Thread: Picking 31st

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Picking 31st

Hey all, I'm in a new Dynasty league with salary cap and full farm system. I'm picking last in the draft (sad times, especially as I did the draft myself on live stream) and wondered what sort of players you would go for?

I'm thinking it's best to go young right from the off, hope a relatively good young player makes it through to build around (Aho or something) but afterwards I'm thinking of trying for more prospect players like Mittlestadt, Frost, Q.Hughes, Makar etc, it's always tough going last - especially as these young players don't have contracts yet so it's hard to build around it.

Any thoughts would be great.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Picking 31st

31st??? Gross.

If it's me, I'm praying a starting goalie falls to me and that's what I'm grabbing. I'm doubting you'll get another crack later in the draft.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I would love to see the league setup and scoring settings before committing one way or another. I'm assuming it's a snake draft though and you get picks 31 and 32?
    I agree with Axe that getting a starting goalie would be nice, but I could see a lot of people going that route. If that's the case, and there are no to tier goalies left, I would grab two solid skaters who cover a lot of your categories, and then wait and see what goalie falls to me at 93.

There are always later options that can be solid for you: Raanta, M. Jones, Grubauer, and a few other starters I could see possibly slipping to you at 93. One of them would anyways. Or you could always value draft later a few guys like DeSmith, Copley, and Brossoit, waiting for the inevitable injuries/Seattle draft/trade/promotion.

Really depends on your league settings.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hmmm... well, there will certainly be goalie scarcity in a 31-team dynasty.

Carter Hart is a guy I'd really like at 31/32... if he's there.
    Philly has a really awesome team set up for the future... and Hart will be the REAL DEAL for 7+ years with that team.
    Your other pick should be a high-end forward... or Rasmus Dahlin (if he's there... but shouldn't be).
    I rarely recommend that you have to map out two dedicated positions... but you probably can't afford to miss a huge goalie run at 33-61 picks going by before your 3rd/4th choice.

31/32 tho... TOO EARLY for Morgan Frost or Casey Mittelstadt.
    You may not get a shot at Mittelstadt - who is likely a 40-60 range player in a new dynasty.
    So don't fall in love with him.
    Morgan Frost will be a nice player, but at earliest I'd say you should consider him at 93/94 picks.

But, in general,... you are doing this wrong to ask like this.
    Simply - MAKE YOUR LIST... 32 players.
    It's as easy as slowly saying "This guy or that guy", who would I choose.

If you are too lazy to map out your top 32 players, then you don't deserve to do well in this pool.
    Make your list - and then we can give you some recommendations.

I'll get you started, list player and AGE as of Sept 15, 2019:
    1. McDavid (age 22)
    2. Kucherov (age 26)
    3. MacKinnon (age 24)
    4. A.Matthews (age 21)
    5. J.Hughes (age 18)

Dobber Sports Icon

What's your goal in this league? Do you want to try and build a dynasty or do you want to win a championship? I would let others overpay on the youth and draft the best team for this season. While others are drafting the Casey Mittelstadts of the league hoping they can become solid producers, you can be drafting the James Van Riemsdyk, Mike Hoffman, Ryan Johansen (guys in their late 20s) who you know already are solid producers. Take the championship trophy in the first and second year and then try to worry about rebuilding after that.

Remember that most dynasty leagues don't last more than a year or 3 so don't overpay for youth that will likely never help you in the league.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for all the help guys!

A little more information:

It's a snake draft so 31/32nd picks go to me, I think the idea of Carter Hart would be awesome if the likes of Hughes/Dahlin are gone. I think I'd like to go full rebuild from the start, I really like the idea of taking 3-4 years, I have faith this league will last so happy to play the long game.

H2H each cat
    4 LW,RW,C
    6 D
    2G
    Pretty much all cats from what I can see (fantrax)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post

It's a snake draft so 31/32nd picks go to me, I think the idea of Carter Hart would be awesome if the likes of Hughes/Dahlin are gone. I think I'd like to go full rebuild from the start, I really like the idea of taking 3-4 years, I have faith this league will last so happy to play the long game.

H2H each cat
    4 LW,RW,C
    6 D
    2G
    A couple points:

1. It's not a rebuild if it never was - it's just a build, don't jinx yourself.
    2. I'd definitely remain flexible, as youngish veterans can be dealt for picks. High end guys under 24 should serve you well now & later.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post

H2H each cat
    4 LW,RW,C
    6 D
    2G
    Oh for sure, I'm definitely not ruling out anyone, if someone solid over 25 goes to 31 I will pick them up, I did that in my other dynasty in the 2nd round (16 team) where I picked up Erik Karlsson, hoping to keep the team under 25 if I can but not holding myself to it.

Going to be a tough one but I'm starting to draw up some potential lists now.