Thread: Alain Vigneault hired by Philadelphia

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Alain Vigneault hired by Philadelphia

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Alain Vigneault hired by Philadelphia

Smart move by AV to take this job. The Flyers are a good car to drive for the next several years. So much talent in that system.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Great for Philly, not sure it's super great news for Fantasy pools the way he distributes ice time
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

It'll be nice to see Coach V killing that bubblegum again!

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't hate this hire. Vigneault always seems to get a lot of out his guys.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Great for Philly, not sure it's super great news for Fantasy pools the way he distributes ice time
    that's interesting, can you elaborate? I'm not familiar with what kind of reputation he has in that regard.

I think this is particularly important with the Flyers as they have the talent to stack lines or have legit scorers spread across 3 lines. I've always wondered how they intend to fit all of their top sixers in the top six, especially with Frost and Farrabee knockin on the door in the next few seasons.

Dobber Sports Giant

he seemed to always be push his scorers with offensive zone starts so that may help the big guns. not sure about spreading out ice times though.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Immortal

Interested to see where PH stands on this. I think he's been really great at getting a lot out of his teams so I love this for Philly.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He wasn't my first choice, but also not my last choice of the major possibilities list in the Philly Inquirer article on Sunday.

I'm a bit worried about how he'll use the young players based on what happened with the Rangers, but his overall track record is good.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    that's interesting, can you elaborate? I'm not familiar with what kind of reputation he has in that regard.

I think this is particularly important with the Flyers as they have the talent to stack lines or have legit scorers spread across 3 lines. I've always wondered how they intend to fit all of their top sixers in the top six, especially with Frost and Farrabee knockin on the door in the next few seasons.
    When he coached Vancouver one of the largest, most common media/fan complains was that he played the Sedins 18 min/night at most. As dominant as they were when AV was there... why not 19:00+/night. When Torts came in, he went a bit overboard and droned them up to 22min/night.

With the Rangers - this was the knock on him. There were a couple years the Rangers flew out of the gate scoring a lot of goals. That production was evenly spread over 3 lines - all getting 16ish min/game. There was no true #1 or even #3 line. His main philosophy is to play 5 man units, move the puck up the ice with speed, high tempo and keep the intensity/pressure on the opposition at all times. Limiting ice time, length of shifts to more evenly distribute over all 4 lines - keeps everyone a bit fresher. He's done this in two cities now over the last decade.

It won't surprise me to see him split up Philly's top line to spread the wealth and create a more balanced attack there too. He's got a lot of weapons and some really good prospects coming. This could turn into a boom for fantasy Philly owners, or it could create eight 65pt-80pt scorers, instead of 4 with a couple 85+pt scorers.

Giroux will likely still get his. I mean, also has to be remembered Hank won the Hart with AV & 104pts.

Dobber Sports Pro

Was there a fantasy impact article and I just missed it?

As a Frost owner I'm wary since Vigneault is not my favourite for developing young players.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Was there a fantasy impact article and I just missed it?

As a Frost owner I'm wary since Vigneault is not my favourite for developing young players.
    Nope. I don't think there has been an article for AV, Quenn or McClellan