Poll: Flames vs Avs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Pacific Semi: (1) Calgary Flames vs (WC) Colorado Avalanche

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Pacific Semi: (1) Calgary Flames vs (WC) Colorado Avalanche

The Flames top line had a combined 5 points in 5 games... Completely shut down in this series.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    The Flames top line had a combined 5 points in 5 games... Completely shut down in this series.
    No kidding, Gaudreau had one: an assist. I drafted 6th in my pool, grabbed him after all the Tampa players went, thought it was a super saavy move for a couple days.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Meh. Calgary played bad for 3 out of 5 games. Could argue that for much of the game tonight they were the better team. Calgary probably wins that game tonight 7 of 10 times, but tonight they don’t. Getting run over games 2-4 means getting bad luck tonight ends your season. Kudos to Colorado but Calgary shouldn’t be looking at wholesale changes. Overreacting on small sample sizes is how you turn Jordan Eberle into Ryan Spooner

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Meh. Calgary played bad for 3 out of 5 games. Could argue that for much of the game tonight they were the better team. Calgary probably wins that game tonight 7 of 10 times, but tonight they don’t. Getting run over games 2-4 means getting bad luck tonight ends your season. Kudos to Colorado but Calgary shouldn’t be looking at wholesale changes. Overreacting on small sample sizes is how you turn Jordan Eberle into Ryan Spooner
    7/10 times.. Which game were you watching? I agree that they had their chances, but were out-chanced and outplayed by Colorado for a large portion of this last game.

Calgary (and TBL) needs a wholesale change- but not in terms of players but in terms of grit and heart. They didn't show it when it mattered.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    7/10 times.. Which game were you watching? I agree that they had their chances, but were out-chanced and outplayed by Colorado for a large portion of this last game.

Calgary (and TBL) needs a wholesale change- but not in terms of players but in terms of grit and heart. They didn't show it when it mattered.
    Calgary should have been up 3-1 after the first period. If that happens it’s a completely different game.

Too your second point. Looooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll

Dobber Sports Pro

Calgary should have been up 3-1 after the first period. If that happens it’s a completely different game.

Too your second point. Looooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll
    Don't bother engaging him, R22. This is a good team that is largely unfamiliar with playoff hockey that got schooled by a team that was there last year. I thought Gaudreau played pretty well but didn't get rewarded for his efforts and Andersson and Valimaki make me very excited for the future of the Flames blueline. I think this series exposed their lack of a bona fide no. 1 center. Monahan is not up to the task and it seemed like he was behind the play all series. Maybe he was injured (again) but even if that's the case then his durability along with his lack of engagement is a concern for me.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not sure what series you were watching but Johnny hockey was invisible aside from a couple shifts in the final game...

Valimaki looked great out there, one of the few Flames who actually showed up. Had they have played him earlier in the series, he may have had a bigger impact.

Going into this series I thought goal tending would be their downfall, yet that turned out to be the only position that showed up.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm not sure what series you were watching, but he certainly didn't just show up in game 5. Monahan was invincible and part of the problem was Gaudreau was trying to do it on his own without his center.

Gaudreau was definitely bad in the series, he just wasn’t bad in game 5. Shit happens. Overreacting to a 5 game sample is dumb and bad. Flames don’t need more “grit and heart”, that’s how you get contracts like Neal, Brouwer, Lucic, and Russell. The only thing chasing “grit and heart” gets you is bad contracts you need to attach assets to to trade or buy out. They need more speed, and to stop playing TJ Brodie altogether.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Monahan was invincible and part of the problem was Gaudreau was trying to do it on his own without his center.
    *invisible* haha - what a gaffe!

I'd be surprised if TJ isn't moved during the off season.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I'm not sure what series you were watching, but he certainly didn't just show up in game 5. Monahan was invincible and part of the problem was Gaudreau was trying to do it on his own without his center.
    0 goals, 1 assist, minus 2, 16 shots in 5 games.

He was invisible.

Did you ever think Monahan was invisible because Johnny Hockey, not the other way around?

Gaudreau was definitely bad in the series, he just wasn’t bad in game 5. Shit happens. Overreacting to a 5 game sample is dumb and bad. Flames don’t need more “grit and heart”, that’s how you get contracts like Neal, Brouwer, Lucic, and Russell. The only thing chasing “grit and heart” gets you is bad contracts you need to attach assets to to trade or buy out. They need more speed, and to stop playing TJ Brodie altogether.
    While the Flames players were the ones who got outplayed, I agree, they don't need a huge personnel change. I honestly think this series boiled down to coaching. Peters made very few adjustments to help the flames (aside from inserting Valimaki into the lineup). He kept the Backlund line against the Avs top unit despite them being dominated over the majority of the series, and didn't alter much of anything else as well.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    0 goals, 1 assist, minus 2, 16 shots in 5 games.

He was invisible.

Did you ever think Monahan was invisible because Johnny Hockey, not the other way around?
    You proved my point. 16 shots in 5 games is far from invisible. He was trying to do too much on his own, probably out of frustration.