Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hellebuyck vs Binnington

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Hellebuyck vs Binnington

Well I am trying to sort out my keepers (see signature below for details) and I am seriously considering keeping Binnington over Hellebuyck. Since I can only keep 2 goalies and Vasilevskiy is a definite keeper I am have trying to gauge the trade market and no one in my league seems interested in Binnington even though he looks like the real deal.

Am I crazy to consider moving Helle, who would probably return a top prospect and 1st rounder, and hold on to Binnington?
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Hellebuyck vs Binnington

I think it makes lots of sense to do that.

Binnington isn't prospect eligible, right? I ask because they've played similar numbers of games in the NHL.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd for sure do that. I have them about equal, so cash in on the one people in your league find valuable.

I recently made a similar deal since I have Binnington. Bob for Trouba and a mid 2020 1st
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm with you on that one, man. I don't want any of Hellebuyck going forward. This year I picked him about 31overall in my 16 teams league because he felt too much but thats it... I also had him the year before he broke out for that super solid season
    but again and again he showed that he isn't a consistant goalie. Even though that he is playing for a top team and the Wins are easier to get, I don't trust this guy.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Deity

I expect Hellebuyck to bounce back next year so if it was me, I'd try and sell high on Binnington and keep Hellebuyck.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Binnington isn't prospect eligible, right? I ask because they've played similar numbers of games in the NHL.
    No Binnington isn't prospect eligible. Will definitely see how Binnington reacts to last nights loss before making a decision and really appreciate the feedback so far.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Icon

To answer your initial question, you would be crazy to keep Binnington over Hellebuyck. However, you would not be crazy to keep Binnington and a top prospect and an extra 1st round pick instead of Hellebuyck. I would probably protect Byfuglien or Weber over Binnington though.

I would be shocked if Binnington started 40 games in the NHL next season so I do not value him very highly.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I expect Hellebuyck to bounce back next year so if it was me, I'd try and sell high on Binnington and keep Hellebuyck.
    I would do this too. Regular season you having Vasi and Hellboy would be insane!
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    ^100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    To answer your initial question, you would be crazy to keep Binnington over Hellebuyck. However, you would not be crazy to keep Binnington and a top prospect and an extra 1st round pick instead of Hellebuyck.
    I don't mind moving Helle for that return and keeping Binnington, but I think you're going to have a much weaker goalie than you would have with Hellebuyck.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Veteran

I wonder if some of you that picked Helle are changing their minds after Winnington binning the cup..ops Binnington winning the cup* especially the way he played throughout the playoffs?
    Devils & Predators fan

Big Daddy

I’d trade whichever goalie gets you the better trade return.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I’d trade whichever goalie gets you the better trade return.
    On board with that, but I still lean towards liking Helle more. We haven't seen Binnington's durability over a full season, he hasn't been properly scouted and exposed over a full season, etc. Lots of goalies go on hot runs, and I would rather Helle over any of 2007 Cam Ward, 2016 Hammond, or 2017 Murray (Those are the years after their spectacular runs).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As an update decided to hold on to Hellebuyck I ended up moving Binnington right after the first round of the playoffs for Troy Terry - which was surprisingly the best offer I could get at the time. For some reason other GM's thought they could find a serviceable goalie during the draft and didn't want to give up the assets (no one willing to move a first rounder). One GM whose only quasi starting goalie was Koskinen declined an offer for Nick Suzuki or another wouldn't even do a straight up deal for Necas.

On a positive note I really do like Terry, who is still prospect roster eligible for two more years and I think has great upside, and Binnington was a waiver wire pick-up in February.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Sounds like you did okay, given the roster crunch.

I have much less faith in Jake Allen than many seem to, so I think Binnington can hold him off during those periods when Allen isn't holding himself off.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    On board with that, but I still lean towards liking Helle more. We haven't seen Binnington's durability over a full season, he hasn't been properly scouted and exposed over a full season, etc. Lots of goalies go on hot runs, and I would rather Helle over any of 2007 Cam Ward, 2016 Hammond, or 2017 Murray (Those are the years after their spectacular runs).
    Thats a great comparison, Eskimo, but are there any other cases of ''unknown'' goalies that had hot runs and actually continued to play consistent hockey after that?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    As an update decided to hold on to Hellebuyck I ended up moving Binnington right after the first round of the playoffs for Troy Terry - which was surprisingly the best offer I could get at the time. For some reason other GM's thought they could find a serviceable goalie during the draft and didn't want to give up the assets (no one willing to move a first rounder). One GM whose only quasi starting goalie was Koskinen declined an offer for Nick Suzuki or another wouldn't even do a straight up deal for Necas.

On a positive note I really do like Terry, who is still prospect roster eligible for two more years and I think has great upside, and Binnington was a waiver wire pick-up in February.
    I don't want to discourage you or something but I thought that you could be more patient and get more after the second round or after the cup finals... Theres always a risk - the Blues could've been eliminated in the first round and now you could've only dreamed about getting Terry for Binnington So...
    Devils & Predators fan