stop you from trading Kling though if you can get Pettersson on your team.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks folks, kind of the exact opposite of talking me off the ledge, but good points. Pettersson would be a fun addition. Presuming he hits that 90 point mark within the next two seasons, it would likely be a wash. Klingbergs miniscule cap hit is an amazing thing, but having two more seasons of ELC with Pettersson would help ease the pain.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)

Roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Thanks folks, kind of the exact opposite of talking me off the ledge, but good points. Pettersson would be a fun addition. Presuming he hits that 90 point mark within the next two seasons, it would likely be a wash. Klingbergs miniscule cap hit is an amazing thing, but having two more seasons of ELC with Pettersson would help ease the pain.
    I can't talk you off a ledge when you're not on one. Offering any one of your 3 defenders with a plus for Pettersson is reasonable, especially when considering your fandom.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah I'm possibly overly invested in Klingberg due to having had him on my team since his rookie days. Either way, made an offer of Backstrom and Klingberg for Pettersson and a late pick upgrade. Feels like a bit of an overpayment, but it's also notoriously hard to get trades done in the offseason in a limited keeper, so it might not even take.

Anyway thanks for all the feedback!
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Klingberg is a RHD and Heiskanen LHD. They've even paired up at times this year to excellent results, but Dallas needs to spread them out due to having guys like Polak in their lineup. Heiskanen was a solid boost to Lindell this year and maybe they can add another steady top 4 guy in the offseason.

Not sure Heiskanen is a threat per se, but I do feel he'll but one of the absolute best defenders in the league in a short while. Does he take Klingberg's plum spot on the top powerplay? Seems like they would have to come up with a whole new look on the unit to accommodate. Klingberg does only make $4.25m so it's not like they're obligated to roll him out there. In the last year of his deal I can see Heiskanen already making $7m or $8m.

Dallas is going to have two #1 defenders in a short while playing opposite sides. Not a bad position to be in. If they can add some more forward depth (Hintz looks like a great start) then perhaps both guys will produce nicely