Thread: Thinking of starting a keeper league. Need help.

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Thinking of starting a keeper league. Need help.

Ok, I am thinking of starting a keeper league. This would be my first keeper league that I start. For a points only league, what type of set up is most popular?

I am in a pts league where top 12 forwards count, top 4 d, top 1 goalie ect. But am wondering if doing a roto style league (max starts) would work or has anyone ever done that?

I was thinking something like 4 C (max 328), 4 RW (max 328), 6 D (max 492), 1 goalie (max 82).

You think a league with that type of settings would fly? goal, assist = 1 pt, goalie win = 2 pts, shutout = 1 pt.

I will be awarding the winner of the league with a trophy. Also a league website which will have the banner of the championship teams.

16-24 teams.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Thinking of starting a keeper league. Need help.

I'm actually surprised that you havent done this sooner .

only 2 cents I'll add is if your going 16+ teams be careful not to make goalies too valuable .

I'm in a keeper that only allows you to protect 1 experienced goalie + 4 goalie prospects and the rest get put into the summer draft . It makes the draft interesting because gm's need to choose between that summers top amateur drafted prospects like Rasmus Dahlin or one of the goalies left unprotected or of course unprotected fwd/d

Dobber Sports Ace

Make it a rule that teams not have derogatory/ignorant names that might cause other league members to leave. I wish that I was joking and that it should go without saying. Good luck with your league.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I'm actually surprised that you havent done this sooner .

only 2 cents I'll add is if your going 16+ teams be careful not to make goalies too valuable .

I'm in a keeper that only allows you to protect 1 experienced goalie + 4 goalie prospects and the rest get put into the summer draft . It makes the draft interesting because gm's need to choose between that summers top amateur drafted prospects like Rasmus Dahlin or one of the goalies left unprotected or of course unprotected fwd/d
    Thanks for your reply butch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    Make it a rule that teams not have derogatory/ignorant names that might cause other league members to leave. I wish that I was joking and that it should go without saying. Good luck with your league.
    Of course. I wouldn't want to just have NHL team names but an approved custom name would be good.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For points only scoring, I'd recommend:
    Skaters: G=1, A=1. This gives a 100pt skater about... 100pts.
    Goalies: W=2, SO=3, OTL=1. This gives a 40w,5so,5otl goalie... 100pts.

For 12-14 teams, either 9F/5D/2G or 12F/6D/2G if you want more skaters.
    For 20-24 teams, either 6F/4D/1G or 9F/5D/1G if you want more skaters...
    ...12F/6D/1G is also an option... but 24x18 can be a lot of skaters - and your "casual" GMs will get dominated and leave the league annually.
    Almost all 24 team leagues have 3-5 "casual" GMs, if not more.

15-19 teams is the "NO" zone... if you go 2G, then goalie value is high, because they are scarce.
    If you go 1G, then goalie value is low, because they are plentiful.

That's my main advice... don't try to form a 15-19 team league, it just doesn't work.
    From my experience, 12-team (with start 2G) and 24-team (with start 1G) leagues are the optimal fantasy league size... that's step #1 in setting up a league: # of Teams/GMs.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For points only scoring, I'd recommend:
    Skaters: G=1, A=1. This gives a 100pt skater about... 100pts.
    Goalies: W=2, SO=3, OTL=1. This gives a 40w,5so,5otl goalie... 100pts.

For 12-14 teams, either 9F/5D/2G or 12F/6D/2G if you want more skaters.
    For 20-24 teams, either 6F/4D/1G or 9F/5D/1G if you want more skaters...
    ...12F/6D/1G is also an option... but 24x18 can be a lot of skaters - and your "casual" GMs will get dominated and leave the league annually.
    Almost all 24 team leagues have 3-5 "casual" GMs, if not more.

15-19 teams is the "NO" zone... if you go 2G, then goalie value is high, because they are scarce.
    If you go 1G, then goalie value is low, because they are plentiful.

That's my main advice... don't try to form a 15-19 team league, it just doesn't work.
    From my experience, 12-team (with start 2G) and 24-team (with start 1G) leagues are the optimal fantasy league size... that's step #1 in setting up a league: # of Teams/GMs.
    Appreciate the input Pengwin. I always value your advice.

Dobber Sports Icon

Just going to ignore the LW position all together are you? No Ovie or Marchand?

In all seriousness, Pengwin had some pretty solid suggestions.

Good luck man